Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Homemade vinyl storage racks???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homemade vinyl storage racks???
Regina Rae
Visitor
Member # 4024

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Regina Rae   Author's Homepage   Email Regina Rae       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone out there want to share thier recipes or experiences with building a vinyl storage rack that can hold up to at least 30" x 50 yds. of vinyl?

I have heard of some being made out of large (1 inch) dowls cut to size, and attached (how- I don't know) to 2"X 4"s and then attached to the wall.

Of course you can by pre-made steel ones. But $50, for one that can hold just 16 rolls,~ I think we could do better, Don't you?

ALSO~ does anyone have any suggestions For makeing a Banner roll(s) holder?

Thankyou in advance. This board is full of creative, self reliant inventors. I look forward to your responses.

Pics would be appreciated as well. Thanks again!

--------------------
Regina Rae
Red Apple Design
Ringgold, GA

Posts: 46 | From: Ringgold, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you drill a 1" hole into the 2x4 then use wood glue to hold the dowel in there, that would be a nice strong (real strong) connection. It would be better if the 2x4 was a nice solid wood like ash, maple, or oak but then you're getting into a bit more money. However, the rack would last a lifetime.

I have one of the steel 16 roll racks mounted to my homemade plotter stand. The stand is deep enough to accommodate the rolls and the plotter sits up on top near the front edge. When the vinyl runs through the plotter the rolls underneath are set back enough they dont interfere with the operation.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Made mine the same way but with a 4x4 and used Eletrical Conduit for my holders (Cheaper) that way I can store up to 4or6 4x8 panels also for drying. Drill at a slight angle and you can remove the pipe and put in diferent sizes so you dont whak your head the pipe when its sticking out.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Quick
Visitor
Member # 2649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Quick   Email Raymond Quick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the metal racks myself but have made several banner racks. My first one was a weighted platform on wheels with a 2x4 vertical frame. I drilled matching holes on each side and ran electrical pipe through the holes with the banner material between the uprights. The one I use now, the other one was always in the way, is a ceiling rack. I mounter 1"x4" lumber on the ceiling above my table for each size I wanted. Screwed in some large yellow hooks at each end of the lumber. Drilled a hole at one end of a electrical pipe that would fit over a hook. Ran the banner material onto the pipe and hooked it on the other hook at the far end of the lumber.

Now I just pull what I want down from the ceiling or lift the pipe off the hook and let the banner roll slide off into my arms. I also use it for other rolled materials.

--------------------
Raymond Quick
Ye Thicker Than Thou Sign and Repair Shoppe
Olympic College, 1600 Chester Ave Bremerton, WA 98337
rquick@oc.ctc.edu

Posts: 50 | From: Bremerton Washington | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm... 2 threads with same topic.

Signcraft gave me the idea for the ones I made. I used hardwood because I had lots of oak which blended with the decor of the shop.

Mine was made by taking 4" wide strips of oak. Any wood will do but if I were to use pine I think I'd go thicker, like 2x4's. You take empty vegetable cans, (soup cans are too small) remove label, drill a hole in the center of the bottom. With hardwood, I predrilled a hole in the oak and used 1/4" by 5" lags, dropped a big honkin' fender washer (minimum 1 1/2") over the bottom and screwed them into the oak. The fender washer spread the pressure away from the hole so it doesn't tear out, and kept a 5 inch lag from going through the oak board. Spacing between cans is up to you, but I spaced mine so that all cans would hold a 50 yard roll of vinyl with some room to spare.

You could mount the strips horizontal and screw them into the studs in the wall. For my application, I ran the strips verticle, so I backed them up with 3 horizontal stringers screwed into the studs, top bottom & middle, then attached the boards with the cans to the stringers. Mine goes from almost ceiling to floor.

Mine holds 24 inch rolls so well that I would think it would be fine for 30" rolls, especially 10 yard rolls. I just don't know if they would hold a 30" by 50 yard roll.

I have dowels under my weeding bench for transfer tape, and I much prefer the can rack.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Regina Rae
Visitor
Member # 4024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Rae   Author's Homepage   Email Regina Rae       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, some really great ideas so far! I love it. I'm sure I will be using your ingeniousness (is that a word? [Smile] ),in the very near future.

I am real handy with a saw, etc. I'm one of the few women I know, who ask for power tools for Christmas. ha

Also there is nothing more sexy than a man with a tool belt around his waist.

Thank you gentlemen from Music City U.S.A.!

--------------------
Regina Rae
Red Apple Design
Ringgold, GA

Posts: 46 | From: Ringgold, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Utter
Visitor
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Utter   Email Dave Utter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stole this idea from someone here, I don't remember who. These are just wire shelf units available at any big lumber outlet or home store. just mount them at a little bit of an angle from the wall. for longer rolls of vinyl, space the top part out a couple of inches. A 10' long section of this stuff is cheap, and dan be put up in minutes. I've had 50 yard rolls sitting on them for long periods of time. never had a roll fall off, and no problems with the end of the vinyl from sitting on their end.

