Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - Politically Correct Censorship?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT - Politically Correct Censorship?
James McLain
Visitor
Member # 4877

Icon 5 posted      Profile for James McLain   Author's Homepage   Email James McLain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I just happened to stumble across this site last Friday. I never knew sign makers had such a forum. I read some of the posts here and decided to book mark the site and return [Smile]

However, I'm disturbed to see that there must be some heavy duty censorship of this site. One the humorous topics I read on Friday has been removed?!

Someone posted a joke about a Democrat, Republican and a Southerner...I got a laugh out of it Friday and I wanted to pass the link along to a friend of mine but it has been removed! (If the author would kindly send me the joke I would appreciate it) The person authoring the post even said at the end "This is just HUMOR...don't get your panties in a bunch," or something quite similar to that. Who is the censor and why did he remove it? I hope he simply moved it to a different forum. If not, it really makes me wonder what the "rules of acceptable posts" might be since I don't remember anything so egregious in that post to warrant its removal.

[ August 09, 2004, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: James McLain ]

--------------------
Jim McLain
McLain Studios
1203 Main Street
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
jlm@mclainstudios.com

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL....this oughta be good. I'll say no more.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard!

Steve & Barb have asked nothing political or religious be posted. There are plenty of forums online for those topics & from past experiences, all it does here it cause a major headache.

P.S. This one may not have been a disaster yet, but they're (thankfully) taking a "nip it in the bud" approach. It isn't censorship, it's the rules of the board they own.

[ August 09, 2004, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Kissymatina ]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 12 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually i'll try to explain it...if you read the rules(like we all do that..right?)it clearly states no religious or political posts.

now anytime that something of the religious or political nature gets started it usually(not always)turns into some bullshyt mudslinging heated debate. its usually(not always)the same folks who get their panties in a wad...nevertheless it ruins it for the rest of us who can take a joke...even though it maybe very funny and just a f*&kin funny(hello...just some humor people)...it then unfortunately has to go byebye....its a tough job but someone has to babysit our silly a$$es...steve and barb have that lucky job. sometimes its bigger than us and some of us (well maybe me once or twice)has gotten something deleted...we all have our less than perfect days. lol

censorship??? i'd use the term loosely. if a topic causes someone here to just keep running their freakin mouth no matter how useless and moot their point may be...it will undoubtly get deleted...oh well...too bad so sad.

but with that said...this place is a great source of information by some of the most talented, gifted, funny, silly, group of folks you could ever hope to meet! i consider many here like family.

so grab yourself a cup of somethin' and keep readin'.

welcome to letterville!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep!!! What Karyn said...

I would use the term "moderated" rather than censored. The board is moderated by the owners of the website, to try and keep the topics in line with signmaking, harmless humour and sharing family experiences.

Welcome to Letterville James.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael B. Wilson
Visitor
Member # 4761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael B. Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael B. Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to what Karyn said. I was involved in a recent post that was deleted. Oh well, the rules were broken the post is gone. And like it or not there has to be rules and they are for everyone's benefit.
The amount of knowledge here is incredible and has helped me many times. Don't let things like deleted posts keep you away. Take all the knowledge you can and leave some in return!

--------------------
Mike
Mountain Graphixs
Buffalo, N.Y.
mike@mountaingraphixs.com

Posts: 10 | From: Buffalo,N.Y. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Letterville James.

Letterville is a community of sign and other graphic related professionals. We come here because we share a comman pride in our work, a love for our trade's past, and a desire to share our knowledge with others.

The most important thing about being a Letterhead is attending live meets. It's the best way to experience the Letterhead/Pinhead magic. There's always a list of future Letterhead/Pinhead Meets at Future Live Meets. Anyone not familiar with Letterheads and it's history should read A Letterhead History.

Now that you know some background on Letterheads and live meets, you need to understand that this website is our humble attempt to simulate a live meet online. As meet hosts, we have the duty to set the rules of conduct to ensure everyone feels welcome and has a good time. I'm sure you have some house rules regarding comman courtesy in your own home.

