Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Yellow Page Add Proof, Suggestions..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yellow Page Add Proof, Suggestions..
Dave Levesque
Visitor
Member # 4374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Levesque   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Levesque       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've been trying to put together a yellow page add for the new book coming out. I think I have narrowed it down to what I want it to look like, but you know how when you look at something too long you really have no idea what looks good and what doesn't.

Anyway here's a link to the pics let me know what you think and what changes might make it better.

http://www.portasign.com/AreaWide2.jpg

Thanks
Dave

--------------------
Dave Levesque
Angelo Sign
3014 Hemlock
San Angelo, TX 76904

Posts: 82 | From: San Angelo, TX | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not an expert, and by no means know what im talkin about.

At first glance Its beautifull..
But I cannot read some of it.
Whats under the phone number.

Make Angelo smaller.
Make Signs BIGGER
Loose the script fonts
Make phone number bigger
Get the website easier to read.

As a user,, if i can't read it i goto the next one

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iam with curt on this...your name is to big, what you do is more important, how to get a hold of you is next, where you are and the specialities are next. beautiful sign, to bad it will be buried in a book, you should put that on a van......gar-on-tee you more business then what that yellow page will cost you. remember this....to get seen in the yellow pages, someone has to be lookin for you, if you had a no window van with that on both sides.....people will see you even if they aint lookin for ya...AND REMEMBER IT!!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am assuming that this was created in Corel as the first w in the web address is capitalized what I do to fix that is to type 4 of them (as the first one regardless of what I do it reverts to a capital letter being the first of a "sentance") and convert to curves, ungroup or break curve apart and delete the first letter as you made one extra when you set the type. Anyone know a easier way to correct that issue, there must be a setting that I have overlooked in the last 7 versions of Corel I have owned, lol, maybe I should read the directions someday

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,
Not sure about other versions, but in CorelDraw9, from the menu bar:
Text > Writing Tools > Type Assist > untick Capitalize first letter of sentences.

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Levesque
Visitor
Member # 4374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Levesque   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Levesque       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the conversion from corel to jpg made it lose a little quality so some of the smaller text that is hard to read on the link is much more legible on the actual graphic. Already fixed the corel thing cap thing, not sure why it worked but went to edit text/toggle case. That's the only way I can get it to stay changed after I click off it.

OP- You did get me thinking though about whether paying for that size ad, would be worth it or not. I could put three large logos my truck for the same price. Hmmmm!

Anybody else have a lot of luck with Phone Book Ads this size or should I just go for a smaller listing and spend the ad dollars else where, like on the ol' truck.

Dave

--------------------
Dave Levesque
Angelo Sign
3014 Hemlock
San Angelo, TX 76904

Posts: 82 | From: San Angelo, TX | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what size are we talking about anyway? I know a lot of folks here don't go for YP ads, but I do. I just can't critique as well w/o knowing the size. My main comments are too crowded & too many cool photoshop bevels. You probably print those out on photopaper to admire your nice designs...(well maybe you don't, but follow me on this one) I suggest trying to find some real coarse crappy newsprint & then print on that. You will lose so much of the detail in your bevels etc. that you would be better off w/o them. I think the panel containing the types of signs you do is a good thing, but don't crowd the border, & get that line of type off the top of it too IMO. If it's a quarter page, then it should be fine to keep all that info with more air around it, if it's an eigth page then simplify it.

Joe is so OPinionated on the YP vs. vehicles that his I think his layout advice is more geared to vehicle advrtising IMO. In the yellow pages... they already know they are in the "signs" listings, so "Angelo" is an important part of the message.

[ June 01, 2004, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave....
I've said it before, I'll say it again....
Try designing in black & white before you add all the frou-frou & gee-gaws.
A yellow page ad is usually B&W with maybe a touch of red for another $50 (around here anyway)
While your design is lovely, it is not quite appropriate for a YP ad.
I would list your name big as you have done, in the YP you will be under "signs" so you do want your name to stand out.
I would think 1950s style, very punchy yet plain, or if you love old-fashioned signs (as do I) use Becker or Atkinson alphabets that are bold yet simple.
Also, I only have a 1-line listing that I get free for simply owning a business phone. And I wish I didn't have that!
I ran a 2-line YP ad at $30/month for 2 years and got NOTHING but price-shoppers and tire-kickers. In my opinion, I feel your advertising $$ would be well-spent elsewhere.
Good Luck! Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the "SIGN" too...but I think it is too busy for a yellow page ad.

