Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - Are you a believer.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OT - Are you a believer....
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that upwards of 70% of people do NOT believe that we stepped foot on the moon, and that it was a staged event meant to intimidate Russia during the cold war and as a "one-upmanship" ploy to freak out the Soviet Union after they sent the Sputnik into orbit around the earth.

I never really questioned this and remember watching it in black and white on tv as a kid....but then I watched a show debunking the lunar landings as myth where they provided many pieces of evidence which was hard to dispute, along with testimony from ex-NASA officials, as well as a couple of stories about NASA individuals that were closely involved with the "mission" that said we were never on the moon - - and ended up murdered.

You know, the usual conspiracy theorists...but I must say,....after watching the show, listening to the evidence, it really made me wonder...

And why haven't we been back to the moon in so long? Could it be because it's harder to fake it since we no longer have black and white, grainy, blurry tv's to watch?

Seems like in fact it would be easier to fake it today with all the special effects....

I'm kinda on the fence on this...where are you?

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ernie Balch
Resident

Member # 3545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernie Balch   Author's Homepage   Email Ernie Balch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my college professors were involved with processing the film shot by the astronauts. It was the real thing and it took real experts to get good photos from the film brought back from the moon.

Remember, There are still nuts that think the world is flat too.

ernie

--------------------
Ernie Balch
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY
518-885-9899

Posts: 405 | From: Malta, NY | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Todd!!!

In my "Rocket Scientist" days...I worked on the Moon Shot at North American Rockwell, here in California! As a Materials & Processes Engineer and Chemist, I was involved in the Reentry Heat shield, Steering Motors, Escape Tower, and much of the interior equipment. Belive me...it did go to the Moon!

[FYI]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew Rolli
Visitor
Member # 4089

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Matthew Rolli   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Rolli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot....

I thought I would hear some uplifting plugs for God here....

Tang, and Velcro for only 3.7 trillion dollars... Money well spent;)

--------------------
Matthew Rolli
AdCraft Sign&Design
Hudson, WI

Posts: 280 | From: Hudson, WI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I believe we went to the moon but if anyone's looking to read a good book (fiction) about NASA faking discoveries check out DECEPTION POINT by Dan Brown. He's the guy who wrote The DaVinci Code. I just finished it and it was very intriguing. It's out in paperback and you can get it at Costco for under $5.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a shameless and unabashed plg for God.

Let's hear an "AMEN!" from the back of the room!

I believe that we walked on the moon, Elvis is dead, and I AM going crazy...

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Kimberly mentioned that book, I'm going to post this article. Not for controversy, just for balance [Smile] http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2003/nov7.html

An interesting thing about that moon landing is, that scientists at the time believed, that the moon should have several feet deep of dust on its surface. In fact the, uuhm, the thing they landed in (was it called "Eagle"?) was built accordingly, with large, plate like "feet" and the end of the ladder high above the ground. To everybody's surprise they found only a couple inches of dust. I think it's safe to believe that they would have "staged" that landing according to their expectations.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Vecoli
Visitor
Member # 2278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy Vecoli         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That FOX special "debunking" the moon landing was the about the worst piece of crap claiming to be journalism I have ever seen. I only have a high-school science education and I was insulted by the stuff they expected me to believe.
Go here to see a scathing point-by-point critique of the show.

--------------------
JT

Posts: 230 | From: MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next thing you know they'll be saying there are still people that paint signs. Poppycock!

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked in New smyrna Beach Flordida and in Daytona Beach Florida during them days. I was fortunate to have built parts of equipment that went to the moon. I find it very hard to believe the money spent on Faking a moon shot.
And I watched one shot around 4 in the afternoon as it went skyward. Ill never forget it.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
todd ...what ya smokin??????

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 3 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should've taken the moon rover and used it to "draw" a huge smiley face in the dust (oh no, Wal Mart was here??) so that anyone could look in a telescope and see it. A guy once told me a really high powered telescope can see stuff they left, but hey, you know what they say about everything you hear...

Yeah Todd, I saw a video like that once, had me wonderin' too.

Controversy has allready arrived in this thread, the statements about the expected dust not being there. It has to do with age.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis.
quote:
I find it very hard to believe the money spent on Faking a moon shot.

Why?

Think about it...faking the moon landing would be as profitable as "reality television" is. The government only has the production cost of filming the event, everyone's going to watch it, and when the smoke clears after all the government funding comes in for development, R&D, and the like, they have a pantload of money left to blow on $800 toilet seats, give $100,000 grants to college students who buy a few rubber snakes and let people run them over in Texas in the name of research, $1200 monkey wrenches, and continue to this day to fund some of the most ridiculous research in the world.