We've been at this website biz going on 10 years now. After that much time, you learn a few things. You'll notice there are no anonymous users. As business pros and "Brothers & Sisters Of The Brush, everyone must use their real names and addresses. It's a Law Of Letterville.

Posting in Letterville is a privilege. To maintain that privilege, we require that you all treat each other in a professional and respectful manner. This does not mean you must like or agree with everything you read, but there are ways to debate without name calling and personal attacks.

Topics such as religion and politics have no place here on Letterville. Experience has taught us that highly emotional discussion and opinions on certain subjects only serve to divide us. Letterville was created as an oasis where we are all Letterheads first. I've never seen a workshop on American politics or religious beliefs at a live meet and we don't want to see it here. It's just that simple. It's also the Law Of Letterville.

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2375 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GUILTY!! It was me. I did it! I'm am TRULY SORRY! I realize now that I shouldn't have done it, but I really did think it was a humorous thing and CERTAINLY did NOT intend to offend anyone, honestly! I did get a few emails that did not agree that it was humorous and I guess I should have thought twice about doing it. This is Steve & Barb's decision and they every right to make it! Looking back, I should NOT have posted it and I want to assure them it won't happen again.
It was political, but that was not my intention. I intended it as a JOKE, not as
quote:
this stupid "joke" is NOT going to make any democrat proud of the insulting generalizations that our humanitarian ethics would come before our dead families laying at our feet due to the crippling indecision of democratic thought.
[Eek!] as someone suggested! [Dunno] Wow! Someone was having a bad day! [Wink]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James McLain
Visitor
Member # 4877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James McLain   Author's Homepage   Email James McLain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I didn't read the "rules" (still haven't [Smile] ) so I didn't know there was a rule against political and religous topics.

Makes sense since so many people are overly senstive to these topics (I guess quite a few democrats had "their panties bunched up Friday").

Even so, I enjoy a good laugh and saw the humor in the post. So, Jane, if you would could you forward along a copy of the joke to me privately? I have a few friends that would enjoy the joke (they're not the "panties in a bunch" type so they won't be offended).

--------------------
Jim McLain
McLain Studios
1203 Main Street
Asbury Park, NJ 07712
jlm@mclainstudios.com

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always felt like a good flame job makes
even the most conservative looking car ride a
little better on cruise night. Sometimes the
color will have a great bearing on how the
perception may be recieved but still in all
the ride is what sets it apart from boredom.

Is that what we're talkin'bout?

CrazyJack, pinstripein' my brains out!

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve and Barb deleted one that I posted last week for the same reason. I admitted in a phone call to them that I didn't know political posts were not allowed on the site, and after watching previous ones crash and burn, I understand why. Again, it was funny, but the wrong forum and I'm sorry. Most of us, by nature, share an intensity not only in our art, but other facets of our lives as well, so we tend to be passionate about our political and religious beliefs, which doesn't always translate well thru a keyboard. I wonder if Barb and Steve sometimes wish they could just take a belt to us. Seemed to work for my dad when we broke the rules.

I won't post any more political stuff, but I probably won't get around to reading the rules, either. I'll be the guy pushing on the door when it clearly says "PULL".

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Wills:
You are poetry "in motion".....
-------------------------------
YEAH, you hit the nail on the head with that.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Steve!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

|
|
|
|
|
V

[ August 10, 2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Dave Grundy ]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread was a great opportunity to restate what Letterville is suppossed to be about. It's obvious we have to make some changes to ensure that everyone knows the Laws Of Letterville.

The best place to do that is the Register Page. This is where you apply for the privilege of posting here in Letterville. The existing text is just not clear enough. Over the next few days, we'll work on fixing that.

In the meantime, everyone needs to be aware Letterville is not the place to debate politics, religion, or any other topic that only serves to inflame and/or divide us. This include attempts by individuals to use this forum to duke it out with each other in front of a huge audience. The proper channel is the telephone or e-mail. Better yet, I suggest there are times we agree to disagree and just walk away. The satisfaction of getting in the last hit isn't all it's cracked up to be.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!