Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » just curious...any horse owners here?ot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just curious...any horse owners here?ot
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since I was a kid I've wanted a horse, and someday I'll get one (and don't send me emails trying to talk me out of it)

Just curious as to how many horse owners we have here.

A:)

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 (occasionally sane) horse owner here with 22 clydesdales (& about as many cattle, a few chooks, guinea pigs,2 cats & 4 dogs- oh and six children & a wife too). How can I help you?!

[ August 23, 2004, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ernie Balch
Resident

Member # 3545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernie Balch   Author's Homepage   Email Ernie Balch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A,

I wouldn't want to talk you out of anything but consider this.

I have a friend who took his stock options and bought a farm near my house. They always wanted horses so now they have them. He called me yesterday, after only 2 years he is heavily in debt, his health is gone his shoulder was torn, requiring 2 surgeries and he is being sued for $8 million. Almost every problem he has can be traced to getting those horses.

ernie

--------------------
Ernie Balch
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY
518-885-9899

Posts: 405 | From: Malta, NY | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've had 4 horses in my earlier years...they were cool until i got my license. i would certainly have horses again if i won the lottery and had a stable boy. they are alot of work and a huge expense(taken care of properly)...but they are beautiful animals and i LOVE the smell of them!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We owned up to 21 at one time when we were raising, breeding, and showing. We are now down to 4 Paso Finos. After high school, I wanted to be a vet but never made it very far. Consequently I do a lot of my own medical stuff.

If you get a horse, don't get a bunch at one time. My advice...no more than two to start. Remeber horses are herd animals and if you only get one, they can get depressed.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B Daniel
Visitor
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Daniel   Email B Daniel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrienne,

We have two spotted saddle horses. We get a lot of enjoyment out of them. It's a beautiful sight to see them run in the pasture. We've gone on some wonderful trail rides, seen sites you can't see from a car window.

On the flip side, they do entail a lot of maintenance. More than most other pets or livestock. (think cleaning stall in the cold of inter) And you will spend some money-feed, hay, vet visits, shoeing, tack, trailer, truck that can pull a trailer-the list seems endless. We still don't have the trailer yet, we rent one occassionally.
As long as you are prepared, you will do fine.

--------------------
Beth Harrell
Harrell Signs & Graphics
Murfreesboro, TN

Posts: 86 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Root
Resident

Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Root   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Root   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrienne:
We have one 28 year old appolosa mare. Got her at 2, sold her at ten and bought her back 10 months later. She's like one of the family and lives 40' from the shop. I often see people drive up and go see the horse before they see me. I've made her marketing director and she works cheap. Gets along great with her goat buddy.

--------------------
Rob Root
Root Cellar Signs
Waubaushene,
rob@rootcellarsigns.ca

point and click until it works

Posts: 55 | From: Waubaushene, Ont. Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depressed???

Oh great, now we need a psychologist to keep the horses from hanging themselves!

Hey Adrienne, if you want horses, get em. Horse people are a breed all their own. The only thing worse than camping is camping with horses(lol). I have friends who do this.

All kidding aside, most horse people really love the animal, and take good care of them... sometimes relate to them better than they do humans.

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rented many horses. Usually $3 for 52-58 seconds.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having owned 8 horses.....How do I spell relief?

H O R S E G O N E

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Adrienne, I have a horse..a nice little arab mare. I've had horses all my life, and always say that the only thing I do better at than artwork if riding horses. I absolutely love them and would not be without one and as far as the work and expense, I guess to me it's worth it. I used to show them, had a couple of cutting horses, a reining horse, just about everything but a racehorse. Heck, Ive moved my horses with me from IL, to Colorado, to Wyoming, to New york, and back to Illinois. My advise is if you want one that bad, get one. They are beautiful, wonderful creatures, and riding is the best therapy! :)Kristie

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
..."Almost every problem he has can be traced to getting those horses...
quote:
"Having owned 8 horses.....How do I spell relief? H O R S E G O N E"
HEY! if I had 8 cats, it would be a lot of expense and work!!!