To add to what Arthur suggested, in later versions the way to do it is tools>options>text>quick correct and then uncheck the box regarding capitalizing first word. To make that setting stick for future documents don't just click "OK" buit go to documents and then click on every box on the right THEN click OK.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave, in my opinion, you might better stack your money in a pyramid shape and burn it! Yellow page adds, for the sign business, Do Not work. We have talked about this before. Use the sketches you made as the header for a Web Site. Promote the site, have it on your truck, cards and every Email you send. I did the "yellow page" thing also. What a waste of money! My web site has earned me more money than I ever imagined.

Get a web site!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got much business from Yellow Page Ads.

My opinion the NAME is more important in the case of a YP ad. The ad appears under the "Signs" heading, so customers will know what type business it is.

I don't care for all the special effect stuff. Just go with easy to read at a fast glance.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We noticed about midway through this year that we did not have ANY ad in the yellow pages...not even a listing! I wondered why we weren't getting alot of useless price shoppers! I have really enjoyed the fact that we DON'T get calls from people who don't know us. The people who DO call, are calling because they know our name, our work or were referred by a happy customer. But we have an advantage, we have been at it a while. I could see if we were a new shop, that it might be valuable advertising.
I agree with the others though....I would simplify your ad a bit. There is too much going on, even though it IS nice stuff...too much can push people away.

[ June 01, 2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim
Visitor
Member # 1699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim   Email Tim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have two phone books here and both have 4 color capability for the yellow pages.

I think both of these ads would look great. Nice job!

--------------------
Tim Rieck Signs
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Posts: 736 | From: Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're trying something different this year.
Up til now we have had no yellow page ad and no website. Our only advertisement has been our sign out front and word of mouth.

I bought a three line yellowpage listing this year with one line being our URL. Prospects can see this and look at our portfolio on line. We will have a hit counter on the site so it will be interesting to see what effect this will have after the phone books come out.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to clear up what i said about vehicle vs yp, ive posted this before....
YELLOW PAGE ADD SAY 3X4, not sure about my figures but that should runnear $ 150-200 a month.
you can buy a used van for $3000-4000 and make payment on it for that same YP add money. letter it up and you will be seen even if your havin breakfast at denney's on a sunday mornin. plus you got a deduction as a company vehicle and the use of the vehicle .....now that getting something for money spent.
as doug said ..yp adds work for him. mine works also, but all i have is a BOLD TYPE... A SIGN MINT....944-5060. mine works because it is in the 1st 5-10 listings under signs. i went last year with yp additional listings: puting you company name under other headings such as TRUCK LETTERING, BOAT LETTERING, BUSINESS CARD DESIGN, ADVERTIZING. i wanted a listing under TRUCK LETTERING & BOAT LETTERING and i used my mobile shop name SIGNS HERE & NOW instead of ASIGNMINT.
figured the name says it all. well the YP add people in their stupor....put me under TRUCK PAINTING, there is heading for TRUCK LETTERING. now i aint payin $120 a yr for that one, and i told them so!!! wanted another under BOAT LETTERING, no such header. they put me under BOAT REPAIR AND PAINTING. since they didnt have a heading for boat lettering i paid that one. and what i got for my $120....was junk mail and phone calls from truck parts companies, boat motor sales flyers, and more crap concerning SERVICE WRITING and dealership type material. they called this year and i told them i didnt have time to deal with there screw ups.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Poitevint
Visitor
Member # 4740

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Jeff Poitevint   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Poitevint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

I'm giving my reply before reading all the responses because I do not want this advice to be biased based on the responses.