I clearly recall, sitting in front of the TV in Gilman, Vermont with the fireplace glowing watching Neil Armstrong set his foot down into the soft soil of the moon. Like most other 8 year old boys back then, astronauts were our heroes and we all dreamed of doing what they did.

The only REAL reason I can imagine to fake the lunar landing was to have everyone in this country believe that John F. Kennedy's goal to reach the moon within the decade had been achieved. Given the general feeling in America after his death, and his quick rise to a neo-martyr figure, I don't think it's too far fetched to imagine.

To a certain degree, in the minds of many back then, he had become the pinnacle of what a president was to be. A modern day King Arthur, with Jackie at his side projecting an image that most every woman admired. The media soon referred to his brief presidency as "Camelot" frequently and still do.
He was the first "television" president.

The government was quick to start placing his face on coins and stamps, renaming schools, buildings and streets and saturating his name across this country. Many of his predecessors to this day don't get that kind of recognition.

Legends and heroes don't fail. He said we'd be on the moon within ten years. Fabricated or not, we all watched it and believed we'd done something amazing. Something begun by our "fallen hero".

I don't doubt they went, but if it was a hoax, it sure generated a lot of jobs back then...and even more, national pride.

Times sure have changed. We've become cynical and critical, not only of the here and now, but of the past as well...even the past we remember fondly.

Rapid

[ May 21, 2004, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh NO!

What do you mean 'Elvis is dead' ...
Say it ain't so Bruce ...

... just ruined my day [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember being 7 and Mom making me come to the living room and watch the images of the moon landing flicker across the screen of the old Zenith.
I believed it was real then and I still do.
How cool is it that some of us Heads were a part of that momentous event?
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
talking about research grants... I remember hearing that the US spent many thousands of $ inventing a pen/biro that would write in zero gravity, so astronauts could write things down.

The Russians just used pencils instead...

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best friend went on to college at the University Of Chicago back in those days, and his prof. brought in a selection of moon rocks for study and from what he told me, him and his fellow students got to help run some tests on these.

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the same people that believe that our landing on the moon was fake also believe that wrestling is real.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Vecoli
Visitor
Member # 2278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy Vecoli         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot use a telescope to see artifacts on the moon from earth. The Hubble telescope has an astonishing resolving power of 0.1 arc-seconds (one-tenth of one-sixtieth of one-sixtieth of one degree). But that means if it was pointed at the earth, it could discern objects only if they were bigger than about 6 inches (under perfect conditions) That's why stories about spy satellites reading licence plates are just stories.

The moon is about 1,000 times farther away from the Hubble Space Telescope than the Earth is. That means that if you pointed the Hubble at the moon, it would have 150-meter resolution. At that resolution, a football stadium occupies maybe one or two pixels of the image. That means that there would be no way to discern the Lunar Excursion Module or any of the other equipment left on the moon. It is just too small to pick up, even with the world's best telescope.

--------------------
JT

Posts: 230 | From: MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond, wrestling is real! Just ask any high school wrestling team.

Rasling is a whole other story. Them fellas & gals sure do lok purty when they rasle on channel 7. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: Ooops! Double posted by accident.

[ May 21, 2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father was a geophysicist and he worked with Gene Shoemaker on the curriculum for training astronauts in geology. I recall various lunar studies around the house when I was young.

One of the most moving things for me was watching on live TV as the astronauts read from the first chapter of Genesis while Apollo 8 orbited the moon on December 24, 1968.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What.. They Read From the Bible on a Publically Funded Project. Ohhhhh Noooo (In a Billy Crystal Voice) This whole Moon Landing thing must be srtricken from the records

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean a government would LIE to the public and the newspeople would promote it???? Say it isn't so!!! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to da moon a lot in them days
and believe me, its real.
Didn't use a rocket.........

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faye adele welsh
Visitor
Member # 4164

Icon 14 posted      Profile for faye adele welsh   Email faye adele welsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe in one person making a statement and 57 others jumping on them, debunking, rebunking,rehashing, and dissecting it all. there will always be nay-sayers, and fanatics. but just for fun.... i hope it never stops. people are opinionated, never boring, and often as full of s**t as christmas turkeys!!viva la difference!!!fiddles.fyi... elvis is alive and captured in velvet at jillbeans house. [Smile] [FYI]

--------------------
faye welsh
jill's customs signs
813 pittsburgh rd.
fiddles@lycos.com

Posts: 165 | From: allison park,15101 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge metal machines flying through the sky at three times the speed of sound, with people in 'em? You're pullin' my leg.

