Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » can I prime sandblasted redwood w/ spraycan ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can I prime sandblasted redwood w/ spraycan ?
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking at shortcuts to meet a deadline & I know most "short" cuts cost more then they save... but I have two sandblasted redwood signs that just got blasted today. It's about 7:30 PM & I'm about to offload them from my lumber rack & get the compressor out to blow all the dust away.

I have only done about 5 other sandblasted wood signs & I've usually painted them with a brush. getting in all the low spots take time & I wondered about spraying. I'm not set up for spraying with a compressor & paint gun, but just for the primer I wondered about getting a few cans of aresol primer?

Tomorrow I will be painting them with a custom mixed color out of 1-shot.

I could just brush on the primer, but saw a possible time savings if it won't have adverse consequences.

Any opinions available here at this late hour? (I'll check back after getting them prepped)

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only experience with primer in aerosol cans has been Kilz brand. It comes out with a speckly texture. Huge chunks of pigment. Relatively speaking. I wouldn't use it to prime a sign. But that's a really heavy primer.

[ June 26, 2004, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Dusty Campbell ]

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guess I'll do it properly. not wanting to risk 3k worth of signs on un-proven ideas just to save an hours work. Figured it was worth asking in case people do that. Stopped in chat... consensus against spray can. Thank you as well for the reply Dusty.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, I've never found anything in an aerosol can to last as well as out of a paint can, and on wood, I'd capitalise that statement. But that's just me. I've not used redwood, nor your primer. Some areosol cheapy primers can't be overcoated too quickly with enamels either.

good luck!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

what a dumb idea... I should rename this post "signs of sleep deprivation" sometimes feeling too tired to do things right may be an indication I should take a night off. [Smile]

anyway, I brushed on a nice thick coat of primer on the first 2'x 10' & took less then an hour. So as soon as I figure out where to fit the other one in my shop I'll be an hour away from going home. Dang shop/office remodel job still has the whole place in dissarray. Hopefully this weekend I can put things back together somewhat now that construction is done.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, spray can.... no way. When I had a whole lot of signs to stain once I tried a regular spray gun. I was using oil base stain (no priming necessary). The spray gun does not get the paint or stain down in all the grooves. It did save me some time on the huge job. What I had to do though was spray and then brush it all in to get complete coverage. I did save the time it takes to dip the brush a thousand times.

I have always stained my redwood background with oil. Sign Life stain is a good quality stain but has limited colors. I've also had great results with True Value oil stain and they can mix that in many colors.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Dave, that oil based no-prime-needed stain does sound like a time saver. I got some good advice via email & decided to go with 100% acrylic latex paint instead of 1-shot for the finish coats. I was confident that I was getting advice based on experience & decided to follow it. I'll let you know in 5 or 10 years if it lives up to expectations [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Tom Bahr
Visitor
Member # 2925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Bahr   Email Tom Bahr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, I do alot of redwood & cedar signs & I'm always looking for quicker ways to get them done, (while not to compromise quality). One of these tricks is to apply your background stain or paint or primer with a brush, but instead of being very careful & conservative, slop it on in excess. I mean rally use extra. Let it pool. it should take less than 1/4 the time & it gets in the fins much better this way. Then when done, vacuum with the shop vac. You'll have to have a separate hose for this. Very little or no paint ever reaches the vacuum tank, it all gets stuck to the sides of the hose. Then just hang the hose above a garbage or drip pan overnight. This will suck up all the excess & give it very good coverage. It's a real timesaver for me.

--------------------
Tom Bahr
Custom Signs of St. Cloud, Inc.
St. Cloud, MN
320-255-0588
tbahr@astound.net

Posts: 71 | From: St. Cloud, MN | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!