I recently purchased and opened a new SIGN-A-RAMA franchise in Augusta, Ga. Therefore, I'm not a sign expert. I did however, take my 401K and pension from BellSouth Yellow Pages where I was a Sales Manager to start this venture. I think I do have some experience with consulting business owners with yellow pages.

Always remember the old adage, "A picture means a thousand words." 74% of the people that open the book at that heading have no idea who they will call. That same 74% could care less about your name. They want to know who can take care of my needs at the right price and at the right time. And always remember, when they pick up the book and look at our heading, they have one hand on their wallet. Who's gonna get that money?

I'll be glad to analyze your operation and give you a recommendation based on YOUR needs.

Give me a call because I'm sure I will need your help on sign making.

Peace....

--------------------
Jeff Poitevint
Sign-A-Rama Augusta
4015-M Washington Rd.
Martinez, Ga. 30907
706-364-6393
augustasigns@comcast.net
www.augustasigns.com

Posts: 102 | From: Augusta, Ga. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only am I a sign gal, I am a single mom, self-employed.
When I peruse the YP, I tend to call the one-liner ads, figuring that they are a small business like myself.
I always try to buy from small local companies.
love...jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never let the YP people design you ad or your f'ed. Up until this year I always designed my own display ads. I've had people call me and say they didnt need a sign but they thought my ad was awesome.

Screw all the color. A professionally designed black & white ad will destroy the competitions cut and paste layout everytime.

This year I cancellled my ad to my salemans dismay. Instead I've invested that same money into internet advertising and now I'm getting calls from all over the country...

The internet has destroyed yellow page adverstising as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a picture says a 1000 words then an internet website is somewhat the way to go. Vehicle lettering sees more people then any YP ad. I get more work from both of the above then any other advertising, except from word of mouth [Big Grin]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there you have it- the good, the bad & the ugly of Yellow Pages- and all good comments, sincere, & full of advice.

You'll have to make up your own mind though!

There are numerous aspects to consider- 1stly, whether the customer looks at the YP at all, or sees OP's truck or Bob's website billboard first; 2ndly if they open the YP, whether they see you amongst the multitude of other ads, 3rdly, whether your ad communicates to them what they want to read (rather than what you want them to see). (There's probably a 4thly, but I'd better get back to work!)

(oh YP does work for us, bringing in about 10 times the cost of the ad in work. Don't get many tyre kickers at all, and they're not hard to weed out by the sound of the call. Referrals & repeat work from existing customers is the bulk of our work. The having the website listed in the YP helps too- people with time on their hands can take a look and decide if you look like you'll suit them, and are often sold on you before they pick up the phone. If not, then they don't call. But, the website needs a total rejig as soon as I can get the time!)

[ June 01, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Poitevint
Visitor
Member # 4740

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jeff Poitevint   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Poitevint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with everyone, that's why my customers love me. Everyone is exactly right, although some are a bit more right than others. There is so much conflicting advice here, that one has to experience what's right for THEIR business. Nobody has a 100% correct answer to anything, so absorb all the well intentioned advice here and make a decision that is in YOUR best interest.

Everyone is correct in their beliefs, but does it make you money? You are the only one that can determine what your return on investment is and THAT will determine what's right for you.

Cheers...........

--------------------
Jeff Poitevint
Sign-A-Rama Augusta
4015-M Washington Rd.
Martinez, Ga. 30907
706-364-6393
augustasigns@comcast.net
www.augustasigns.com

Posts: 102 | From: Augusta, Ga. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff yer right. however,

That depends on if people are speaking from their personal experience or if they are speaking from proven statistics.

When it comes to certain marketing I speak from statistics and case studies. While I claim no talent to sign making I know some marketing that comes from access to data using YP ads from over 1500 different statistic points. (Locations across the USA and Canada).

Point one: A Nameline in the Headline is a Deadline.

Point Two: Ads with lots of info and hard to read type are overlooked especially when there is an ad nearby that is easy to focus upon.

Point three: Using cute phrases and Alphabet phone numbers (IE: 643-sign) are overlooked.

Point four: No one is sitting at the table every morning drinking their coffee and reading the yellow pages.

