Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Some old pictures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some old pictures
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week, a neighbour loaned me a 1936 copy of Kelly’s Directory for Chesham and Amersham. Chesham being my hometown, I was fascinated to see what businesses were around some twelve years before I was to show up.

There was an advert for Norman and Son Signs. Later I was to work with Eric Norman (the son) as his career was winding down. His work was held in the utmost awe by all the other local writers. I know he would have cringed at some of the basic layout blunders committed in this advert, many due to the limitations of letterpress, no doubt.

-

I don’t recognise the work on the A.W.Pope vehicle at all, though it was probably done locally. It has a lot of the naivety that lent canal and wagonworks lettering its charm.

-

With a final southward push, The Great Central Railway joined the Metropolitan Railway and the last mainline into London was complete. Sadly, it was far to late to be part of the Great Age of the Railways and would never really flourish.
However, a serious attempt to increase passenger traffic did succeed to a degree. The plan was to fill the countryside surrounding the G.C.R. with good quality, inexpensive housing. As the plan came to fruition, suburbia eventually stretched its tentacles all the way from the outskirts of London to rural heart of Buckinghamshire, generating zillions of homes for fare-paying commuters; this was “Metro-land”.
Metro-land was marketed with films and posters; the advertising featured idealised families, in idealised houses, living the good life. Stepford Wives abounded! A particular style of artwork was developed for the posters, drawing heavily on the art deco style of the period; an example can be seen on this wonderful old removals lorry.

-

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neato!

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Bussell
Deceased

Member # 3746

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Danny Bussell   Email Danny Bussell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really Hip Slik and Cool... [Cool]

--------------------
Danny Bussell
Tujunga, California

Bootleg on Chat

"Keep The Rubber Side Down"

Posts: 213 | From: Tujunga, California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groooooooovy, Arthur!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to add a old truck like that just park it in the shop in front of a huge window for advertising thanks for sharing

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Osborne
Visitor
Member # 4569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how the display ad (although type-set) is still 100% better than most printed ads you see today!
Great stuff Thanks for sharing those.

--------------------
Wayne Osborne signs
Midhurst W.Sussex U.K
www.osbornesigns.co.uk

"When happiness shows up always give it a comfortable seat"

Posts: 353 | From: Midhurst ,West sussex, Britain | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Scargill
Visitor
Member # 2258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Scargill   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Scargill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Arthur,
Great stuff,I see the phone number on the advert only has 3 digits, now we all have 6....how times have changed ! !
I like the art deco lettering on the removal van, not a digital print in sight, thanks for sharing, Brian.

www.brian-the-brush.com

--------------------
Brian the Brush
brian the brush uk
Yorkshire, UK
www.brianthebrushuk.com

Posts: 123 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks for sharing that nice stuff, Arthur!!

Very nice pictorial on the Bishop & Sons truck and we know no digital printer were used!!

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 14 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great stuff. I was really struck by the layout and letterstyle used on the moving van, would look great today! Super clean.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4324 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!