Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Question about learning Corel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about learning Corel
Henry Miller
Visitor
Member # 4751

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Henry Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,

One more question, if you've read my post below you would know that we are going to purchase a Summa D-60 and I have decided to use Corel with it, but really don't know the software very well. Does anyone know a good training program (preferably on cd) that I can purchase to learn corel?

Thank you,
Debra

--------------------
Henry Miller
Liquid-FX
Fredericksburg, VA
liquid-fx@adelphia.net

Posts: 10 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.unleash.com

you should find everything you need.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Miller
Visitor
Member # 4751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rove,

Will check that site out.

Debra

--------------------
Henry Miller
Liquid-FX
Fredericksburg, VA
liquid-fx@adelphia.net

Posts: 10 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McDonald
Visitor
Member # 3433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McDonald   Email David McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The unleash site is great. If you go to Google and search for 'corel draw tutorial' you'll get a ton of good stuff.

--------------------
David McDonald
Palm Harbor Florida USA

david@dlmcdonald.com

Posts: 102 | From: Palm Harbor FL | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I still say the very first thing you should do is take a day to go through the tutorial that comes with Corel. Then after that and not before open any number of good books. I have seen people that did not do the tutorial and I have seen people that did it and took the time. The people that took the tutorial learned Corel way better.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Miller
Visitor
Member # 4751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I will plan to do that, I have two days off coming up next months, so will probably spend some of that time concentrating on that. I have gone through some of the Corel tutorials that came with 8, but it was a while ago so I need to just redo the whole thing.

I have been looking at some of the tutorials that are listed on this site and they are great. Me and my husband are definitely going to have to become letterhead residents here soon. You guys have been most helpful.

Thank you,
Debra

--------------------
Henry Miller
Liquid-FX
Fredericksburg, VA
liquid-fx@adelphia.net

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debra...By all means go to unleash.com and check it out, it is an excellent resource. Also, use the Corel tutorials and the built in help files. But, best of all, ask questions here. You may not get "instant" answers but you will get answers.

When I started using Corel, there was no Letterville as a source of information and unleash probably wasn't around either. In fact I wasn't even online back then. It was "read the book" and spend every spare moment "playing". Now, about 11 or 12 years later, I still only know about 20% of Corel's capabilities and learn something new all the time.

Above all..have fun!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL [Dunno]

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don....LOL????

That's it?

No comment??

Seems to me that if a person takes the time to read a post and then takes the time to reply, it might warrent something more than an "LOL".

Are you trying to make a statement?

Please enlighten all of the readers.

And I DID notice the "smiley face". Just wonder what you mean by "LOL"

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...and ONLY because ya asked.

Do ya realize that 10 to 12 years using a program on a regular...pretty much exclusive...daily working basis, and admittedly only knowing 20% of the program after all those years and hands-on hours.....is a higher learning curve than learning to takeoff and land a space shuttle?

Hey, ya asked. I thought that a simple LOL said the same thing, but guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the explanation Don. Guess I am not quite as bright as I thought I was.

But then none of us are.

WITH EXCEPTIONS of course!! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

If what you stated was accurate, I think Corel has a bridge they'd like to sell ya.

--------------------

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, I consider myself a 'power user' of Coreldraw but rarely a day goes by that I don't learn a new trick, twist, or shortcut. Program is just so feature rich. Today I learned how to sequence auto-numbering on a 12 up lay-up, 25 page print in such a manner that the numbers are in correct order after the job is cut, took 6 clicks... try that with illustrator. I've got better control printing booklets from coreldraw than with indesign and I had to pay $100us extra for the crappy booklet plugin for indesign. One thing for sure that Adobe does better, is collect money...

Corel 12 comes with a nice interactive multimedia tutorial on cd 4 or 5. Nice little course.
Books by Rick Altman have also been a favorite of mine.

[ June 17, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: TransLab ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read and learn, and am fascinated. And there is Debra, who calls herself Henry Miller, and refers to a husband, right after I wonder if she is from "Tropic of Cancer" or "Tropic of Capricorn." ( you are laughing now, Debra, right??)
To be topical here, let me say that I have never become too conversant with Corel, and like many other things, be they personal or sign related, I have relegated learning more about them to a back burner for when there is a little spare time in my life. ( I work in Signlab now, after being the Casmate Queen, and close to the last holdout).
I think about stuff like that currently. I'll be 60 in a week,and the post where I mentioned this already got deleted in a sweep of a deleted thread. So I mention it again for anyone who wants to feel sorry for me.

What I want to comment on though is that I just find it calming to come in on something that is smolderingly discussed and then see Mike O'Neill's kind face and his input which is valuable and unaffected by the periphery.

I don't know you, Mike, but I like you a lot.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I think you may have missed my point...somehow. Don't know how, though.

You're saying that you, too, only know 20% of the program? That was my point, in case you didn't catch that. And it wasn't a slam on Dave's intelligence, either. I just can't imagine a program being so hard to learn that you could use it every day for over ten years and STILL only know 1/5 of it. That's just absurd.

And Myra...the only evidence that you could be anywhere near that age is if you are traveling with your son.