Movies, music and voices traveling across the airwaves? At the speed of light? from hundreds of miles away to a tiny box in your car? That's absurd

You mean to tell me that you can send pictures, sounds, information over a teeny weeny wire to places thousands of miles away ...at the speed of light?? From a box on your office desk? C'mon

What did you say, using electrons? Wassat?

Destroy a whole city with a single weapon that flies to its target by itself? Computers? Robots?
By splitting an atom? What's an atom? Ever seen one?

Making exact copies of animals, plants and...people? you're lyin'.

They went.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a movie where the moon landing was all faked in a movie studio. What gave it away was someone noticed the reflection in an astronaut's face shield of the movie studio, cameras and lights.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1052 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

LOL...fantastic responses! Hey, I'm not saying we didn't get there, only that after the show I watched, it sure made me question it.

Just because someone hands you a roll of film and says, "here, develop this...it's a roll of film shot on the moon" does not make it real.

Same with anaylizing a "moon rock". Could have been picked out of some guy's back yard. "Here's a moon rock, see what elements it consists of".

Some of the [many]shows notations were:

1.) The camera's lens that the astronauts took pictures with had several + registration marks etched in them for measuring/detailing each shot. This "+" would always appear ON TOP of each photographic image. Well, several shots had portions of the image IN FRONT of parts of the "+" lens etchings while some showed the entire "+" etched registration mark....like someone doctored the photos. Photo manipulation wasn't then what it is today....they didn't have Photoshop with the healing brush then. So, how could this be?

2.) Shadows cast from the lunar module were shown cast at a different direction than an astronaut standing outside it...suggesting multiple light sources.

3.) Photos supposedly taken on different days, in totally opposite directions quite some distance from each other were superimposed and found that the same rocks aligned perfectly from one photo to the other.

4.) A soviet equivelent to the NASA "space authorities" claimed that no-way could man have went to the moon. He claimed that there is a band of extreme radiation beyond the earth's outer atmosphere that would fry a human in a second unless the capsule was constructed of 3 foot thick lead walls. He claimed this is why they never attempted it.

5.) While the so-called footprint was easily embedded in the dust on the moon's surface by a 175 lb man, it was noted and shown in one of the lunar module photos that there was no mini-crater beneath the lunar module's landing jets. If the surface was soft and dusty enough for a man to make a footprint...then why wasn't there an impression made by the force of the landing jets AND a significant depression made by the landing pads?

The theory is that we sent the men up and had them orbit the earth for several days....while the "moon shots" were being photographed and filmed in area 51 in Nevada which has a strikingly similar appearance to the surface shots of the moon. This all done in an attempt to calm US citizens fears of Russian technological dominance with their earlier successful Sputnik orbiter of the earth...AND to make the Russians think we were one up on them in the technology arena.

Why has no other country been there?

These are just a few of many points the show made. Not saying whether they are true or not...but they do make you wonder....

OJ was innocent right? The courts proved he was so it must be so right?

History has been shown to be falsified in the past...Columbus discovering America? In question. The Wright Brothers first flight at Kittyhawk? In question. Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech? Shown now to be plagerized from another preacher's sermon.

It seems like with all the technoligical advances since the old moon landings that we would have come farther than we have with spaceship construction, yet we have experienced many [some fatal] problems with the shuttles as we all know.

Makes for a good conspiracy theory anyway.

OP - not smokin' anything here. I get "high on life" big guy. [Wink]

Keep em comin.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Icon 12 posted      Profile for J.T. Gazaway   Author's Homepage   Email J.T. Gazaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chuck,
I bet you are thinking of Capricorn One. An old James Streisand...oh...sorry...James Brolin movie about landing on Mars which turned out to be fake. Uh-oh...brain just kicked in. I think O.J. Simpson was in that too. Great flick anyway but I think I just opened another can of conspiracy worms.

--------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Posts: 254 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pulskamp
Visitor
Member # 3475

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Pulskamp   Email Mike Pulskamp       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just need to say that it makes me LOL to see folks badmouthing the money spent on "space" over the INTERNET using PERSONAL COMPUTERS!

I for one wish that WE would spend so much money on NASA that we couldn't start wars down here.

P.S. the world is round... Like a plate.

