Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Removing vinyl from boats

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Removing vinyl from boats
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

Last week I posted a question requesting ideas for putting temporary signs on a tour boat that's headed to Alaska(in 5 days, of course) for just 1 season, and then will be back in Seattle, leased to a completely different company. In other words all the tour company signage will have to be removed at that time.
Thank you to all who gave me guidance on that question!

I was told by my supplier that even high performance vinyl could be removed,(carefully) after 4 months on the boat,with very little damage to a good marine paint job IF i heated up the vinyl with a hairdryer before removing, and then cleaned up any remaining adhesive with a 3M spray adhesive remover. He says he's done it many times with great success.

What do you think?
[Thanks]
Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Posts: 72 | From: Lynnwood, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 15 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carefull with that 3-m stuff, it will bite the paint.
If you would like a FREE sample of Rapid Remover and 4 other products, just e-mail your street address to; mail@rapidtac.com

I'm sure many folks here will agree with me on this.

Roger [Wink]

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You Roger,

It just happens that I JUST made an inquiry on the subject directly to your E-mail address, (along with a request for one of those hats you were so generously offering). I WILL definitely E - mail that request for product samples.

But while I have your ear, does this job seem like a "no big deal" proposal?
Sounds like Rapid Remover will NOT "bite" the paint.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Posts: 72 | From: Lynnwood, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rapid remover works great, I have never had a paint ruined by it.
And using high performance vinyl on a boat then later remove it will work.

Except, one small detail.. Staining. will the water splash up to the vinyl? And if it does. is the water a staining type water. Here our rootbeer colored water will stain some boats. Vinyl will protect the boat finish just enuf to cause a very slight shadow.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use the best vinyl and it'll come right off with a heat gun and some rapid remover to eliminate any residual adhesive remaining. Ocean water in the north Pacific will not stain.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6718 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input y'all!

Sounds like I have my answer!!

Jennifer [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rapid Remover really smells good too.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At $65.00 per hour,You would think the "Swabbies"
woul do the removal.

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will always maintain that the steamer is the absolute only way to remove vinyl. Safe, cost effective & complete. I have removed 1000's yards with this tool.....less than $100.

Regards,

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3486 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Pat, I think the swabbies will probably be doing that part of the job, but the boss wants to be able to give them a method, cause he knows that otherwise he'll end up repainting. Ever seen what a swabbie can do with a wire brush? Yikes!!!

I'm curious about this steamer idea. Is that a clothing steamer wand your talking about?

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!