--------------------

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got as far as installing Corel 9 on my computer but it used too much memory so I deleted it. The fonts were nice to use with my Graphix Advantage, after owning it for 6 years and still learning a new trick about it here & there.
Everyone acts like Corel is so easy. I plan to read all the books that came with it but I would rather read romance novels. And supposedly you can't cut from it with my plotter, so why bother?
I think it's kinda funny that Debra types for her hubby. I can just picture it...."Honey, go on that computer and ask such & such...." It's obvious that she has grand ideals for them as a signmaking couple. I seem to recall that Henry is a body man? Perhaps they both should look into pinstriping and flames, which are more fun than any old computer program anyway.
Love...Jill [Wink]

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Baird
Resident

Member # 3495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Baird   Email Terry Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don,
Corel isn't that hard to learn. I've been using it since Corel 4 and if I know 20%, it's a miracle. The point that Dave and Mike were obviously making is....the program is so rich and ever changing with features that even experts can continually learn something new.
Most users stay with their particular field concerning the program whether it be publishing, signmaking or even fine art illustration because there's just so much to learn. Web sites like unleash are critical to to continuing learning curve and well worth dropping in once in a while. If i could learn it all in a matter of a few months or even years, I'd feel cheated.

--------------------
Terry Baird
Baird Signs
3484 West Lake Rd.
Canandaigua, NY 14424

Posts: 790 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Terry... Now that you've pointed out that their point was obvious, it all makes sense now. Sorry if I was a nuisance...have fun

--------------------

Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, you definately need to upgrade your computer if Corel takes up too much memory.

You don't know what you are missing, not using Corel. With all the filters you can export to any format you need on any other programs.

The learning curve is so much shorter than any Mac programs I have ever used. Even the Mac Gurus will admit to long learning curves.

Enough of the Mac Bashing.....Again, Jill, you don't know what you're missing out on.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Miller
Visitor
Member # 4751

Wow,

I didn't expect to get so many responses.

Jill, yeah, I type a lot for my husband on many sites (mainly because he is not a good typist and I get agrivated watching him type). No, my asperations are not to be a "sign couple" as you say. My husband is a auto body painter, so he doesn't want to make signs so to say, but more use the plotter for masks for his painting, and get into vinyl graphics (that's where I come in, being the computer junkie in the family, and having the computer training), and possibly get into vinyl lettering. We will leave the sign making to you professional sign makers, we have absolutely no experience in it, and really wouldn't know where to start with that.

I thank everyone who has given me their advice on learning corel, you guys really are a friendly bunch.

Debra

--------------------
Henry Miller
Liquid-FX
Fredericksburg, VA
liquid-fx@adelphia.net

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Debra....
I am glad that Henry has such a helpful wife! And you never know....maybe you could be a sign couple. It's been done before!
Just a word of caution....my friend found out the hard way yesterday after I had cut him a mask on my plotter out of MacMask....it is NOT for automotive paint!!!
Seriously, my son is a budding auto body guy. He just uses fine-line tape and masking tape to mark out flames and mask off stuff. And I have seen others hand-cut transfer tape to make masks.
I know that I am out of my territory giving advice like that, but I have seen it done, and by folks who frequent this BB. And as for Corel, maybe I will reinstall it or get some more memory.
But I'd still rather be reading a good book.
Love, Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Miller
Visitor
Member # 4751

Hi Jill,

My husband knows a lot more about this stuff then I do, and of coarse he's not here with me right now. But, he used to work with a harley painter here in VA and they used a plotter to cut out masks, I'm not sure what kind of vinyl they did use, but it always worked, they never had a problem. It seems to be a growing trend in the custom painting world, it frees up more time (from what I hear).

My husband is also an motor cross rider, and we plan on eventually making stickers for dirt bikes, he's worked with vinyl making stickers before and knows how to weed all the colors together and such. I really don't know much about it, only what I've been reading here and other sites on the internet, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before we make a jump into this. This site has been very informative for me. I know you guys probably hate when new people come in here from outside the industry asking all sorts of questions, so thanks for being so kind and helpful, it really is appreciated.

Debra

--------------------
Henry Miller
Liquid-FX
Fredericksburg, VA
liquid-fx@adelphia.net

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill...Just a little tip for you about the paint masks. I used to cut masks for an aircraft refinishing company (before they bought their own cutter). The SPECIFICALLY instructed me that they wanted the masks cut out of 3 mil vinyl. They told me that paint mask material was too thick for their purposes and left too much of a ridge when removed.

I did this for 2 or 3 years and they never mentioned any problems, so I assume that it is a very viable (and cheap) alternative. The paint they use is very aggresive too.

Just a thought, for future jobs! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
1-519-262-3651 Canada

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

David McDonald
Visitor
Member # 3433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McDonald   Email David McDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone posted this link many moons ago: Corel Tips and Tricks It focuses on tools and some other basics.

--------------------
David McDonald
Palm Harbor Florida USA

david@dlmcdonald.com

Posts: 102 | From: Palm Harbor FL | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...possibly get into vinyl lettering. We will leave the sign making to you professional sign makers.
[Wink]

--------------------

Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don Coplen:

Neat! I just found your comment about me and considering that you and I have met, and that you are not likely to give me, a genuine kneejerk proud liberal, A PHONY COMPLIMENT, chances are this is what I need to pull me out of my doldrums.

I don't feel that old, and if I don't look in the mirror, I don't look that old, either.
Thanks!
for the compliment. I consider it an early birthday present.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myra, I guarantee you that wasn't a phony compliment. You're an attractive lady and appear a good ten years younger than your drivers license says. Glad to have brightened your day a bit.

--------------------

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] Thanks for the vote of confidence Myra, I just want you to know I've always had a thing for older women [Wink]

Have a great birthday...

[ June 18, 2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: TransLab ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My knowledge of Corel and my ability to accomplish everything I could possibly imagine has been a 15 year relationship that has been far better than my 18 year marriage to my ex wife!

Corel doesnt argue with me over stupid crap. It just does everything I want and is the greatest tool since my pencil.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debra,

I too am just learning... [Cool]

I found this site and find it very easy to follow.

http://www.huntfor.com/design/tutorials/coreldraw.htm

Good luck,
Joe

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

"We are limited only by our perception of our abilities."

Posts: 445 | From: Middleboro, Ma USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!