Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - Computer Question - Scandisk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT - Computer Question - Scandisk
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to do a defrag, but it says I have to run Scandisk to fix errors. That's fine... BUT... it can't seem to get through the entire session. Its says something about having to restart 10 times.

I went through the background and turned off everything running except explorer and systray.

I don't know what else to do... any suggestions?
Thanks!!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like something is running in the background...like anti-virus.

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dana,

Did you disable the screen saver?
When running scan disc I also kill the modem by disconnecting the cable line.

[ July 13, 2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Alan Ackerson ]

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
LetterWorks Design and Graphics
alan@ack2.com

Posts: 776 | From: Oak Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana,

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and see the programs that it lists...that's everything that's running. Turn off everything but the basics like Explorer. That will insure that the ScanDisk will not be interupted.

BTW, you don't HAVE to run Scan Disk before a defrag, it's just their suggestion. I've done it plenty of times without it but you will have the same issue with it restarting if you don't close all the other programs first.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best way to defrag and scan is to run it in Safe Mode. No interfering programs to get in the way.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I turned off the internet, turned off all screensaver stuff, control alt deleted everything off except systray and explorer, exited antivir, exited everything I could in the lower tool bar... STILL get the warning window that it has started 10 times.

I will probably have to do the safe mode thing. But I don't understand why it won't work with everything turned off? Am I missing something here?? I remember it working in the past.

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safe Mode is the best wawy Dana...'

Good Luck !

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2279 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vote number three for safe mode. USe safe mode..

Windows has a couple of programs that run in the back ground you will never be able to turn off.
Such as the quick find indexer. It runs no matter what and this one is almost always the one that makes your scandisk restart so many times..

Running in safe mode does not load all the oer head that scandisk cannot get along with.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hubert Furey
Visitor
Member # 3951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Furey   Email Hubert Furey       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dana,

See this link to a Microsoft technical doc. It will list a variety of things to try.

Thanks

--------------------
Hubert Furey
Technical Support
Cadlink Technology Corp.
Ottawa, Canada

Posts: 26 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Hubert... THANKS!!! That's exactly it!

You guys are the best! [Applause]

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Frank Droog
Visitor
Member # 3958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Droog   Email Frank Droog       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hardware is not my specialty.
I thought all harddrives where 1:1 spin ratio these days. So the harddrive can seek to any sector as fast as any other. Therefor defrag is irrelavent as it provides no speed increase.
Or am i wrong.

--------------------
Frank Droog
SignLab
programmer

Posts: 91 | From: ottawa,ont,Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Droog
Visitor
Member # 3958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Droog   Email Frank Droog       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hardware is not my specialty.
I thought all harddrives where 1:1 spin ratio these days. So the harddrive can seek to any sector as fast as any other. Therefor defrag is irrelavent as it provides no speed increase.
Or am i wrong.

--------------------
Frank Droog
SignLab
programmer

Posts: 91 | From: ottawa,ont,Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Wakefield
Visitor
Member # 4816

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Ron Wakefield   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Wakefield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dana,
The others have good suggestions; especially about Safe Mode. Down the road however you should consider a third party utility like Norton System Works which includes Speed Disk (defrag/optimization utility). I've been keeping my PC's running in tip top shape over the years and it's been very helpful. Just a thought.
-Ron

--------------------
Ron Wakefield
Signs by Ron
Southington, CT
ron@signsbyron.com

Posts: 71 | From: Southington, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defragging??

Yes it makes a diference in speed. If your data is allover the disk it takes time to acces each section and read it. If it is all in one continous line the seek head does not have to travel looking for data. Each seek goes from FAT to data back to fat to find the next packet back to FAT to find next packet etc. All this in mili seconds but times that by 100,00 seeks just for one packet then you see it will take time.

Small files don't matter much. Bigger files do matter. Especially if you are rendering DVD's or graphic files.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Droog
Visitor
Member # 3958

Thats what i dont understand.
I was told that the seek time from any sector to any sector is the now same for any drive less that 10 years old. Therefor it is irrelevant if its defragged all over the place or contiguous. I understood ,but may be wrong, that it is only OLD OLD (8088 - 80486 days) where the seek time is differant.

Or is this false advertizing.
If the seek time to ANY sector is the same, and yet a defrag does speed up performace, where does this speed up come from.
Just curious, cause if seek time is the same, whats the point of defragging.

--------------------
Frank Droog
SignLab
programmer

Mindy Cassingham
Visitor
Member # 4802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mindy Cassingham   Author's Homepage   Email Mindy Cassingham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Computer drives are so fast now, that you are only gain milliseconds of saved time. And drives are so large that it takes hours to complete the task. So what are you really gaining? Lost time that the computer can't be used while it is sorting its files to gain maybe .003 second faster seek time.... think about it.

Now with a good solid unix based operating system, there isn't even a user function to defrag a drive. The operating system keeps track of the superblocks of data and consolidates them as required. In old school Linux/Unix systems, there is a chkfs command, which corrolates the data addresses to the data location. This command runs automatically when required. It is so unnecessary, that Norton System Works has been discontinued for the OS X platform.

It's easier to make a user friendly bullet proof Unix based operating system than to fix Windows many many issues.

toodles

--------------------
Mindy Cassingham
Way Out Ideas, LLC
182 W Main Street
Green River, Utah

Posts: 13 | From: Green River, Utah | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!