Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » faux sandstone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: faux sandstone
Jeremy Paul Taylor
Visitor
Member # 4441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy Paul Taylor   Email Jeremy Paul Taylor       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, just wandering if anyone knows what i could use to protect some faux paintwork that i am going to be doing.
I work a lot at this time of year for Historic Scotland up hear in the highlands
at precent i am working at an old cathedral,in which i have been asked to paint out some ugly
electrical box's, these box's are attached to a sandstone wall!...so the theroy is once i have painted them they wont be seen.
I have done a lot of faux painting over the years
& i specialize in woodgraing & marbling ,so i know that i will be able to pull the effect of with coinfidence,what I'm not sure about is what to protect it with!
seeing the real sandstone is matt,it would be great to know if there was a matt in clear i could use,Ive allways used yaught varnish to protect woodgrained doors,but a high gloss finish would not be suitable for this job

Anything else i could use (for outside use)
thanks in advance
Jeremy T..

[ August 04, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy Paul Taylor ]

--------------------
JEREMY PAUL TAYLOR
CABURN ST LEONARDS COURT
FORRES,MORAYSHIRE,
SCOTLAND

Posts: 73 | From: Morayshire Scotland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a bump up.

Jeremy, I have no solution for you application but I would be interested in hearing others suggestions.

What type of paint did you use? I'm sure it will dictate what type of clear coat you can use...

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

"We are limited only by our perception of our abilities."

Posts: 445 | From: Middleboro, Ma USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jeremy....Any automotive supply shop that sells paint supplies will have a "Flatting agent" available to add to whatever clear you use. The more you add the more matte the finish. It might take a bit of experimenting to get the matte finish right but it should work for you.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8883 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 16 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jeremy

I've been to the Scottish Highlands myself..Skye, Tenabrugh? You should hook up with Scott Telfer CST Signs Glasgow and Stewart McLaren McLaren Signs Stirling

scott@telfer27.freeserve.co.uk

Scott and Stewart can help you do many, many things..a great coupla guys!

[Applause]

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave is spot on with the flatten/flattening agent.

Another option is to 'dry' spray it with a clear (such as your varnish), after you have cleared it already. Use a fairly low pressure and stand further back when spraying, all you want to achieve is a 'dusting'.

The low tech solution could be to varnish as normal, wait until it is almost 'tack' free (barely leaving a fingerprint), and dab (not wipe) the surface with a scotchbrite pad or a sponge. This will achieve a light texture and reduce the gloss at the same time.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Paul Taylor
Visitor
Member # 4441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy Paul Taylor   Email Jeremy Paul Taylor       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Talisman,Dave & Mike
Talisman,i did think that this might be one topic that dissapeared of the board without any reply's .Thanks for posting!,the effect has been done today (all in acylic's even the base colour!

Dave thanks for your helpfull advice,i will definitly look into that! ,sounds very interesting !

Mike thanks for taking the time to post,i have heard of these sign company's,Its quite amazing there are quite a lot of very talanted people in the Scottish wilderness.
i would also like to say that i am a great fan of your work, which i have seen featured in signcraft over the years,keep up the great work.

--------------------
JEREMY PAUL TAYLOR
CABURN ST LEONARDS COURT
FORRES,MORAYSHIRE,
SCOTLAND

Posts: 73 | From: Morayshire Scotland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Paul Taylor
Visitor
Member # 4441

Thanks Peter,I think on this occasion i will protect the paintwork with exterior varnish!
I think what you & dave have mentioned sounds a great idea!& i will definitly have a little play with that,(something i will try in the future)

I did the faux sandstone today & i think it has turned out real well,the effect 'as mentioned' was to disguise two electrical box's that are attached to a wall that surrounds the whole cathedral,Ive know idea how old the wall is!
but it looks more grey in colour than a new block of sandstone would look.

Maybe i will be able to post a picture some time!
Thanks again for your help

Jeremy T...

--------------------
JEREMY PAUL TAYLOR
CABURN ST LEONARDS COURT
FORRES,MORAYSHIRE,
SCOTLAND

Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can flatten with a pinch of baby powder. I can't tell you how much. Just try a little, let it dry, and try again if you have too.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Paul Taylor
Visitor
Member # 4441

Thanks Laura, all these amazing secrets, 'i love
this place',Baby powder ha,I'll have to try that one aswell,Laura,will Johnstones baby powder do ? Well thats what we have this side of the pond!

--------------------
JEREMY PAUL TAYLOR
CABURN ST LEONARDS COURT
FORRES,MORAYSHIRE,
SCOTLAND

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!