Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT...Yuppie Scum...OT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT...Yuppie Scum...OT
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heads.
I knew last week was too good to be true.
Today was my day to face-paint at Justis' school. I have done this for years.
I paint cool stuff like skulls and flames and paisley swirly things, freehand, amidst yuppie soccer moms using stencils to paint insipid butterflies and flowers.
I gave up a whole day of work to do this. It's volunteer, but it's fun and rewarding. Justis was all stoked.
A new mom is in charge this year. I finally found her barking orders to another mom and I asked where I was stationed. She pointed at this map with the hand that wasn't holding her water bottle.
I asked if the paint was already at the table. She said "We're not painting this year. We have temporary tattoos."
I told her I would go home and get my paint (I have a face-painting kit) She said "We can't have just one person painting. We are doing tattoos."
I told her thanks but no thanks. [Mad]
I refuse to contribute to something that shows kids that you can just peel off a sticker and it's instant art. It is devaluing to me and demeaning to them.
Justis was disappointed but he understood. He said "I'm not getting one of those stupid tattoos!"
To add insult to injury, on the way home, I saw someone who had used my artwork to get stickers for their pickup. It was a guy I dealt with 2 years ago when I was stupid enuff to hand him a sketch because he promised to return. A year later, when he was out of town, his wife came back and wanted to re-work the color scheme without his consent. I told her I wouldn't change it without his approval. Apparently she found someone who would.
GRRRRR
Love & thanks for listening.
JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Jill from Sunny Michigan!!! [Cool] [Cool]

To heck with the "Volvo driving soccer moms" You cant teach culture to dorks.....you did the right thing!

Regards,

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, I am just feisty enough that I would have gone home, got my face paints and a card table and set up my own little area just outside Little Miss I'm In Charge's domain and done my thing! Who does she think she is!? And when she came over to rant, I would have smiled sweetly and said, "But Whatever her name is, Don't you want our children to learn creativity?! I just assumed that this was OUR fair for OUR children. You wouldn't want to disappoint my son, would you?" loudly enough that at least her entourage could have heard it. Also if you tell your son ahead of time to get a very sad look on his face on cue, that would be helpful. [Wink]

I think it is the old hippy protester in me!! [Razz]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, I love the description [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Jill, this is just another sign that "modern" society now thinks that
STICKERS ARE ART !!!

(sorry... more clip art flak here...)

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jill,

Wanna *really* burn up those yuppies? If they want to do tats they gotta do 'em right - show up with a real tatoo gun and ink!! HAHAHA!!

Ya oughta try facepainting at a Special Olympics event. That's a trip! Those kids get so excited they laugh and contort when the brush touches 'em, leaving a smudge of paint with no recognizeable form whatsoever - and they roll away all happy and proud about it. Simple pleasures. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

I'm fortunate in Emily's school that they have an all inclusive mentality of WHATEVER any parent can do or will do, DO IT.

Why could'nt you have had both tattos and painted??
That's what we did at Em's school carnival, along with bunches of other activities. It was my first stint at face painting and I loved it!!

Unfortunately, you have those "control-freak" mothers who I think might be a tad jealous of your talent or are afraid it might look like you are "doing more" than they are if you do something popular or very well.

I'm thankful that we have a principle who will nip those attitudes in the bud and allow EVERYONE to do anything to help because the bottom line is that it's for the kids and she wants everyone involved.

This summer I will get to, 'er have to? lol.... paint the columns in the 3rd-4th grade hallway to look like giant pencils and rulers. It is my fourth such project that "pays" for extended school-day care for Em'. Someday, I will send Ms. Judy some pics of all of it to post for me.

Anyway, mabey you could talk to the principle or someone who's over the control-freak (she's not the "last-word") and have any kind of activities y'all want there!!

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nothing like encouraging kids towards real tattoos early in life.

Will they be doing fake peircings next year?

[ June 08, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Janette Balogh ]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Bussell
Deceased

Member # 3746

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Danny Bussell   Email Danny Bussell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill Question who put the YUPPI Scum Incharge Start there for next Year or it will stay, that B-tch can't DRAW . YOU CAN HAHAHAHAHA [Cool]

--------------------
Danny Bussell
Tujunga, California

Bootleg on Chat

"Keep The Rubber Side Down"

Posts: 213 | From: Tujunga, California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg McRoberts
Resident

Member # 3501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg McRoberts   Email Greg McRoberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Good one Nettie. How true that is.

--------------------
Greg McRoberts
MacSign
Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 388 | From: Dayton, Ohio USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Justis came home from school carrying a shrink-wrapped set of 2 temporary tattoos.
He said that a lot of his little friends were asking where I was.
I did try to call the school principle (feeling like a tattle-tail) but he never called back.
Maybe a new volunteer Yuppie mom will show up for this event next year.
What I will do when I offer my services again is to state that I will be there with my own card table as Jane suggested, using my own supplies.
It's ironic that when I was looking thru Justis' yearbook, there was a whole page dedicated to this yearly event, and most of the kids in the photos were sporting my face painting.
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 13 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jilly,
I quit my job yesterday because of a similar Yuppy Gestapo attitude. I, sadly, happen to be a smoker. I smoke out of the building in the parking lot, summer -winter- rain or shine. It was a warm day here in Mass.
The boss comes out and tells me that one of the employees is complaining about my "second hand smoke" getting into the building and threatening her health. Mind you I am 30 feet out in the parking lot at the time. He said I would have to go out to the street and smoke. UT OHH.... Pushed wrong button with me, as the person complaining is the same one who uses ammoniated windex every day to do all her icky sticky work...MSDS sheet anyone...(she refuses to use non ammoniated window cleaner and heaven forbid the Rapid Tack everyone else uses.) Her work table is right behind mine... I have never complained, nor would I...She is great designer, and all around terrific lay up person...She likes Windex, so what, no big deal...
BUT!!!! "Go to the street and smoke because your cigarette smoke from out in the middle of the lot is effecting her health." Do not ever play me for a rube... See you later boss.
There, now I feel better...

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Cox
Visitor
Member # 3517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this may be a little OT... but does anyone know where I can find a FREE... I mean truly FREE site that has face painting images I can use? I told some kids I'd do it, I have an image in my head and I can't seem to find a good pic of a rainbow or an ice cream cone... I really need the site to be FREE.

Dave Cox
That Sarcastic Sign Guy

--------------------
--------------------
Dave Cox
C2 Media Services (Formerly That Sign Guy)
dave@c2mediaservices.com
--------------------
Full Color Printing

Posts: 295 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let it get to you. Just SMILE and realize how good things really are and apply those tats with the love those kids deserve.

Dusty

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I'd go so far as to label someone "yuppie scum".....but it sounds like the mom mentioned does have an attitude problem.

Are you sure that was a "water" bottle she was holding?! It might have been an over-the-counter enema, which if that was the case....she'd probably be in a better frame of mind AFTER it's use. Hehehehehehehe

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, sounds to me like she really needs something from the adult toy store instead. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not touching THAT one kissy hahaha

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kissy -

Haha....ya never knowwww! She sounds like a dominatrix to me...scare-reee. hehehehe

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!