Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » eyecandy - unwanted gridlines ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eyecandy - unwanted gridlines ??
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody know why I got these tile lines after running the "bevel-boss" filter on this heart?
 -

it was 10" x 10" @ 300 dpi
when I reduced it to 1" x 1" at 300 dpi it came out fine, so I guess it is some limitation to how large of files eyecandy can handle, but I would still be interested if anyone knows specifics on these limitations?

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Levesque
Visitor
Member # 4374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Levesque   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Levesque       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug

What program are using, I know in Adobe Illustrator I have had problems with printing because of the same type of panelling grids, which have to be set up just right along with the printer you are using. Never noticed them on the actual graphic. but I don't have eye candy. Not a lot of info especially from a novice like me withoout the program but maybe it can get you headed in the right direction.

--------------------
Dave Levesque
Angelo Sign
3014 Hemlock
San Angelo, TX 76904

Posts: 82 | From: San Angelo, TX | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drew the heart in illustrator, but the eyecandy filter was done in photoshop & the lines showed up right after leaving the eyecandy interface to apply the filter. I didn't print it until after switching to my lower resolution version w/o the lines.

It's for a preliminary proof for a logo for my friends bio-feedback service that supposedly can help people tap into their bodies own natural relaxation techniques & learn to activate this at will.

-

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doug,

I've tried to replicate the problem, created a 12" object @ 300dpi, applied bevel boss filter in eyecandy (photopaint) looks perfect... [Dunno]

Tried both rgb & cmyk ... no lines...

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug I can't help you with you filter problem but I like the direction of the logo. Only one comment if I may and that is the black against the red copy. It takes away from the legibility. Maybe a soft gray shadow? And instead of the red heart against a black circle maybe an acutal hurricane photo of the clouds filling it in?

[ July 14, 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Bob Stephens ]

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,

I get the same thing ALL the time with this filter. How do I get around it?

A few ways:

1.) You can select the "heart" and give it a Gaussian blur (Photoshop standard filter) effect until it blurs into pixels around it....or

2.) I will often use the "clone" tool to replace the "grid lines" with adjacent "good" pixels.

Let me know if you find out "why" bevel boss does this....I've been unhappy with this too.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys...
Bob, I am working on the changes you suggested & will be posting the results in a few minutes. I had never seen that hurricane icon that I guess you have on signs in Florida, but the client asked for that. I found several photos instead & worked up stuff with them, but he still wanted that shape. To me it was awkward & out of balance, besides having never seen it before, it just didn't "say" hurricane to me. I put the sawblade spin on it to achieve the balance I wanted, as well as create movement. I blurred it to drop it back in importance & hopefully let the clients desired icon come through enough for him. I have one I did before the sawblade idea that has actual photo texture inside the "S" shaped icon, but I hate losing the eye because thats the coolest part... same problem with your suggestion so far... clients damn heart is spoiling the true "calm" in the photo [Smile]

Todd... I figured out how to get around the gridlines...

email file to Trannie!

--------------------
Doug Allan

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Some logo improvements inspired by Bob...

-

--------------------
Doug Allan

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,

Who's Trannie?

Also....I posted your question on the EyeCandy support forums....if you go to their site:

www.alienskin.com

and select "News" from the top of the page and then "What's new" .... you will find the forums there and can navigate to the eyecandy 4000 section and find my post.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Thanks for posting Todd... hope we both get some answers.

..till then...
Trannie (Tranny?) says "no problems in Photopaint

--------------------
Doug Allan

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I be trannie...

I tried again and still no lines... untill I adjusted the 'smoothness slider' up higher.

Try it agian with this slider set lower, I guess everything has compromises.

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Yep ... that's it

with smoothness at 80 it looks great, with smoothness at 90 ... line city

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

thanks Mike!
(saw you referred to as trannie in 2 different posts just this week... so I just figured everyone knew that nick 'cept me [Dunno] )

--------------------
Doug Allan

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Doug - here ya go....

Todd,
I got your message and your forum posting. I believe that the grids are being caused by a bug that should've been fixed in the latest version of EC 4000. To get that latest version, just click on the link below. Reinstall EC 4000 from this new installer.

ftp://ec4k:677853RDFcvxswOkn@ftp.alienskin.com/win32/eyecandy4000.exe

Regards,
Jerry
Tech and Web Guy
Alien Skin Software
http://www.alienskin.com
(919)832-4124 x134

I'm going to try updating my EyeCandy and see if this solves the problem.....

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug its really shaping up nice! Any way you can turn the black outline around your sawblade into something a little less harsh? Dark navy blue perhaps?

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Doug,

Scratch my last post and my email to you....I just tried another sample with the smoothness turned up and Voila! Detestable gridlines!!!

Anyway, thanks to "Trannie" for making this detail known. I'll have to avoid the extreme smoothness knowing "grid lines" will result.

I'll repost on the EyeCandy forum these findings.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Thanks Sultan... er, I mean Todd [Smile]

Bob, I actually made a change on that for the version shown above which is 100% cyan, 50% black

I may print it as a double hit of spot Teal on the final job, or teal with an overprint of shadowcast foil, so it should be lighter then what is shown. Thanks for the suggestions, combined with the smaller heart, & some photoshopping of the greyscale image I had... I am pleased with the results.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

I blame 'Jillie' for the 'Trannie' [Wink]

Glad we found solution... I had a lightbulb falsh somewhere in the back of my mind when you mentioned the grid, couldn't remember exactly what it was 'tho

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Doug,

Also finding out that it is evident on a 300 dpi file, but not a 150 dpi file......interesting.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Yep! it's a keeper. I like the look and I bet the customer will to.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Todd, yes that is interesting, I think it may have something to do with file size, not neccesarily resolution, because as you may have noticed in my first post I re-ran the filter on a smaller 300 dpi file with no gridlines.

Bob, here was one of my earlier concepts:
A radar scan superimposed over the Davinci dude, highlighting color coded chakra blips (no attempt made at new-age accuracy in colors or locations of "alleged" chakras)

-

--------------------
Doug Allan

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

The final word.....

I just received an email from Alien Skin (EyeCandy 4000) and the tech stated like Trannie that you have to keep the smoothness below 80 on the Bevel Boss.

He was able to recreate the problem when smoothness was set above this number....

Sounds like a problem to me, but that is the word from the manufacturer.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

DaVinci dude is nice also but the new one is better in my book for the client. Simpler too and I always like simple.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

I don't see it as a problem Todd, more as a limitation. It's always good to know where the limits are if you want to push them. [Smile]

I must agree with Bob's 'simple is good philosophy'

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Hahaha Mike! My philosophy has always been simple [Applause]

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

yep... I guess simple is a good philosophy I need to learn. I spent twice as much time on the stuff that got rejected then I did on the stuff that got selected. The client is totally stoked & praising my ability [Eek!] ... & I think he enjoyed getting to see various ideas, but he selected something very basic like he had in mind from the start.

It looks a little crappy in this image, but here is what he wants (he will choose a few different colors for different purposes)

-

--------------------
Doug Allan

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

I guess those at AlienSkin consider it a "bug". Smoothness adds an edge softness to the bevel. I have had to work around the gridlines several times...because I really wanted the full 100% of the feature...cheers. [Wink]

Quote:

Todd,
I let our developers know of this bug, uh, I mean "feature," and they are going to work on it for Eye Candy 5: Impact. In the meantime, just keep the Smoothness slider down below 80.

Regards,
Jerry
Tech and Web Guy
Alien Skin Software
http://www.alienskin.com
(919)832-4124 x134

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!