Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Hello Everyone, let me introduce myself!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello Everyone, let me introduce myself!
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, let me introduce myself, my name is Julio Tome. I started a home based sign business about three months ago, and I really love it. I also work part time at a regular job a couple days a week. My interest in sign makeing began over ten years ago when a friend and I both worked at a local chain of hardware stores that had a in house sign shop at there head office. Anyways my friend got a promotion to go work at the sign shop and after about a year he decided to start his own sign business. Anyways after seeing him make signs at home with his computer I fell in love with the trade, and felt it was a perfect home based business. I did not start my own sign business as I felt I would be stealing his idea and competing with him. Over the years we lost touch and after trying to start a different unsuccesful business, and not being happy with my current boring job, the sign shop idea that has been nagging me in the back of my thoughts for years has come to life. So I basically have no sign making experience except for watching my friend those many years ago. I have done a few signs now and am getting better all the time. I printed up some flyers and have been going door to door to drum up some business and it seems to work as I get at least one job per 50 flyers I deliver. I am also looking for another local sign shop that I can visit and learn from on occasion as well as sub contract out larger jobs that I cannot handle myself. Thanks alot. P.S. It was the very welcoming responses to Jim Brannen's introduction that made me register as well. You all are so nice! [Applause] [Thanks]

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Julio,
welcome to the wonderful world of Letterville! [Smile]
This is the best place to hang out if you want to become a good signmaker.
Have fun and ask lots of questions.

Lotti

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julio,

Welcome aboard. As I mentioned to Jim, check out the "Future Live Meets" section, find a Letterheads meet and go. You will certainly be "Wowed!"

There are many talented folk in your general area. Call them up, stop in, chat, observe and ask questions. Most tormented their teachers with query after query when they started and consider answering questions now a part of "paying their dues".

Check with the Letterville merchants and purchase the book "Mastering Layout" by Mike Stevens. Mike did a wonderful job of trying to quantify what makes for effective sign design.

I hope the sign business gives you what you are looking for.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5092 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ernie Balch
Resident

Member # 3545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernie Balch   Author's Homepage   Email Ernie Balch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julio,

Welcome aboard. This is the best place to learn outside a live meet.

ernie

--------------------
Ernie Balch
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY
518-885-9899

Posts: 405 | From: Malta, NY | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julio....
Didn't I see you & Paul Simon down by the schoolyard?
Just kidding.
Welcome to the Zany world of Letterheads.
Try to find a meet to go to. Letterville is the next best thing! Well, maybe it's even better because it is at your fingertips 24/7.
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're so quick Jill!

Welcome aboard Julio.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Julio! Glad to have you aboard! If you like it here just wait till you go to a live letterhead meet.
Good luck!
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Julio, I'm just across the River from you, in Burnaby! I used to work in Surrey, at Sign Magic, many years ago.

How's about we get together and yak, I used to do a lot of vinyl, just hand lettering now, but I miss the old ways!

Keep at it, there's lots to gain at this Letterville place.

Later, John Lennig / SignRider

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm sure I will learn alot from you guys and gals. Hi John Lennig, its nice to meet you. It would be great to get together and chat.

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you found this site through Signcraft Magazine. If you haven't already, subscribe and learn. Along with this site, it's a wealth of information.
By the way, take up John's offer. He made an absolutely awesome panel for me from the first panel swap, and it's obvious he is very talented. You could learn a lot.
Good luck.
Bob Kaschak

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1875 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!