Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Finding Clip-Art a waste of time and money

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding Clip-Art a waste of time and money
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this will be a heated topic, but today I have realized that Clipart is a waste of time and money for me.

Spending precious time looking for an image only to come up with many many images that don't quite fit what is envisioned to begin with, if I only would take the time right off the bat and draw what I need I not only get exactly what I want but continue to hone my design skills and drawing skills.

Occasionally it works but most of the time I find myself just sitting snd spinning my wheels. [Roll Eyes]

It's like a woman buying a truck load of shoes with hopes there would be a pair to look fabulous with her dress, in her size.

[ May 05, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right up there with "MATCH THIS FONT".....

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think both of you should re-evaluate your position in life and try on-line doctoring. I hear that all one has to do is position themselves in front of the monitor and answer questions pertaining to one's body by clicking on the mouse. After a couple years, you could open your own office or is that orofice?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahaahaha Joey ... your reply is tops! Shows wizdom beyond your years [Smile]

I am a firm believer in "draw and scan" when it comes to having to cut vinyl graphics. Fortunately my system allows me to do this quite quickly. That goes for weird fonts used in corporate logos too!

But it so much easier to photocopy onto acetate, project and paint!

The brush still rules! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

Sounds like yer frustrated. What's the matter, ya couldn't find the right size to match yer dress?

[Razz]
Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon Butterworth - I like your reply. Many times I have done just that. To launch the program, diddle around in it, cut, weed, mask and apply, it sometimes is a waste. And a shot of paint is way less expensive materials-wise. Also the freedom with working directly on the material is still a rush.

Clip-art has always been this way. Twenty years ago the amount available was a fraction of what it is now, you had to buy it in advance and it was not cheap, and it was never the right image.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love being able to draw.
Thank God for scanners!
Altho I do use clip art a lot, it is nice to be able to not need it.
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You right Bob, ditto Jon and Jill -- draw and scan.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that, Bob. Clipart isn't even my work, so why should I want it? Besides, most if it looks like. . .like clipart.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bingo!
ditto
as above

ps as Bruce says, the trouble with clip art is that it looks like clip art, which can lead you to think the customer or signie is opting for a cheap way out, rather than quality.

[ May 06, 2004, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, Your post leads me to beleive I wont get Joey's post until I reach his age, so I guess I'll print it out and wait untill then.

Geez talk about a delayed punch line lol [Razz]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moon
Visitor
Member # 452

Icon 3 posted      Profile for The Moon   Email The Moon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My customers get the opportunity to "save" $$$ by looking through the clipart BOOKS that I have with my clip art CD's and find pieces "they like". They sit there in a chair armed with a small pad of Post-its and tab the pieces on the pages they like.

It gives me an idea what's IN their head and a direction for their design theme AND I'm not scanning the books and chewing on the CD's while flipping through page after page after page.

They are happy, I am happy and we both get the "control" factor in the design/time we BOTH want.

The "You Do It" side of the Moon

--------------------
The Moon
aka: Stefenie Harris
Moonlight Designs
Pollock Pines, CA
learnin' somethin' new every day!
stefenie@comcast.net

Posts: 550 | From: Pollock Pines, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive got a ton of "expensive" clipart and dont think ive used it more the 10 times in in 10 yrs.
now ive said this before about print artist and ill say it again for $30 you cant get better clipart. the program had about 50,000 pieces of clipart. the neatest feature of this program is any graphic you pull up a page, you then can print it in COLORING BOOK mode. this is a vector type graphic where no lines cross and it can be scanned into STREAMLINE of any trace program and will yeild a very clean VECTOR(cutable)graphic.
the older versions up to 6 had books of graphics. the newer version have a PRINT CATALOG of graphic option.
if you have corel most of the graphic in PA will be vector if you just pull em up in PA, copy to clipboard and paste in corel.......and if you can draw, a lot of these can be added to. also ive got a 4x5 WACOM tablet....$50 and it works like its supposed to, compared to older versions that had all kinda problems.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think The "MOON" has it right....
Dont argue with me because I'm
older,wiser and better lookin'.

Just shutup!

Thats what I'm talking about.

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Quick
Visitor
Member # 2649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Quick   Email Raymond Quick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Old Paint, gave the order to my boss and it turns out he worked on making version 4. Small world.

--------------------
Raymond Quick
Ye Thicker Than Thou Sign and Repair Shoppe
Olympic College, 1600 Chester Ave Bremerton, WA 98337
rquick@oc.ctc.edu

Posts: 50 | From: Bremerton Washington | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Jon and Ro . . . .I don't even know about draw & scan . . . .
I draw and project (giggle).

~~~~~and if I ever lose my hands . . . .
~~~~~O'weeeeeeeeeeeeee,
~~~~~O'weeeeeeeee,
I won't have to draw no more~~~~~~~~

The pen, (pencil, brush) is mightier than the sword . . . . but not with nubs.

Thank the Lord for the amazing gift of hands.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] AMAZING [Eek!]
I have found a post that I agree with everybody...
about everything [Applause]

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!