Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » NEW OPPORTUNITY GO MOBILE---...WHAT TO DO??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW OPPORTUNITY GO MOBILE---...WHAT TO DO??
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings From Sunny Michigan, Fellow Heads:

Got an "opportunity" to pick up a Ford step van with 56K on it, (looks like a navy blue UPS truck). Would be perfect for a mobile sign shop. Wired for 110, has rear heat and a spot to install A/C with cabinets and work benches already in place. Pretty fair shape.

My question is how successful can a mobile sign shop be? I am an old Trim Liner, so I am used to the hustle & pace. What should I be cautious about? What is my target market, and what kind of return could I expect? Thanks Heads!

Regards,

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3489 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Bussell
Deceased

Member # 3746

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Danny Bussell   Email Danny Bussell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Race Tracks is just one big one how about grand
openings service a bunch of mom and pop bizz.

--------------------
Danny Bussell
Tujunga, California

Bootleg on Chat

"Keep The Rubber Side Down"

Posts: 213 | From: Tujunga, California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Rick??? Yer not makin enough money already???

Ya wanna go mobile and put OP out of work too???? [Eek!] [Eek!]

I'm sure if the price is right, and you want to do "that thing", it could be a profitable idea.

At the very least, when the wife gets mad at ya you'll have a comfy spot to sleep!!!!!!!!! [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say buy a hot dog machine, a pop corn machine, freezer for icecream and go sell concessions, you'll make more money and no training required for employees [Razz]

[ July 02, 2004, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, this is advice I could of used years ago Bob.
Maybe I will pass it along to my son.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor OldPaint...he's in for some competition!

-

[Dunno] [Dunno] [Dunno] [Dunno] [Dunno] [Dunno]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Si..You have WAY TOO much time on yer hands!!!!!!!!!! [Applause] [Applause]

Rick...Grab Si's layout before this thread gets deleted!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not let the opportunity pass. You already have a retail operation,as long as you have someone that can "mind the store" while you're out in the van there is no better sales tool. You can stop at a million strip malls and storefronts,construction sites and subdivision sites over the course of M-F and can sell a huge number of those people on window lettering,hours on the door,magnetics,anything they need right now or have just been too complacent to get around to doing....or just flat out leave them a card.If you view it as a separate,stand alone trimline type buisness its going to tank...you can't serve two masters. If you view it from the perception of an asset/compliment to the retail store you'll do quite well and get your foot in alot of doors you normally wouldn't....you need to do it yourself,put an employee in it and theyre gonna cut alotta stuff for cash,make a good living at your expense and crash the truck into everything that moves before they stop at the gf's house...ask me how i know.
Despite of what so many here want to believe,people are much more apt to deal with you repeatedly because they met you,you were nice to em and fair with them on price & service than they are to see drive by and just be so awestruck by your sense of design that they start a citywide manhunt to seek you out and cant sleep till they find you......the easier they think you are to deal with the more apt they are to continue the relationship and refer you to others and the easier it will be to upsell them on future projects. You always sell more when you're out in front of people than by sitting back,and everyone likes service...no better service than being right there right then....and they're probably not gonna cry for paying a tiny bit more for getting it right then versus waiting 5 days. Remember 90% of the world in general not only couldnt tell you a nice sign design from the crap they make themselves,85% of that 90% couldn't tell you the first place to go to get one and will take anyones recommendation,which will most often be that of your competition,no reason that can't be someone sending you to a friend thru referral because you slapped 9-5 on their door for em. Remember,someone is going to make that money on those types of sales and the ones that do are probably going to be the ones that make the money on the big $$$$ job b/c the customer is already familiar and trusting with them,might as well be you.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many times have you been on the job and the guy next door approached you asking about a sign? You will have your shop right there and can strike while the iron is hot. You will get the "impulse buyers."

In addition to race tracks, you can set up at fairs, carnivals, rodeos,festivals and the like. Are there any small towns near you that are without a sign shop?

The blue color will be a nice background for tricking it out. It will be advertisement in itself.

Good luck.

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A truck driving around is the biggest image injection you can have in town.

As Gavin says, Its an add on for your bizz. Drive it to lunch. Drive it to installs. Drive it around doing errands. You cannot go wrong. Park it in front of your bizz when not in use. It's a mobile billboard. Make it nice enuf inside to make you comfortable. Park it at the local festivals and make it a base from which to visit the events. Park it in a strageic spot so every one can see it.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.P has the corner on this market, does he not/

Wheres O.P.

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gavin..I am sure you made some excellent points. But as several folks have mentioned in the past. (and like me right now)

Try using paragraphs.

Just double click the "enter" key at the end of a thought and keep on typing.

It's easy.

