Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » i want to learn to pinstripe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i want to learn to pinstripe
Tyler Malinky
Visitor
Member # 4693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler Malinky   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Malinky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is to all you hand stripers out there, I need some advice on getting started striping. I am into building old Triumph choppers and old hotrods, and would love to be able to stripe my own vehicles and have it look good, as well as striping everything in my house to practice.

my email is tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com and my phone is 440-479-8129. any advice much appreciated, I really love the classic pinstriping style, imagine pinstriping on flat black rat rods. I need some advice on a couple good brushes to order and mess around with, and I have some one shot lying around, as well as some black lexan and glass I can practice on...

I am in Cleveland, Ohio, and the Detroit meet is coming up, any stripers in attendence that I could get some hands on experience with? Keep in mind this is all new to me, I mostly do graphic design work and do vehicle and trailer lettering (vinyl). But I am dying to learn!!

Cheers,
Tyler

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com

Posts: 60 | From: Parma (Cleveland), Ohio | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Palombo
Visitor
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Palombo   Email Mike Palombo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pick up an Excalibur striper. Awesome brush, real easy to do curves with.

--------------------
Kandyman
KUSTOM AIRWORKS
144 Valleyway Cres.
Maple, Ontario
L6A 1K8
(905)303-9687
kustomairworks@sympatico.ca

Posts: 19 | From: Maple, Ontario Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
I striped a 1940 triumph years ago. Idon't remember much about it except that it had two lines- one inner fine and a 1/8" 'broad' line 1/8" away from the fine line, both in the same colour, running aroundthe edges of the guards, and around the sides of the tank. The owner had a decal for the name, to go on the tank, but I lettered it instead.
There was nothing fancy about any of it, just precision & neatness! (it gives you the heebeegeebee's sometimes- when there's not much striping, it gets looked at pretty closely, but when there's a lot, it gets glossed over !)
Good luck with your practising.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler....
Get thee to a meet.
Watch and learn.
Buy some brushes and start experimenting!
There are also books and videos out there too.
Check the Future Meets page as well as the Merchant's page here in Letterville.
Glad to see that you want to try this.
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get to the Detroit meet. Gibb is on the committee and thats what he does. He has also started electric pouncing patterns that people can take and pounce a pattern and practice his designs.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Milleker
Visitor
Member # 4572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Milleker   Email John Milleker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler, I purchased Mr. J's Pinstriping Kit from recommendations from members here in letterhead chat. It comes with a 00 Xcaliber brush, four cans of One-Shot, Rapid-Prep, Brush Cleaner, Mixing cups, stirrers, around 20 pages of striping designs and another 20 or so vinyl 'cheaters'. Also includes a 90 minute video tape.

It seems to be everything (minus mineral spirits and a substrate) that you would need to start. The video teaches you how to prep the brush and surface. How to set up and pounce (if striping from a design) and how to paint.

I did hope that the video would show me some freehand (it didnt), but i'm hoping the skills I should learn using the vinyl cheaters (basically masks of the designs) would be sufficient. Of course plus lots of practice.

And as everyone says, attend a meet. I'm keeping an eye out for something close to me. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Malinky:
This is to all you hand stripers out there, I need some advice on getting started striping. I am into building old Triumph choppers and old hotrods, and would love to be able to stripe my own vehicles and have it look good, as well as striping everything in my house to practice.

--------------------
John Milleker
Baltimore, MD

Posts: 42 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too would say go to the Detroit Meet. The area is filled with many known stripers. The pin-heads are a great part of this Meet, SHARING AND LEARNING.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 229 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!