Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Detroit International Meet 2004 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Detroit International Meet 2004
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
finally found out how this works. this internet is amazing. want to be able to share as much info. as i can. this meet has become something of it-self. I am working day and night to make changes and up-grades to meet expections for everyone. thank's to all for all your input. it really put's things in perspective........

krazy kevin

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 230 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See Kevin?
Even an old dog can learn a few tricks.
I was checking out the meet on the future meets page. I really dig the logo.
The food looks good too!
I hope this thing works out well for you. It is a good idea to ask Heads to bring their musical instruments, too. We had a smoking "unplugged" session at Mars, and I just enjoyed one at Dixie as well.
A meet tends to take on a life of its own. It is colored by every character in attendance as surely as those empty panels will be slung with 1-Shot.
Have fun.
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks jill. i am looking forward to this meet, so i can go on a vaction afterward.
Mark Casey of Casey Signs came up with the logo. I couldn't be any happier. look forward to having pounce patterns made available for the meet.

krazy kevin

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 230 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kevin..Thanks for the e-mail earlier.

I wish you all the luck in the world to pull off a super meet. I am sure it will be one good one!!

If I or others were tough on you it wan't a personal attack. It was, in my case, a lack of understanding/communication of what your meet was all about.

As soon as I hear the words "new technology excluded" (my interpretation of things, not WHAT YOU SAID) my hackles came up!!

Sorry if I offended you Kevin..I am sure we'll meet some day and laugh about the silliness of the bitching, but at this point I am going to put my money on the Maritime Meet.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8889 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's great. any meet is good... the most valuable part is sharing and preserving. the true spirit of letterheads.
maybe i should go to brians as well.

just kidding.
krazy kevin

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

more information will be here today.
for now, i am working with W&B gold leaf
out of Chicago to possibily have them show the process of hand beating-gold. this is something i would like to see. i understand the gold starts out 1"x1", then after 18-20 hour's of beating, there is a sheet of gold-leaf waiting to be used.

reg. form should also be ready a little bit later today

so sorry for the delay. I am getting 100% commitments as i type.
so for now, what is posted should be what is happening. i am getting excited to see so much knowledge with so many bruthers of the brush.

also, our flyer has been posted in the future meets.
thank's..........
krazy kevin

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... Before the internet, the Letterhead movement was a very different thing than it has now "evolved" into. These days there is this site and its rabid readers who represent the "new" way that meet info gets (and is expected to be) distributed. ..as you have noticed.

... The original Letterheads gathered to share "lost" techniques and designs in an effort to preserve these methods of bygone sign eras . Now, technology has taken over signmaking, and the original "ideal" has changed. Many newcomers to the sign biz and the "internet" Lheads are aware of very little about the sign realm beyond the modern technological aspects of it. This is why people have gotten hostile (to you) over your brave (yet cool) concept of an "old fashioned" styled meet.

...So now apparently. any meet host has to (appear to) include something for stick on jockys, or they may feel excluded and get all worked up. ...Not that anyone at meets is actually doing stick on lettering at a meet. Most everybody who attends ends up having fun with paint anyway.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen vynull at most meets. Sometimes it's a paint mask someone is using for glue-chipping or fancy effects like Superfrog teaches, or doming from Homer the Domer.

Modern technology is a necessary evil to be sure,
but if "lickie-sticky-letterheads" attend a live meet, boy do they catch fire when they get their hands on some paint. Even if it is learning a faux finished background for an "instant sign".

It's all about the learning, and the sharing, and the fellowship and cameraderie. Everyone can benefit from attending a live meet, whether it's picking up some new techniques, buying some good books and brushes, learning layout skills and pricing strategies, or even a feel-good talk by Dennis Gerathy. And yakking on this BB is the next best thing.
Love...Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianTheBrush
Visitor
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianTheBrush         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W.R.

I think what it all boils down to...is improving one's skills and broadening one's horizons as a signmaker. (Or airbrush illustrator, or gilder, or striper)

The end result. Better work.

A good sign, is the result of good design skills.
These skills include use of color, typestyles and negative and posative space, among other things.

Good designs can be achieved with a quill, a #2 pencil, a mouse or a sharpie marker.

I'm not going to hijack Kevin's post, and lead it in a different direction, but you seem to have a very narrow point of view regarding the trade. Not all people that work with computers and vinyl are "jockeys" or hacks. No more than all signmakers that work with paint are superior. They are two of many mediums we use.

Truth be known, I probably would view Kevin with a little more respect, if he had stuck to his guns about this being a "computer-free meet". I've said it many times, that a man needs to have convictions. He was dead-set on the no computer thing when I spoke with him last week...now he apparently is sucumbing to the pressure of the "pro-technology" crowd. Maybe he's just adapting and adjusting, which is also an admirable trait.

