Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How do others save, old job files ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do others save, old job files ?
Kent Moss
Visitor
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Moss   Email Kent Moss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am working from PC,windows 2000 pro,Gerber omega 156. Would like info. on how to save or back up jobs on disk or whatever? My comp. is a Dell precision 330,with a built in CD burner.
I am worried something could go bad w/ my comp. & all past jobs be lost.

Thank You...

--------------------
Kent Moss
Greg Moss Signs

Posts: 363 | From: Wilbraham, MA / Charleston,SC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a 160 GB external drive yesterday just for that purpose. It uses USB or USB 2 and set me back $150.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry VanHorn
Visitor
Member # 4704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry VanHorn   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry VanHorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I back up on an external USB harddrive. You can get a 300 gig HD for less than $150

--------------------
Jerry VanHorn, Pres.
Pure Sports Designs, LLC
Pro Sign Design / United Wholesale Signs
www.prosigndesign.com www.unitedwholesalesigns.com
West Liberty, OH
937-465-0595
866-942-3990
Since 1990

Posts: 925 | From: West :Liberty, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Milleker
Visitor
Member # 4572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Milleker   Email John Milleker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent,

What are the normal sizes of your jobs? You mentioned a CD Burner, will your jobs fit on CD? Perhaps you can look into a DVD Burner. They are really cheap nowadays and the media is about $1-$2US a piece. Thats 4.3gb of storage space. Cheap enough to devote a DVD to each job. The burners come in internal and external USB1&2 and Firewire.

Beyond that, tape is still an alternative although slow, but storage space is greatly increased.

Important stuff I always make two copies of. One for my local storage and one to put away in a cool, dry place. In your situation you may find the need to store your second copy offsite.

quote:
Originally posted by kent moss:
Would like info. on how to save or back up jobs on disk or whatever? My comp. is a Dell precision 330,with a built in CD burner.

--------------------
John Milleker
Baltimore, MD

Posts: 42 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't trust magnetic media - hard drives, floppy disks, flash drives, tape...
Optical media (CD or DVD) is easily the most secure option.
Assuming you have the software loaded for your burner IE: Nero/Adaptec etc, you simply put in a rewritable CD, fire up the software, add the directory that contains your job files, click on the burn button and remove the disk when completed. Then you can save the job as a template and use the template to re-backup to the same disk at a later date.
Don't forget any other critical info that might be on the computer such as desktop folders, Outlook Express Identities/email, Outlook .pst files, My Docs, .wab (windows address book) file/s, bookkeeping data file/s...
For the money a DVDRW is cheap insurance.
HTH,
David

--------------------
David Fisher
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Services
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com
Trying out a new tag:
"Parents are the bones on which children cut their teeth
Peter Ustinov

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Jenicek
Visitor
Member # 2281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Jenicek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use CD's and a Zip Drive. If you watch the sales at Best Buy, etc, you will be able to obtain CD's FREE...after a mail in rebate.

--------------------
Barry Jenicek
Signs by Unique
St. Louis, MO

Posts: 34 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!