Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Chemical Paint Stripers- What's good for removing latex paint?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chemical Paint Stripers- What's good for removing latex paint?
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering repainting some redwood signs. /They have been painted with latex paint and are peeling. What are some good chemical paint strippers? Would a heat gun and scraper be better? Thanks for any advise.

Diane Balch

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1701 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diane,
That could be messy!
I would use an orbital sander on the raised areas.
If the background is peeling, A stiff brush will work.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dianne I have done this in the past and can not remember what product that we used to remove the latex paint, and underneath layer upon layer of multiple colors of paint was a 20yr old nice routed sign, I would just go to the hardware store and look on the back of bottles for one that removes latex...I would say to test it first but since you are trying to get the paint off what is the worse that could happen?

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Bussell
Deceased

Member # 3746

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Danny Bussell   Email Danny Bussell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Product name is "Aircraft" Blue can with pictures of boats cars and aircraft. usually found in automotive paint stores, PPG [FYI]

--------------------
Danny Bussell
Tujunga, California

Bootleg on Chat

"Keep The Rubber Side Down"

Posts: 213 | From: Tujunga, California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gavin Chachere
Visitor
Member # 1443

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gavin Chachere   Email Gavin Chachere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Aircraft stripper Danny is talking about is excellent but its also probably the nastiest and most aggressive out there that you can buy...you can literally total a corvette with it inside of 30minutes or less if you're not careful...its not going to be gentle to the wood at all,and if there is any damaged spots it may not end up well....anyplace that you previously sealed/edgefilled/sealed up cracks etc will have to be redone...it takes the bondo etc off vehicles right along with everything else. I'm not doubting danny can use it successfully but he more than likely has done it a few hundred thousand times and knows the work window hes dealing with,i would be really hesitant to use it on something like that the first time i fooled with it...just $.08

--------------------
Gavin Chachere
Plotter in the garage,New Orleans La.

"Sgts Shugart and Gordon again request permission to rope down to crash site two"

Posts: 1223 | From: new orleans.la. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a lot of paint strippers here work very well on enamels & lacquers, but are messy & poor with acrylics. Investigate it well. I find sanding works better (with acrylics) if possible.

best wishes!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use "Aircraft" all the time on solvent base paints on metal with good results, but can't say yea or nay as to how it deals with latex. It will, however, soak into the wood, and that will cause you problems. It costs around $23 a gallon around here.
I can say for sure that "Goof-Off" and "Goo Gone" do absolutely nothing to dried latex paint in spite of their hype. There are two recent developments in sand paper that work, one is a light grey color and the other is green and made to grind down latex. Both cost more than other papers, the green runs a couple bucks a sheet.

Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Milos
Visitor
Member # 4743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Milos   Email Mike Milos       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try a pressure washer. Thats what we use to get latex off of a house before we paint it.

--------------------
Mike Milos
PrintSation
Banner D-Signs & Graphics
489 S. 13th Ave
Brighton, CO 80601
303-726-6513

Posts: 50 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray MacDonald
Visitor
Member # 3558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murray MacDonald   Email Murray MacDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd use Circa 1850 stripper and a stiff brushh. Works well and won't harm the wood or the glue joints. I'd be very nervous using a pressure washer...I've drilled holes in cedar with one!
MUR

--------------------
Murray MacDonald
OldTime Signs
529 Third Ave S
Kenora, ON.
P9N 1Y3
oldtimesigns@gokenora.com

Posts: 781 | From: Kenora, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony McDonald
Resident

Member # 1158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony McDonald   Email Tony McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I have redone some furniture in the past. About the time we were done we found a much easier way. Before this method we were trying to sand, scrub the cracks with a tooth brush, etc...

We used the thin liquid stripper (not the gel) We put plastic and newspaper down and then set the furniure legs in four pans to catch the slop and reuse. Get some rubber gloves, a long sleeve shirt, eye protectant, and some steel wool. Wet the area you want stripped using the steel wool, and let it soak for about 15 minutes or so. Then getting it wet again with the stripper, scrub the surface with the steel wool keeping it really wet. Keep dipping into the pans to keep the steel wool soaked and the paint washes right off. When done wash it off with whatever the stripper can says to use.

It's a pretty messy job, but works great. Just don't get it all over you, in you eyes or blow yourself up!

--------------------
Ace Graphics & Printing
Camdenton, MO. USA

acegraphics1@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1196 | From: Camdenton, MO. USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray MacDonald
Visitor
Member # 3558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murray MacDonald   Email Murray MacDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony
Having done a ton of furniture in he past, i agree with everything you say, except the steel wool. If you refinish using any kind of latex, such as on a sign background, those tiny bits of metal that the steel wool leaves behind will come back to haunt you in the form of rust. A stiff brush works well, with a brass brush for the tight spots. Circa 1850 makes two varieties of stripper, light and heavy body. I've always had better results with the light.

MUR

--------------------
Murray MacDonald
OldTime Signs
529 Third Ave S
Kenora, ON.
P9N 1Y3
oldtimesigns@gokenora.com

Posts: 781 | From: Kenora, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the line on the back of the can that says "let the stripper do the work". I've used 3M Scotchbrite pads (you know a green scrubby) rather than steel wool, a scraper, and brass brush. Also a set of probes kind of like dental tools you can get from most hardware stores for in the grain. Down in the grain may also have a thicker layer of paint, so a second chemical bath may be needed. You'll want to make sure all the residue is gone/neutralized too or your new paint won't like it. Personally, I really hate to strip paint.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!