Posts: 465 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to keep people posted on what I am working on. I am trying to set up a QuickBooks seminar. I talked with a company that only teaches QuickBooks and we are trying to work out details about having someone come in and teach how to set up QuickBooks for our industry. And maybe even a seminar for the more advance users. Would anyone be interested in something like this? They quoted me a price yesterday but I wasn't happy with it. The gal is going back to talk with her boss to see how they can scale it down. They wanted each class to be 3 hrs and I thought that was too long. I suggestd 2 hrs classes and maybe even 2-3 2hr. classes. I told her that I would post it on the board and see what the response is.

I am also working on seeing if I can get Home Depot to donate some pink stryofoam insulation. This would be for another workshop that I am working on. A workshop to learn how to route, carve, and paint this stuff so that it looks like stone. Stone for pillars, stone wall, decorations, etc. Is there any interest in this?

[ May 13, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura,
I think Quickbooks training is an excellent idea for signshop owners. I also think trying to have a seminar at a meet is probably no so good of an idea. If Quickbooks wanted to sponsor a pre-paid seminar that just explains the basic features to help sell us on the product... that would be good... but the next level of training needed IMO is so different & personally catered to a specific shops needs... that as much as I would be willing to pay for QB training... I wouldn't pay anything to sit in a room full of others to get generic information... even if it doesn't cost "extra"... I wouldn't even pay attention because I don't think there is that much to say about it beyond the basics that would apply to everyone.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hats off to you, Kevin.

Hosting a meet is always a grand undertaking and it takes a lot of personal time and effort.
It seems like your really putting you heart and soul into this one to create an exceptional event, and joing us here seems to have fired you up even more...just like a live meet does.

How cool is that?

Welcome to Letterville!
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,
I had thought the same and didn't know what this training company could cover in such a short amount of time. I myself, am ready to ungrade from QBPro2002 to a new versions and have wondered which edition is best for our type of industry. If this company can't give us anything that we can work with, I do have an inside connection to QB's. My nephew is the head of the website design department. (IN his late 20's he had over a 6 figure income). So I imagine that he could probably give me a name to contact to see if I can get them to come in as a vendor/seminar (maybe just to explain the different editions so we can decide which is best for us)/ and hopefully donate some software.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off I would just like to say that the computer is just a tool, and a very rarely used one in my business (except for playing around online when I should be working) but valuable as can be when we do use it for production, and saves me amazing amounts of time.....just as bad signs are made with the "evil" computer there are equally as bad signs generated by the brush, open your mind to the tools, techniques and materials available to you and you can make amazing things, what a joy it is to learn new techniques to be able to make a larger variety of signs for our customers....

at my next meet I would rather see a description or short class or demonstration of estimate instead of quickbooks, however I have no personal preference as to what is shown at this meet as I feel that should be decided by the people who will be in attendance at this meet.

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura, I think it would be a lot more beneficial to teach people the basics of accounting and taxes rather than some software that is suppost to do everything for them. The software is only as good as the person who set it up & the person running it.
Having a background in accounting, I am constantly amazed at the amount of people (in all industries) who operate their own businesses and don't have the first clue about accounting.

ie. Sole proprietors of un-incorporated businesses take money out of the business as a DRAW, not as Wage Expense.

Also: there are also a lot of hack tax preparers out there who just take the numbers their customers give them without looking into their business & as a result these people lose out on tax deductions.

Edited to add: I'm with Dan on the estimate thing. If I hadn't been bitched at constantly to get it, I wouldn't have bought it. (Thanks Rochon) There was a learning curve & I took the time to go over all the materials putting in my costs but now I love it. I've heard others say they don't have time to learn it. Can't get them to understand taking a couple hours today to learn it will save you many hours doing estimates from here on.

[ May 13, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Kissymatina ]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my two cents:
Don't waste $$ on a quick-books seminar. You MIGHT get 2 attendees. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]
Nobody wants to sit and listen to something like that for 3 hours when there is PAINT calling their names (and gold leaf too)
At least nobody I know....
Talks on bookeeping and pricing are always nice to hear, but better when they are coming from a fellow Head who knows the ropes of the sign biz.
As for the insulation seminar, I want to paint a banner for that area: "The Itchy and Scratchy Show!" hahahaha
Love...Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Kissy,
YOu are right abut the accounting. I believe if someone wants their business to start showing a profit, they need to know more about accounting. I still haven't given up on the QB's.

Jill, I too think 3 hrs. is way to long too. I have to disagree with "someone would rather paint". I would rather learn more about accounting thatn paint and then hire someone to do the painting I need. I don't want to hear someone in our business talk to me about accounting. I want to go to a professional.