I'm planning on getting only one, and when you consider how much some ppl spend on fishing...movie rentals...going out to eat....collecting sports stuff.....heck, look how much I used to spend on going to Letterhead meets!!!!......

I have enough pasture to feed several horses year round (with some additional grain)... my nieghbors all have horses...

Some women go through their pre-menopausal years getting choked up when they see babies....it's horses with me....

Yup...gonna get me a horse...mind's made up.....it won't have a chance to get depressed, we love animals and it will keep me from getting depressed!

Ian...Clydsdales??? MAN! That's something! Tell us what it's like to have so many huge animals..

Oh, and everyone, I'd LOVE to see pics of your horses, !

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Ellis
Resident

Member # 3529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Ellis   Email Dawn Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey A, have you considered contacting horse rescue organizations and adopting a precious horse in need of a loving home?

--------------------
Dawn Ellis
Signs by Dawn
Long Beach, CA
signsbydawn@aol.com

Trust yourself. Listen to the voice within. It is always right.

Posts: 456 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a regular basis!!

Most are past riding age, and some are not rideable due to other problems.
One is supposed to be a good trail horse, but is blind.(?)
But....I keep looking.

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrienne,
Let me elaborate.

We had 5 horses when we got married. One was mine and 4 were hers. We sold mine and two of hers, then later sold another. The last one to go was a beautiful black quarterhorse with long smooth-riding pasterns...extremely comfortable riding horse. Not only that but he could really fly. He was so well trained too and responded instantly to knee and neckreigning, and you could shoot a gun from his back. But he ate some bracken fern and died. I really missed him the most. So, we were out of the horse business for awhile. Later we bought two more but didn't keep them long.... they just weren't what I wanted. Later, my brother-in-law gave the kids an old horse named "molly" . She was very gentle and great with the kids but after a few years she too died at the ripe old age of 34.

This Saturday, we finally got rid of one we were boarding for my borther-in-law. She bullied my cows, and had taken to wheeling and threatening to kick at people who came close in the pasture. I won't put up with that.

I would like to one day have a nice appaloosa or buckskin and the wife has always wanted a palomino. But, they take a lot of time, attention and money. Maybe one day we will get some more. My youngest son wants one now.

Being your NEIGH....bors have horses, I would strongly advise against buying a stud. Take an experienced horse-person with you when you go to look at one. Watch their eyes and their ears. The eye is the window to the soul....goes for horses too. Get a gentle one, well trained, and comfortable to ride. Have fun.

[ August 23, 2004, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Kerr
Visitor
Member # 4661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Kerr   Email Dale Kerr       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALways had horses as a kid growing up, from morgans to Arabians even a clydesdale. My sister still has two AQHA Horses, and looking at buying the third one, for the handsome price of 10K CAD for her eleven yr old daughter... They are not cheap, we pay 300-500 / month for board up here in some parts plus vet bills, trucking to shows and so on. Get deep pockets and you will do just fine. Giddy UP!!!!
Dale

--------------------
Dale Kerr

Posts: 221 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A, have you considered boarding horses? That way you aren't responsible for the animal, you make some income and you still get the enjoyment of having them around.

We've had our quarterhorse for about 5 years now. She's 25 and I got her for ME to ride as I didn't need to impress at my ripe old age of early 40's. [Wink] I grew up with them and needed one in my life again. I have enjoyed her so much and have since quit riding due to back and neck pain but Cody is now taking over my saddle.

Our (hayfield) property feeds her for a year and she has pasture so there's no added expense there. She doesn't get injured, could be luck but we keep no junk in the fields, they are flat and smooth and the fences are top notch safe and she has no one to pick a fight with.

She costs us $25 every 3 months for a ferrier and yearly shots by the vet. Pennies compared to what others claim horses cost them.

My advice would be, only get what you can afford. Several horses = several vet and ferrier bills. One horse = one vet and ferrier bill.

Nothing wrong with boarding horses and having one of your own. You still get the advantage of the herd companionship without the expense and responsibility.