Spend enuf to get a reasonable position then use your savings to do a targeted marketing instead of just a YP ad. This applies best if you are among a number of others in that YP ad area. IT dotn matter if you are the only one or two.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good answers Curtis.
Would you mind clarifying Point One, though, please?
Thanks

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis raises a point that I've been meaning to raise whenever the topic of "Yellow Pages are a waste of money" comes up.

If you've had this experience with YP, it might be because your ad didn't work - not because Yellow Pages don't work.

If you find that YP brings you nothing but tire kickers, perhaps your advertising - your message - is to blame.

All of us have used the yellow pages to find someone who could fulfill our needs, then purchased from them as a result. When was the last time you needed a taxi or an airport limo? Which company's did you choose to call and why? Have a look at their adds. Ask yourself what works about them. At the risk of stating the obvious...YP is a very different advertising medium.

Hats off to you, Monsieur Levesque, for striving to get your ad right and seeking input from others.

Like all advertising and promotion, YP ads will work best for you if they are a part of an integrated, strategic marketing plan.

[ June 03, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Jon Aston ]

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm one of the few who claim to find value in my ad, I will add a few points.
First, I will say the many times I've seen the nay-sayer opinions stacking up here I have questioned myself in a fleeting moment of doubt, but I always come back to the realization that my ad has brought me several repeat customers the first time, & I've been able to serve them well enough to bring them back. My ad is the 4th size down from the biggest, & there are probably 10 companies with bigger ads. 4 of them are less then 1/4 mile away from me. I personally think my ad is the best looking ad in the book. Not having the most marketing sense, I won't claim to have the best designed ad from a marketing standpoint, but it is like a sign. I think I managed to make it look asthetically pleasing to the eye, somewhat high-end but approachable, & informative without being busy.

I really don't get a lot of tire kickers, I think the larger ads for the Mister Kwik, Instant, in-a-day sign-pro kind of goofballs are getting those calls. Many people have told me they called me (& only me) because my ad looked good. I might add that I think how you handle your calls has a lot to do with how effective your ads are. Some people are better (or more interested in) dealing with people face to face. They might not be friendly or helpful on the phone. I've also been told many times I was the most helpful or that I sounded most like I actually wanted to help this person on their job. If you can't (or don't want to be) like that on the phone, then your ads effectiveness will be compromised. Also tire kickers are not going to eat up your whole day... a few won't kill you. That is another area that developing phone skills will extract you quickly & professionally w/o an unneccessary waste of time.

It may be true that other more targeted market will be a better investment of my dollars. But if & when I determine what marketing that should be, I can afford to do that in addition to the YP. They are already making me money, so no need to re-direct those funds if they are working for me, & I have other funds I could invest elsewhere. But in my case I don't have another marketing venue in mind. At least the YP is there, they come to me, I make an ad & the bill comes with a bill I already get..EZ..Done!

It seems that all marketing strategies seem to include the concept of getting the name to occur in the publics awareness many times. I've never really done some serious considering of my marketing needs until this year, but with little effort I've kept my companies name, logo, & services in a spot where all the other sign shops customers could see it when looking up a number.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Ian

Some will put a huge "JOHN DOE" (name) in the headline of their ad. Its considered a "dead" line in the ad in print advertizing.

For all others who may be interested..

The huge name does nothing to scratch the itch of the reader and takes up space better spent saying something. You must scratch the itch. You must address the pain. Prospects usually don't choose you because you have a big ol name. They choose you because they feel you can fix their pain.

A huge logo or space used for a huge name in the headline is tested and proven to be a deadline. In other words it won't provoke a call.

And like Jon says. Marketing is not just advertizing. It is a complete comprehensive system for bringing in new clients. And more importantly,,, keeping present clients.

And just for the record. Big companies are notorious for developing rotten ads but are saved because they have other systems in place that continue to create interest. So using their models is risky.

Using a model based on your personality profile, your business, and the market you wish to serve works. But you gotta spend a little money to get it to run. If you are broke there are steps you can take to get something jumpstarted.