I hope that we can agree to disagree.

Kissy, You made me think of another seminar that might be possible. I have a good customer that is a law professor at University of Michigan. Maybe I should look into having him talk on the difference of S-Corp, vs LLC, etc. My business is a S corp and now I am wondering if it should have been an LLC.

[ May 13, 2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Me personally, I would have no need for this in what i do. Maybe there are some that would. I don't know. I think we should leave the issue to a minimum.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura honestly no offense...but

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ not at a meet

just my opinion

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

I pay an accountant to do my books....I would rather PAINT...as would most of the Letterheads I know.
Love...Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura Butler:
I don't want to hear someone in our business talk to me about accounting. I want to go to a professional.

Laura, perhaps you should consider how many of us 'heads also have accounting degrees. I'm not the only one.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura I recommend that you stick to the basics of a typical meet. If I want accounting information I know where to go. Besides I agree with the others that if were going to do ANYTHING in the direction of running a business I would prefer someone in the same business to be talking to me.

I have a former co-worker who went to one of thses so called Quickbooks seminars that was sponsored by the software vendor and lets just say, she learned more about the software in one day of using it than she did in that seminar that our boss paid too much for. At that point I was VERY glad I didnt pay anything for the seminar when I had my previous business.

Furthermore I dont want some legal mumbojumbo person talking in legaleze to me. Its only going to be HIS/HER "opinion" anyway.
Ask 5 lawyers the same question and youll get 6 answers, all being somewhat correct.

Why dont you try contacting Mark Smith from Estimate about maybe doing some sort of seminar and bringing demo and sale copies of his software, I for one have faith in his software. I tried the demo and liked it ALOT.

Try appealing to the masses instead of yourself and youll accomplish much more.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana says that there is just no accounting for me...

Wow! I didn't know they had pink insulation in the 30's! What the heck were the guys that built my house thinking? They could have been using that stuff instead of the "stuff" they did...

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Be nice..........

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

I just got of the phone with Ken Millar, he is teaming up with Bob Behoneck to give a Layout and
Design seminar. This should be great to watch.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce..quit it! LOL

I'm amazed that Dana hasn't kicked yer sorry butt to the curb yet!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

What is that insulaton "stuff" that that they used in the 30's to make fake stone anyway??? hahahahaha

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8889 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian O'Prey
Visitor
Member # 4063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian O'Prey   Email Brian O'Prey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apart from being an award-winning sign painter/artist/designer (not necassarily in that order) I also have a degree in astro-physics which I could give a seminar on. Who knows, in the future we might have to paint in the dark, wieghtless vacuum that is the void of space......and we will all need to know how the properties of paint change in such a hostile environment.
However, if I need plumbing I call a plumber; if I need electrics I call an electrician; if I need building I call a builder. Guess who I call when I need accounting?
As for pink insulation.....I prefer green.
Well it's Friday afternoon, the sun is low in the sky and the bar closes at 0200. Time for a beer, some inspiration and then in the early hours gazing at the stars and planets, dreaming of putting the first sign on Mars. The moon is so yesterday.

--------------------
Brian O'Prey
Brian O'Prey, Artist and Designer
5 Old Movilla Road,
Newtownards
County Down
Northern Ireland
BT23 8HH
Tel. 028 9181 3517
email-brianlionzion@hotmail.com

Posts: 91 | From: Newtownards, County Down, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Here is a tip for new brushes:

An old signpainter at the 83' Kansas meet said if I want my brushes to last longer, take a push pin, heat the tip and above the wire, push the pin into the ferrule creating what he described as drain holes. This allows the paint,thinner and brush oil to clean the hairs inside the ferrule better and prevents an air bubble from getting sealed in. This air bubble, he said, causes paint build up which eventually will cause the brush to split or lose hair. I have been doing that since and found the results to be true.

krazy kevin

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Thanks for the tip, Kevin!
I don't have one of those new-fangled hydroponic autoclavish Joey Madden type thingies for cleaning brushes.
Gonna do that ASAP. Good idea!
Love...Jill

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah Jill, those new fandangle hydroponic autoclavish whatshamacallit thingies have been saving my brushes for over 30 years, thats nu tecknoligie learnin to klean ya brushes huh?

Thank you Kevin for the email and history lesson about your father and grandfather I enjoyed the good read. I'd like to make your meet but am totally afraid of Masonic temples and big cities [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Actually I pay my accountant to clean my brushes. [Razz]
j.