I know you have valuable info that you contribute, but quite honestly, many folks lose interest when everything is run into one long paragraph. (it is hard to go from the end of one line to the beginning of the next line when there are that many lines)

It is hard to read, from line to line.

I am in no way criticising what you are saying Gavin. Just reiterating what others have mentioned about the "paragraphs".

I know what it's like to type when an idea comes in my head..I forget about "HOW" it's typed and concentrate on "WHAT" is typed..Then I have to go back and space things out.

If you want folks to read your longer, valuable, messages Gavin, please consider using "paragraphs". [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a racer, I personally think race tracks will not do much for you. When I am at the track I am focused on winning, not getting my trailer lettered. Racers come to the track with enough money for pit passes, tires, and fuel. PLUS, you will have every Ricky Racer trying to get sponsorship.

If you want to get some racer money, find out when they have their swap meets, they bring cash on those days.

Another target market could be truck stops. you can do some pinstiping or lettering in the lot, maybe even find a lot lizard or two. [Eek!] (sorry, couldn't resist).

If you want to travel, head to places rebuilding after Hurricanes and such.

(edited to add paragraphs [Wink] )

[ July 03, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Jerry VanHorn ]

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree w/Gavin, it's a rolling bill board!! Use it daily...

One trick I used to generate new business was to pick a nice office/business park and my wife would park her car in lot under shade and later I would pull in in decorated shop truck and a wad of business cards and set up and pinstripe her car where it sat. By end of job, I had booked at least two other jobs for later at shop. That night back at house/shop, we took thinner and cleaned off her car. worked everytime and lessened times I HAD to work a truckstop, hate that market.... [Wink]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,i understand and what you're saying and i dont take offense, but if the only reason people read what i have to say is because i write a certain way, or say things in a certain way, then they're probably choosing what posts to read for the wrong reasons.I read a question,type the answer as i'm thinking of it and hit enter..done. I dont go back and re-read it 11 times,edit it up to make it look super polished or spend an hour wondering what people are going to think of me because i posted something....i just do it, b/c I figure those who want to read what someone has to say will,and the ones that don't,won't....i'd rather say something here and have one person read it and feel like it helped em than try to please the masses, cuz we all know that ain't bout ta happen. I have, however, considered not adding paragraphs but just switching to all capital letters like bob burns.

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Magoo, good thinin, when I used to run a body shop, I would call my friends on slow days "bring your car down" I'll wash for free,(so I can park it in the front lot all afternoon) worked every time.

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definatly see some mixed feelings here. Thanks for your feedback. Will keep you posted. Anybody else?? [Smile]

[Thanks]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3489 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry is right about the race tracks...not the place to sell vinyl. The trade shows are a better deal, however, so many racers are buying plotters the race car market is very, very competitive these days. Guys falling all over to get the work. I'd be willing to bet half the field at a local track have free lettering jobs.
Truck stops are another iffy one. It used to be a good source for work. Nowadays most won't let you on the lot . If they do, you have to be heavily insured.
The mobile deal has been tried around here a few years back...don't see them anymore.

There was a guy on the BB back when it first started from out West somewhere that had a fleet of mobile sign shops. He said they were very profitable. Seems like he sold out though and never came back around. Anybody remember him?

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4324 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i just got back form a weekend vaction trip to a small town 30 miles from panama city fl. now i dont advise makin long trips but this was the way it went: got outa town stoped at a rest stop on I-10. was stretching, and one trucker walked up and asked what i did. he got a card....2 mins later...another trucker...he to got a card(now this was 50 miles from home.)
got to the destination....3 kids chased me down the road....thought it was the ice cream truck.......noooo but wanted to know what i did....whent to the camp ground....3 more cards.....on the way back SUNDAY...stopped for gas ...lady behind counter wanted a windshield banner...but didnt have her car.....went to wally world, fruck thru a wheel weight....3 more cards handed out...... THIS IS A NORMAL DAY IN A MOBILE SHOP....last thursday was getting tires checked and balanced locally....guy was havin tire work done..needed a windshield banner, helvetica white 40". wanted to know when i could do it i said AS SOON AS HES DONE WITH MY TIRE...the guy was amazed....$30 for banner, and $10 fro the tire work....thats a good ratio.....hehehehehe i luv my mobile shop......cant go anywhere with out getting inquires or work......it makes me money while iam havin breakfast...AS LONG AS YOU DO A BANG UP JOB....EYE GRABBING....ATTENTION GETTING LETTERING AND PAINT SCHEME.
there is another one round here.....but its just another "vinalla white box truck", and hes a younger guy and used this hard to read ...funky graphix lettering like on skateboards.....you can drive right by it ......and not notice it...

[ July 05, 2004, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!