-

-

--------------------
Dave Utter
D-utterguy on chat
Sign Designs
Beardstown, Il.
signdesigns@casscomm.com

Posts: 777 | From: beardstown, illinois, usa | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Regina Rae
Visitor
Member # 4024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Rae   Author's Homepage   Email Regina Rae       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dave, what a good & easy & cheap
idea.The pic was great.

And if I may~ What a collection of vinyl you have!

I liked that idea the best so far.

Also still looking for (strong) rolls-of-
banner-material-holder construction ideas.

appreciate you~

--------------------
Regina Rae
Red Apple Design
Ringgold, GA

Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the big rolls (30-48") I took a bunch of those plastic ends that vinyl comes shipped in (big square end caps), drilled holes on drill press and bolted them all together, set on floor.
I'll try to get pics today ... really works well and is free.
I never liked the idea of the big heavy rolls hanging above my head.

We also made a "tree" ... a 4x4 with lazy suzans on each end and dowels glued in.
 -
And have 4 of the metal racks running down the wall.

But them big heavy rolls I like on the floor.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My storage method is along the lines of Dave's except I have simple shelves stacked up that line one entire wall in the shop like bookshelves. They are located above my cutting table which also runs the entire length of the wall. I have my vinyl rolls simply set on them standing up. They give a great visual of color and I myself prefer them standing upright by themselves and you just see these nicely painted to match the wall shelves with nice fancy black wire brackets to hold the load underneath.

I mainly collect 15" rolls though, and for the 20" ones, I lay them on their sides on shelves under the same cutting table so I just view the ends of them. I'd also have liked them lined up in a row on the wall somewhere too but I ran out of room. [Smile]

When my digital camera is empty, I'll take a pic and post it.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Like daves Idea better then Mine. Looks like you can store more vinyl then my Rack. I think I might be doing that. And Just keep my frame for a drying Rack.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Regina Rae
Visitor
Member # 4024

[Applause]

Thanks for the info Guys (& Lady!).
Raymond your Banner roll instructions I'm sure will work for me!

Looks like I have some projects in front of me. But as they say here in the deep South "it's all gud."

--------------------
Regina Rae
Red Apple Design
Ringgold, GA

Tyler Malinky
Visitor
Member # 4693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler Malinky   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Malinky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking about vinyl racks with my brother, and he had a good suggestion. This is for floor storage of vinyl, my problem is I would use the plastic ends that come with Oracal and just have all my vinyl lined up on the floor against the wall, but lots of cat hair (3 cats, 2 dogs) would collect..

so I was thinking of just taking a board and putting casters (wheels) on it, and then simply screwing the plastic ends from the new rolls of vinyl and screwing them to it. This will pre space them to hold 50 yd rolls, and keep all the weight of the 24" rolls off of my wall. This will work great to roll it out of the way when needed, though if you have carpet it may not work as well..

anyway, simple idea, but I will post photos when I get it done, hopefully within a wekk or so

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com

Posts: 60 | From: Parma (Cleveland), Ohio | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many years mine used to stand on the floor....but then the domino effect occured all too often!

I built these, they hold 250 rolls which is now too small, I buy full width and cut to 30" plus rest so I get 2 good sizes to use and the racks are built to accomadate those sizes, we bent steel rod and welded to a frame which I then got powdercoated....works well.

-

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Regina Rae
Visitor
Member # 4024

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Regina Rae   Author's Homepage   Email Regina Rae       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Barker, you saved yourself some money by construting all that!

Speaking of saving money, sir that is an very smart idea, buying the large rolls of vinyl, and cutting to size. I never thoughy about it!
I usually need 30 inches OR 20 inches for a job.

How does one cut to size. With a time-saving power saw, or a fine-toothed hand saw? Please do tell!
[Eek!] [Thanks]

--------------------
Regina Rae
Red Apple Design
Ringgold, GA

Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I only had my Gerber Sprocket 750 and Sprint that I was paying about the same for 30" sprocket or near enough the cost of full width unpunched, had got used to 30" and 15" always found it frustrating that I needed 16 17 or 18", now for the last 4-5 years since buying a Summa T750 have had the best of both...the only advanatge I could see with a full width plotter was if you were doing larger negative cut backlit signs of which I'm not [Smile]

Our distributor splits vinyl logs at no extra cost, I have cut them on the bandsaw but its better to get them to do it with a log slitter that has a thin blade with no teeth.

Edit: Saving time and money.....it was worth it! I

[ June 05, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Henry Barker ]

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!