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Joey, no need to worry. I think once your inside you will be memorized. The building was built from 1922-1927. It is the world's largest. Some of the room's have never been touched since then. I believe there is somewhere around 1,045 room's in the building.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin, I think you mean MESmerized. [Wink] Memorizing Joey!!!? hehehehe THAT could take a while!!

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

P.S. My Great-Grandfather also painted sign's. He started in 1927. Before that, he was a Window Dresser. Back then, there were 2 guy's responsible for a window. One a Dresser, the other a Sho-card writer. When the depression hit, the company had to lay one off. Since he already knew how to dress a window, he told them he could also do the lettering. So goes another story of how someone got into the business. I bet there are alot of stories like this one. We all had to start somewhere...

Another brush tip:

To straighten a bent brush, clean with laquer thinner, spin the brush out in your hand's, let dry about 10 min. Comb the hair's; which should ALWAYS be done prior to painting, then turn on a light bulb, around 75 watts, gently put the hair on the bulb, applying a little pressure with your thumb, than slowly pull in the opposite direction of the bent hairs. The heat will re-shape the hairs as you pull them while applying a little pressure. It should be corrected in maybe 2-3 pulls. When you are satisfied, comb the hair again and oil. That's it. This has been passed down in the family. Knowledge is great, but only
if it's shared.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for any misspelling, my mind is faster than my finger's. Boy my hands are sore.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Brian O'Prey
Visitor
Member # 4063

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Brian O'Prey   Email Brian O'Prey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean your fingers are faster than your mind.

--------------------
Brian O'Prey
Brian O'Prey, Artist and Designer
5 Old Movilla Road,
Newtownards
County Down
Northern Ireland
BT23 8HH
Tel. 028 9181 3517
email-brianlionzion@hotmail.com

Posts: 91 | From: Newtownards, County Down, Ireland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Bri, I think my brain is closing down. I think I will go to sleep for now. To tired to stay awake.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Here is another update:
I have enlisted Jay Elliot who has been involved in varnish for the past 20 years. He does all of our work when we need something varnished. This will be a very exciting aspect to the craft. I will continue to bring more information as it comes in. Thank You.

krazy kevin

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kevin... Am looking forward to this meet and would be disappointed to see you thrown off track by a few nay-sayers. The idea is really a great one and I would have thrown my support in earlier but like you I also have problems trying to do simple things like login etc. Bill Pickett got it right a few notes back and with that and the Detroit Lettering School as a "moniker" and "mentor" for such an event you should stay the course. It's not difficult to predict this might be one of the great ones.!!!!! Before the earlier posts were deleted(as they should have been) there were some very disparaging remarks made about the original letterheads. Mark,Noel and the many others (new and old)etc. I took this as a personal affront as these people are friends of mine who not unlike you and I have difficulties with this medium, whether thru lack of time or interest. It was truly an inspiration, on their behalf,to have this wonderful organised un-organisation! I'm sure they had ventures like yours in mind when they left it all open for personal inspiration and interpretation. I'd also like to add that,it was also open for people like Steve here (with his web page) and Dave and Doc (with the magasine)to use the name "letterheads" without recrimination.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

I must admit I was kinda one of the nay-sayers on that other post.
But I have been in contact a lot with Kevin recently thru emails, IMs, and a phone call today.
He has the best of intentions. He is a lot like me in planning the 2002 International. He just wants to please everybody, and that in and of itself is an awesome task.
There will be many of my heroes at this meet: Knecht, Behounek, Millar (those are all the names I can think of without scrolling back) and of course Kevin's dad, Wild Bill.
Unfortunately today we live in an "instant" society- instant messages, websites, even instant signs. Many of the comments folks found offensive on the other post were not made by Kevin.
Kevin wasn't "hip" in the ways of Letterville, but he has come a long way in one week about posting. I have seen him attacked in other posts, and it makes me SAD.
That is NOT what Letterheads is about. It's about fellowship, sharing, teaching. Not bitching and behind-the-back gossiping.
Let he who has NOT hosted an International throw the first stone. If you haven't done it, quit yer whining about costs and being mean to others. Some folks have YET to go to a meet! Attend a meet, any meet, be it Detroit or not. You will see that any meet takes on a life of its own. The people are what make the meet.
Yes, it has to be organized...like clockwork. Yes, it is horrendously expensive to do. Yes, it will change your life, as a host and as a guest.
I agree that most of us do use computers. But everyone can benefit from learning a few basic design principles. Not everyone paints. But we all share common jobs....designing, dealing with customers, working with colors, promoting our businesses.
And one of the best things you can do for yourself as a signmaker is to attend a live meet.
End of rant.
Kevin....GOOD LUCK. Thank you for your hard work.
Love...Jill [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
-Russ McMullin

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!