Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Question Regarding Heat Presses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question Regarding Heat Presses
Dylan Cooke
Visitor
Member # 4687

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dylan Cooke   Email Dylan Cooke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

We run a medium sized sign shop. We've been operating for just under a year now. The equipment we are using is a Gerber EDGE, along with a Gerber GS15 Plus plotter. It is a 15" sprocketed system.

There is a material we can obtain called "SmartBlocker", used for heat transfer images onto clothing and such. We have done a small amount of experimenting with this material, and decided we would like to start selling more product using this material.

We have decided to invest in a heat press in order to transfer this material onto clothing, etc. However, before investing, we thought we would post on the Internet to see if anyone is in a similar situation and has advice to offer. Our questions are as follows:

Which brand/model/style of heat press works best with a 15" system?

Are used heat presses worth looking into (quality-wise)? If so, where should we look to find used heat presses?

Where can we buy new heat presses from?

Which distributors/retailers are known to be reliable?

Please keep in mind that we are from Canada, so it's in our best interests to deal with distributors from Canada (to try and prevent customs headaches).

We look forward to your replies. [Smile]

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Dylan Cooke
Vinyl Signmaker / Computer Systems Administrator
Imagine That
734 First Ave. North
Saskatoon, SK
Canada S7K 1Y1
Tel: (306) 244-1380
d.cooke@wowmail.com

Posts: 6 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best advice is to learn how to use a search engine.

If you type in a question to Google.com you will find damn near everything in the world.

I have a Knight heat press and it works very well. If you want to search for a used one just go to eBay. But buyer beware, heating elements do burn out.

Expect to pay from $700-$1400 US dollars. Once you invest in a heat press you might as well buy an Epson printer set up with sublimation inks. Then you can sell many other products besides textiles.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob's right...there's plenty of places online that market heat presses, both new and used.

Should you decide to buy used, expect the termostat to be off a bit on older models. After a few years use, the heating elements tend to tire out a bit and run slightly cooler that indicated. Finding one you can get replacement parts for would be a good thing to consider as well.

Hope this helps...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Paul
Visitor
Member # 4200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Paul   Email Mike Paul       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Knight JP14 clam press. Works fine for the small orders/short runs I do. It costs about $400. I replaced the thermostat a few times but never had a problem w/ the heat element.
Mike
Auto Graphix

--------------------
Mike
Auto Graphix
New Jersey
graphix@nac.net

Posts: 32 | From: Butler New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dylan Cooke
Visitor
Member # 4687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dylan Cooke   Email Dylan Cooke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks fellas,

Oh and for the record, I know how to use a search engine... but I figured I would ask you folks for your opinions, seeing as you're 'in the biz' and all. [Cool] I did do some searching on Google, and have come up with quite a bit of info... and now I'm just looking for individual opinions on these things. [Smile]

I was sorta looking for opinions from those in a similar situtation, on which makes and models work best with our equipment.

Thanks in advance for any further replies.

[ June 23, 2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Dylan Cooke ]

--------------------
Dylan Cooke
Vinyl Signmaker / Computer Systems Administrator
Imagine That
734 First Ave. North
Saskatoon, SK
Canada S7K 1Y1
Tel: (306) 244-1380
d.cooke@wowmail.com

Posts: 6 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is a 16x20 "Mighty Press" made by Stahls.
I think it was about $650 or $700US brand new.
Works fine. Getting ready to do 62 shirts with it today.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a HIX model for awhile when I was a screenprinting shop... didn't use it, traded it for my first digital camera... later bought an edge & happened to find another used one for $100 (I forget make & model) works great! I don't push the edge printed shirts much, but Have done well when the roght opportunity arises. It's not worth it to do them below $20 each, & not many people want to pay that. Even at that price it's not worth doing less then 4 or 5 minimum, but too many more then that & they could get them silkscreened, but with complex 4-color process designs that are more difficult & expensive to silk screen... I have done well on orders of 2 dozen shirts. I haven't tried much "smartblocker" type stuff, but have done a few. if simple weeding, they are even more profitable.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can afford it , get one with a timer,...once you start doing this kind of work you'll be glad you did.
Get some of the "pillow" type of accessories that slip inside of garments that have buttons or snaps that will get in way and cause singeing of garment.
Machine that swivels is desirable.

Get a screenprinting magazine and look to buy from manufacterer or at least get idea of products. Some companies manufacturer for others.

You pretty much get what you pay for with these units, so stay away from Cheap.

Good luck.......

I have not been into it for sometime, but I know you can find some message boards etc.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Nichols
Visitor
Member # 2842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Nichols         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Stahl's HOTRONIX for years- very nice unit- programmable with different settings and could even turn itself on in the am to be ready when you got in. Swing away units are easier for volume work, and has been said, dont scrimp- a cheap one will cost you more in the long run. Stahl's has lots of matl options. Gerber makes heat transfer flock that is bulletproof.

--------------------
Jay Nichols
ALPHABET SOUP

~the large print giveth and
the small print taketh away~

Posts: 176 | From: SW Florida | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!