If you have enough property, see if you can get a local farmer to cut hay for you on your own property. He gets 1st and 3rd cut, you get 2nd, you pack it in the barn yourself but he does all the cutting and making the bales and fertilizing. No money exchanged. This is what we do, hence no need for machinery.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a miniature horse... 'Glee'. She was a rescue and was in poor shape when we got her. Less than a year later she is like a brand new horse. Sleek and trim, full of spirit, the vet can hardly believe she is the same little horse.

Rebecca has a pony, 'Chi' on our property too and they get along well. We have two carts which Rebecca and Janis are training the ponies for. And both of the little horses are gentle and calm when the younger kids ride them under close supervision.

We also inherited a goat 'Billy' when we bought the place... no extra charge. [Smile] He can be a handful but is much more sociable since he has all the extra company since our arrival. Once the BIG bully, he now plays second fiddle to Chi.

And then there's the three pigmy goats who are a barrel of laughs on a constant basis. 'Merriment', 'Mirth' and 'Pansy.'

The animals do cost money, the ferrier and vet are on a first name basis. We have to feed them bailed hay as our property isn't big enough to support them. And you can be sure that there's the sacks of grain, and the special treats like carrots and such.

We are about to spend a whack of money on new fences, and then there's the new the barn we are planning which will be hidden inside a mountain, which the goats will also be able to climb.

There are feeding and cleanup chores to do each day as well.

But the animals have added a wonderful dimension to our lives. It's calming to look our the window and see the animals grazing. The horses and goats all greet us noisily in the morning as soon as we open the kitchen door or drive up in the truck.

Nephews, nieces and friends all will grow up with memorable experiences because they came to our place.

I have no idea what the animals cost... we don't keep track and don't measure their value in that fashion.

Like the work I do for a living... we made choices and are living our dream.

-dan

[ August 23, 2004, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrienne, that advice about taking an experienced horse person with you to buy is the best advice out there.

We bought our horse at a horse auction(held regularly). I went early in the afternoon, and examined each horse (except the mustang, didn't know if it was still wild). I picked up their hooves, to see if they would let me clean them. Then I would write comments about each horse in a notebook. The auction was delayed, didn't start 'till 9:30 or 10 at night. Just before the auction started, a bunch of trailers pulled up and unloaded more horses for sale.

I had to sit through a bunch of horses being sold that I had no info on. So I refused to bid. Finally we bought one.

Even though she would/will let me clean her hooves, she hates having them trimmed. We're really having to work with her on this. I think the ferrier won't come out for trimming anymore 'cause she's such a problem. The trick is to let her munch "sweet feed"(molasses over oats) while she's behaving, and letting me trim her hooves, then taking it away as soon as she misbehaves. Seems like it's working well.

All this to say I think that if I ever buy another horse, I'll bring the trimmers (blacksmith tong looking things) with me, and click then near and/or touch the hoof with them. See what the horses reaction is.

Also this is IMPORTANT: just because a horse has 4 legs, and eats grass, it's not AT ALL like other grazing animals! Very precise/fickle digestion. It is VERY frequent that horses die or get really sick from what or how much they eat. Have someone explain it to you.

Sorry for being long winded, just trying to save you some hassle.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

quote:
...But the animals have added a wonderful dimension to our lives. It's calming to look our the window and see the animals grazing. The horses and goats all greet us noisily in the morning as soon as we open the kitchen door or drive up in the truck.
We get the same enjoyment from our flock of chickens....we have 18, all pullets, two have started laying.

We shall soon but up to our butts in eggs!
But we get so much enjoyment from them all that the work is worth it. We don't keep track of what we spend in feed any more than we keep track of what we spend in cat food...our cat is part of our family.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice...and good to know about bracken fern, there is some in back of the pasture in the woods.

Before we get a horse we have work to do...removal of any poisonous plants, checking all the fences for weak spots, clean out the water trough, paint the stalls, etc.

Right now I'm aquiring knowledge, I'm fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of horse ownership.