--------------------
Mike Pulskamp
Pulskamp Arts
Sacramento, CA
mpulskamp@earthlink.net

Posts: 165 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding CrazyJack’s comment:

A year or so before the movie came out about Apollo 13, I was talking to a friend about that incident, how gripping it was as NASA struggled to find ways to keep the astronauts alive through each day while they looped them around the moon and back to Earth.

My friend had no recollection of the event, although he was in college at the time. He asked when it happened and I told him April, 1970. He said: “April, 1970... Oh, I was orbiting the moon then, too.”

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

I have heard that the roomfuls of computers in NASA's control room and on board the module added up to a mere fraction of ONE of today's home pc's. Now THAT'S scary! Especially if Microsoft had anything to do with it...hehehehe.

Even if we did spend all our money on space so we couldn't buy bombs....we'd still be fighting with sticks...and it still wouldn't stop the crazy middle Eastern bunch from finding some rusty knife to cut one of our heads off.

Bombs and technologically superior weapons is the best money spent in my opinion. That is one area where they could RAISE my taxes without me going into convulsions.

We recently shot down a test missle with a long range laser weapon...ya gotta love that, especially since the breakup of the Soviet Bloc and all their unaccounted for nuclear weapons.

Whether we went to the moon or not...ya gotta give credit for the bravery required to strap yourself into a missle and let yourself be shot into space. I can barely climb a ladder onto my roof without my knees shaking. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

The story has been told of one of the Apollo astronauts being asked what went through his mind as he sat on the launch pad, was he musing on the historic vistas he was opening up, the “giant leap for mankind” about to unveil?

His reply was he kept thinking of the fact that he was sitting on two million pounds of high explosive in a vehicle made of five million parts, every one of which was bought from the lowest bidder.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be in the Aerial Photography Business in VA. One of our people was one of the designers of the hand held Haselblad Camera they used on the moon.

At the same time I worked at the Pentagon Photo Lab for the Defense Intellegence Agency. Surprising what they could do even back in the 70s. I have a friend to this day don't believe we have ever been in space.

With some people it takes a 2X4.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

...and now they get their photos developed at Walmart! 2 for the price of one. More money for $800 toilet seats. Hehehehe.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~then I saw His face~~~~~~~~~~
now I'm a believer~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think UFO's landin' on Earth is a hoax . . .LOL, but I wonder if they are all somewhere out there askin' each other if they still believe they landed on the Earth . . .

. . . .ANYWAY . . . can't wait to see some of the others . . .the Man in Mars
...........in Jupiter . . . . . ooooo~~~ cool Saturn . . . . . . [Smile]

PS! JUST THINK!! Someday, this will not be an OT . . .

~there will be even more serious discussions about adhesion problems . . .lol,

~you will have to float the paint literally and slap the panel against it [Big Grin] . . . .

~wonder what kind of special effects moon dust gives??

~We may use the sun on a different level as the mother of all drying booths . . . .

~I should think lead would no longer be an issue

~neither would wearin' that respirator . . lol

~ . . .nor gas prices [Smile]

~nor bouncin' off the walls [Big Grin]

[ May 21, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Vecoli
Visitor
Member # 2278

Apollo hoax debunked
-Again
-even more!

--------------------
JT

Brian O'Prey
Visitor
Member # 4063

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Brian O'Prey   Email Brian O'Prey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a subject I give much thought to, especially when I'm trying to figure out where my next meal is coming from.
However I was once asked, " Do you say 'the glass is half full' or 'the glass is half empty'?"
I replied, "I'm just glad the glass exists."

--------------------
Brian O'Prey
Brian O'Prey, Artist and Designer
5 Old Movilla Road,
Newtownards
County Down
Northern Ireland
BT23 8HH
Tel. 028 9181 3517
email-brianlionzion@hotmail.com

Posts: 91 | From: Newtownards, County Down, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila,

quote:
I think UFO's landin' on Earth is a hoax
Here's one way of looking at it.

If you consider the universe to be endless, it would inherently mean that there are endless amounts of planets capable of supporting life as we know it.
If 1 in 1 million of them has intellegent life, there would still be an endless number of them.
Of them, if 1 in 1 billion was more advanced in space travel than we are, there would still be millions of them that could travel to the Earth.

All theses big numbers taken into consideraton, and even if you halve them just to be pessimistic, you still are faced with the mathematical truth that there are hundreds of chances that we have been visited by otherworldy life.

What I want to know is...
Instead of landing in front of the United Nations building and presenting themselves to us in peace, why do they keep getting spotted buzzing over trailer parks, make crop circles and kidnap guys name Zeke?

[Dunno]
Rapid

[ May 21, 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!