I use the drip method and it works. Others in my area are crying because they are dead slow. Well, yes we are in the summer doldrums but while they are starving I have work.

--------------------

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Dave,
I also want to mention that you may be missing out on an opportunity to take better advantage of all the replies to your post by doing a rework on your layout & posting that for further critique or suggestions. I have seen many posts including one of my own years ago where a design gets changed by group commentary & the creator has often been really inspired to come up with something they like much better, but also still feel the creative satisfaction of being the primary creator.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug...I really liked the part of one of your responses where you mentioned "telephone friendliness" (paparhprased)

I know that I am sometimes put off by companies I call because of the person on the other end of the line...they just don't seem interested.

I like to think that when someone calls me, I try to sound like they are the most important person to call me all day. (Not including annoying relatives, aquaintances, friends, ex-wives, telemarketers and other annoying people of course)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8887 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Levesque
Visitor
Member # 4374

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Dave Levesque   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Levesque       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright,

After all the responses, I have done a lot of thinking, So what I did was head out to the "Big Sign Company" in town and rob them blind at gun point(water gun, their not to bright). I immedietely took that money and placed a full page, full color Yellow Page add because "Hey its not my money" I figure I'll be getting lots of calls this year, to bad I won't be able to take them because I'll be somebody's "Sweetheart" in the slammer. I guess I'll finally have time to practice that pinstriping.

BUT REALLY!!!!!

I decided to decrease the size of my add, and probably do away with the full color thing, this will free up a lot of cash as that add was going to cost $126.00 a month.

Then with all the cash I would have set aside for that I can put some really cool graphics on the truck. Which hopefully will have people already looking for me in the YP when they go there.

I also do monthly to bi-monthly mailings to all new businesses that register their assumed names with county clerk. That mail out is full color so all the fancy graphics look pretty good. Existing customers also get that mailing to.

What I came up with was a smaller ad with a little shape to it and then just simplify it.

Let me know what you think, it's not as purty and all but, I think it will accomplish the same thing. Do you think it is necasary to list everything you do or that just a given.

Here is the link:

http://www.portasign.com/AreaWide3.jpg

Be sure to enlarge photo to actual size, cause you can't ready anything if you don't.

Thanks for all the input
Dave

--------------------
Dave Levesque
Angelo Sign
3014 Hemlock
San Angelo, TX 76904

Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have a shop van that we park at the home depot on the weekends and some slow work days and then one of the employees picks it up on his way into work....we have built quite a few contractor customers from that $4000 van.

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

i like the black and white....more informational then graphical. as for trucks take a look at mine..and you will see why i think this is your best bang for your buck.
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=145442&ck=

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

OP there is a "report inappropriate content button" on that page.

i'm goona report that kitty.

--------------------

Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP you have no shame [Eek!]

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

hahahahahahahahaahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519

Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

I think the redesign is much better.
You're original layout would be awesome for business cards, but probably wouldn't have translated well as a YP ad. The new version conveys the message well, is more cost effective and the sign posts make a good visual reference as to what you do. It should stand out well amongst the rest of the ads.

Clean, clear and concise...nice looking ad for the YP.

It's still a good idea to letter up you business vehicle.
Since lettering my a couple of years ago, business has increased signifigantly. I've recently stripped of the original graphics and gotten one side redone with a completely different design using newer materials and techniques learned at meets.
As a result, I'm now doing more pinstriping, effects painting and higher end work.

Now if I can just find time to get the other side done.... [Dunno]
Rapid

(edited for spelling...the coffee hasn't kicked in yet...BTW: Why does morning have to happen so early?)

[ June 05, 2004, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Dave,
ditto to Ray's good comments...
but on the grey picture, I'd swap the places of the Large Format... & the Vehicle Graphics... lines, so the overall shape of the text block more closely follows the rectangular shape of the panel, and gives you better balanced negative space in the panel.
I think I'd condense the phone number a bit- say make the length 5% shorter.
Perhaps youcan make the 'A' of Angelo a bit bigger then & also lower down- your eyes are drawn to the empty space under 'An' otherwise.