Donna, I like the idea of renting pasture out, I've even considered offering boarding so they don't have to come out to feed twice a day.
That money will help to pay for my own horse's care.

And, I'm thinking of an interesting sign to put on the barn, something that will look really old.

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you get your van fixed, will you stop taking the horse on jobs?

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, if I needed ammo to use to get my kid to stop askin' for a horse, this would be it, lol . . . .then again, some of you make it sound SO easy!!

Like some said, if you love the animal you don't think about cost & time which is so true of my dog . . . I have no clue what it costs to own him and don't care. . . . but then again, he do'nt require field or stable . . .

My son-in-law owns one horse and assures me that we could handle owning one easily . . . .

An old school friend of mine has about 15 . . . [Eek!] and always acts as if this is entirely normal . . . then again, her husband nets about 40 thousand for installin' one crane and he can do about 6 or 8 a year . . . . she if fond of calling them "pasture ornaments" . . . . [Roll Eyes]

Miss A., I was thinkin' you might do a life-size cut-outs, realistically painted to stick out there in the pasture and get that calming, peaceful-view feelin' . . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Nuttle
Visitor
Member # 2645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Nuttle   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Nuttle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own 2 quarter horse mares and am now working at a ranch that has 65 head. A. there is some good advice in this thread....take heed. Good luck with your decision.  -  -

I edited this to add pics of my girls.

[ August 24, 2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Steve Nuttle ]

--------------------
Steve Nuttle,
http://wyocowboy.freeservers.com/index.html

Posts: 466 | From: Jackson Wy | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Hansen
Visitor
Member # 2946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Hansen   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horses!!!

We have 6 too many! 1-pony 2-work horse 3-quarter horse, we love them..but now it's hard to find time to ride them or harness them up, but we love them.

--------------------
Brian Hansen
Heritage Signs & Graphic Designs
6003 Route 495
St.Marie New Brunswick
(506)955.8885

Posts: 315 | From: St. Marie , New Brunswick | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shiela,

I'd say alot of the expense has to do with how you're set up. Some rent a barn/pasture and have to buy all the hay and grain. Others have their horse on their own land and can harvest their own hay. I wouldn't have my horse if she had to board somewhere else and I'd have to buy her food.

A suggestion for your daughter may be, check out some local stables. Sometimes they desire the horses to be exercised, or perhaps a trade, she works in the stables in exchange for riding privilages. She learns all about horses BEFORE you are responsible for your own. Better yet, you may never have to get one of your own. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Pretty girls Steve!

The thought of getting a dog or puppy makes me more nervous than getting a horse...I'm not a dog person and the thought of training, cleaning up after a puppy, well....
My last dog was an Old English Sheepdog (16yrs old), loved him with all my heart, still get teary eyed thinking about him, but to start over with a new puppy?

It has to be a farm friendly dog, something that won't eat my 'girls' (chickens) or chase my cat.

I'm thinking of the cutout idea too! [Smile]

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

We got our 2 yr old dog Jenna from the animal shelter. Her breed is part Husky so we got alot of warnings about her wandering and chasing.

She's the most loyal thing on earth! Wouldn't think to wander, even with our front gate wide open.

When we first got her home, I was worried about the horse and cats. She loves the horse, and as for the cats, well, when the cats move, then she does too. If the cats just stand there and look, she'll do the same. Cats are starting to get it just now, after a year. They come downstairs and putter around, with a lookout of somewhere high to leap when deemed necessary. I still daily in a stern way tell Jenna to STOP IT. She listens as well as a certain 5 year old I know. [Smile]

I've been playing with the idea of starting out with 4 chickens again in our encosed coop and field but trouble with chickens is, they stop laying if stressed. If there's movement, the dog will run so not sure chickens are in our future...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada

Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Doesn't sound like you will be able to have chickens like you used to..I remember you had a good sized flock all free roam (in the pen) But if you are just needing a few eggs a day, get 6 and make an enclosed run like we have, it's big enough for them to get some running around yet keeps the hawks and eagles from getting to them.

I wouldn't be without my girls!

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!