Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Airbrushing On Vinyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Airbrushing On Vinyl
Michael B. Wilson
Visitor
Member # 4761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael B. Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael B. Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are thinking of adding airbrushing to our bag of tricks. What vinyl is going to stand up the best? Cast or calendered? Can we use colored vinyl or does it have to be clear? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------
Mike
Mountain Graphixs
Buffalo, N.Y.
mike@mountaingraphixs.com

Posts: 10 | From: Buffalo,N.Y. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cast

Calendared is generally your intermediate vinyl for shorter-term use with cast being high-performance.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Palombo
Visitor
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Palombo   Email Mike Palombo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had good success airbrushing on calendered vinyl. I've mainly used urethanes for airbrushing and then coating it with Frog Juice. I haven't had any complaints.

--------------------
Kandyman
KUSTOM AIRWORKS
144 Valleyway Cres.
Maple, Ontario
L6A 1K8
(905)303-9687
kustomairworks@sympatico.ca

Posts: 19 | From: Maple, Ontario Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Any colour!
Cast, but for how long do you want it to last?

[ July 19, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I have used a "redneck airbrush" (AKA Krylon spray-bomb) on cast vynull.
Always do it BEFORE weeding.
Plot it, then with a Sharpie make a ruff outline to indicate where the copy is. Spray away.
Some folks use a vynull primer made by 1-Shot. Some folks scuff with a Scotchbrite pad. I do neither.
I let air-dry for about 2 hours, then follow with 1-Shot UV Clear in a spray bomb. Let that dry about an hour then weed, but do not mask until just before applying.
Other "airheads" use Createx paints and an airbrush, which is probably the correct procedure.
I once had failure with auto body basecoat/clearcoat.
That's pretty much why I prefer to paint a nice wet blend with a brush! No vynull needed.
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use vinyl screenprinting inks on both cast and calendared films.

I had problems with 3M cast films rolling up on the edges, seems that stuff is really soft and the inks really bite into it, but the repositionable adhesive doesn't have enough initial tack to keep it laying flat. Had this same problem when using Krylon too.

Avery A8, A6 and Neschen Pro Gloss don't seem to have this problem.

I like using the inks. Even though they smell pretty aweful they don't require any vinyl prep - no pre-cleaning, no scuffing, no clearcoating either. Other than wiping off fingerprints it's just as simple as removing the job from the plotter, hanging on the wall and spraying.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Avery makes an enamel receptive vinyl, but, as Ian mentioned, longevity is the question. It's only got a life of 1-2 years for outdoor applications, is only available in white and is made more for temporary/indoor signs.

I've used the Krylon Fusion paints to do simple fades on lettering. It's designed to adhere to plastics and works well on both cast and calendered films when done in the method Jill described.

I've done this a couple of times when using the airbrush for more detailed shading and highlighting.....
I cut the letters and apply a light coat of UV Clear before weeding. After drying overnight, I use 1Shot lettering enamels through the airbrush, allow time to dry, then weed and apply.
So far it's worked well and the bonus is that you don't have to worry about overspray/masking on a vehicle since the airbrushing is done on the bench.

Hope this helps...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike..I airbrush on vinyl all the time.

My method is to use auto basecoat/clearcoat. cut the vinyl, spray the basecoat, wait 1/2 hr and spray the clearcoat, wait another 1-2 hrs and weed.

Warning though...if you lay the basecoat on too heavy it WILL wrinkle the edges of the vinyl.

I don't scuff or use any kind of base "primer", just wipe off fingerprints etc. with PrepSol ot RapidPrep.

Only "real" failure was identical to what Mike Pipes mentioned, edges "curling" and in my case it was on translucent vinyl.

I do the sparying on Avery A8/9 and on 3M 220 series.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael B. Wilson
Visitor
Member # 4761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael B. Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael B. Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your help! I did pretty much what you suggested Jill. The edges curled which I guess isn't all that unusual. I was using a calendered vinyl and Krylon.
I'm gonna try a cast vinyl next and see what happens.
Dave, what kind of paint do you use when airbrushing?

--------------------
Mike
Mountain Graphixs
Buffalo, N.Y.
mike@mountaingraphixs.com

Posts: 10 | From: Buffalo,N.Y. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike..I use R-M basecoat/clearcoat system. The basecoat is laquer based and the clearcoat is catylized urethane.

Works great for me (in a spray booth with proper respiratory protection)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a water-based airbrushing paint here called Tautflex-air. It really bites in,and is TOUGH. However, you need to keep light or you also get edge curl as mentioned above.
A Taxi I did almost a year ago in reflective lettering with an orange to clear fade is still as good as the day it was done.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!