Good luck

Curtis,

thanks,that's interesting, but to what kinds of adverts did the nameline/deadline specifically relate, do you know, or where did you read it? I've found info in the past that has said you're best putting your name at the top,and repeating it at the end, to help it stick in the potential customer's mind- that refers to a display ad or a flyer/brochure, rather than Ypages though.

[ June 05, 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Jeff Poitevint
Visitor
Member # 4740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Poitevint   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Poitevint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

You could have saved a lot of time and anxiety by calling me to help in your YP ad. I recommend NO COLOR, but placement.

I should not give too much info out here because my competition could read it.

I am a former Sales Manager for BellSouth Yellow Pages and I didn't earn that job by being marketing STUPID.

--------------------
Jeff Poitevint
Sign-A-Rama Augusta
4015-M Washington Rd.
Martinez, Ga. 30907
706-364-6393
augustasigns@comcast.net
www.augustasigns.com

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Ian,

Thi sshould be a seperate post but,,,
Yes there are many schools of thought on ads. But unless you know which model you need you will just have to guess at which thought you will use. Often we guess dead wrong.

Ads with just a huge name and some copy and then name with contact points are called institutional. (generic) Simple ones are huge "Coke" or huge GM or whatever name. This is just for general reminders. Small bizzes use these types of ads and say advertizing don't work. Thats right, they don't because they dont have an established image. There is nothing behind that ad.

Then you have specific ads. These are triggering ads. These are designed to trigger a response. Small bizzes need these ads to work now.

Rather than post a bunch of links to certain writings. You could google 'marketing' and follow the links. There are hundreds but most of them will say the same thing. I think if you look ads in bizz magazines such as Barons, Skyline, Skymall you will get a good idea.

You will see these ads cost thousands but have a certain look about them. Look at those that are there month after month. They are the perfect model. You will begin to notice they do not have a huge name at the top. They use copy with a 'lead in' headline. Then have many lines of copy. Only at the end they will have the name and contact info.

It takes a lot of sales to make these ads pay for themselves. But, they bring in millions.

For example.
(Head line) John D. Smith
Chiropractor.
Im the best.
Come see me.
Call 643-PAIN

This ad will cost a fortune yet simply won't trigger anything,

Try this one:

(head line) Why is your back in pain?
These steps will get you relief.
You can get relief because we
know why you hurt. We guarantee
you will feel better or there will
be no charge. Its that simple. So
call for your complimentary
consultation. 643-XXXX

Now, which one are you going to call? Millions of dollars in tests prove the second ad will trigger.

This type of model for ad copy is proven through millions of tests for all bizzes. This model is specfic targeted at back pain sufferers. With this type often a test is made. Then one word is changed and the ad works even better.

But, you must have a system in place to follow through with your ads. Otherwise the prospect will not follow through.

Yes, I used to blindly follow the sheep and cry when ads didnt work. Then I educated myself and was quite surprised when the general rule of thumb for ads was nothing but pure guesswork. Getting specific and developing a model for you works and brings you much return.

If you like.. email me and I will send you my newest and latest test ad sheet in PDF. Its in test mode now and goes out in 11,000 pieces next week.

Email only,, no requests here out of respect for steves' bandwidth.

[ June 05, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Thanks Curtis- yes another thread is probably the way- no hijack was intentioned here!

I agree with you, the testing & followup/feedback is as important as the advertising, as how else can you see which dollar where works and which is wasted.
I have a good book by David Ogilvie on advertising, in which he prefers a 50:50 breakdown of picture & text, with sensible variations etc. But I often find it interesting to watch some clever ads on TV, which are memorable for the advertising agency, but are hopeless in helping you remember the actual product name. Anyhow I'd better sign off- thanks!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

ya, he the one tht said half of advertizing money is wasted by he didnt know which half. ? or something like that

He was good a few years ago. But now, there ads that have NO pictures. In fact I had a record settin return with a series of ads with no picutes at all. All copy and very small type full page copy.

One mentor does 4 page ads with no pictures. All copy and just talks using lead ins to get response.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!