Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Hay all yawl! I have an airbrush question!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hay all yawl! I have an airbrush question!
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sure has been awhile since I've been here. I stumbled into the library and low and behold, I had an email with my password in it so I could get on the BB and say hello!

I do have a question though. I have a sign guy here trying to get me to airbrush a motorcycle tank and wants me to use 1-shot. He wants to have it cleared afterwards with automotive clear and I would like to know what I could use to thin the paint with to avoid any problems with lifting or fading.

I promise, I tried to talk him into getting PPG paints or not clearing since we're using 1-shot.
I realize I may get flamed for asking but I'm on limited time here in the library and have not been painting all winter. I know that things change critically and often in our profession and would absolutely adore any productive advice I could get.

I'll come back to the library later this evening and check for replies. I want to read about the Dixie dew-hickie coming up and check out the rest of the portfolio page as well.

I've been in chat for a few minutes but no response from "Furby"...so reckon I'll head out now and see all yawl later! (the library closes at 8pm so don't expect me here in the wee hours of the evening)

Much Love and Laughter!

[ March 25, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Linda Silver Eagle ]

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Flewelling
Visitor
Member # 2577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Flewelling   Email Dale Flewelling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda, If you can get PPG paints to use, I highly recomend it! Specialy if your going to clearcoat after. The basecoats dry faster and you can work the art project alot faster. I reduce my basecoats with plain ol' laquer thinner. Good luck Linda

--------------------
Dale Flewelling
Art Attack Signs & Design
Newport, NH

Posts: 114 | From: Newport, New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi stranger! Welcome back!

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 14 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, long time no see!

One shot has a new hardener that MIGHT help with this situation, but I have no experience under those conditions. There was a thread here awhile back about this very subject, I think a guy had a motorcycle tank artwork job get TOASTED this very same way (one shot under clear). I don't remember the title of the posting, but certainly worth seeing.

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Williams
Resident

Member # 516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Williams   Email George Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
use the hardener 1-shot makes or use the same hardener the painter will use in his clear...if you use the 1-shot hardener make sure you leave plenty of time to gas out before clearing...run the 1-shot as thin as possible and still cover..hope this helps

--------------------
George Williams
Pinstriping By George
Lascassas, TN

Posts: 40 | From: lascassas, tn. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome back!

Kathy, I sure have missed you!

Dale, if only! LOL

James, Du-u-u-ude! I know, right! I really don't want to start off the season with a burn job!

George, I really appreciate your advice. Thank you so much!

Now off to the chat room...only 20 minutes left to be here in the library!

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Linda!
Thought I would say Hi too. Was wondering what ya been up to, and its good to hear from ya again.

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fly like an eagle, been racking up any wing miles there Linda? Long time girl, howdy....in answer to your very interesting post, let me tell ya what I'd do and have in these situations. I agree w/customer and when their gone, I use base-coat and clear over it, by time they see it, no-one could tell the difference. Even if their right there, once in a mixing cup, it's impossible to tell if it's one-shot or base-coat, I've even set-up base-coat into one-shot cans just to apppease the customer, then do it the proper way and the hell w/their silly-assed request, are they the painter? don't think so, so why do we let them dictate our procedures that we have trialed over the years to know which is which and that that is not? I don't, I cheat when it comes to that, if customer was knowledgeable enough to insist on paint system that will fail, why would I go along w/them and their ideas when I already know it won't and shouldn't work. Any of this make sense to you? hope so, now, you need to be getting to the libarary more girl, we miss ya.....heh-heh....frank

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hay Stevo and Mr Magoo! I survived a winter in West Virginia...someday at a meet I can share stories that would make you laugh and cry. Thought I would check in and see if anybody answered the question about what to thin the 1-shot with besides mineral spirits as the PPG paints are not an option for me in this case.

I miss all yawl as well! You have no idea how hard it's been not to have youse guys to chat with at will. I'm going to try dial-up again soon. RIght now it's pretty tight.

Well gotta go and I'll come back when I can. Gas prices are up and it lasts half or a third as long as it did a few weeks ago. They say the gas stations are thinning it out again. Wow, tough place.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and I'll see you later!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS You can call me at 304-425-5552 if you wish...I would love to hear from everybody. I'm leading a Bible study class tonight and will be back home by 10pm I believe.

Much Love and Laughter,
Lindian

[ March 26, 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Linda Silver Eagle ]

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

Jefferson Howery
Visitor
Member # 3497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jefferson Howery   Email Jefferson Howery       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just another bit of info:

DON'T use any thinners for the one-shot... paint thinner is manufactured to break down the paint for clean up. you want to use one-shot reducer (http://www.1shot.com/Reducers.html). find out if the base coat is poly acrylic. if it is, then be wary of a clear coat. there may be seperation. be shurew to give a nice prep with a gray scotch brite for a nice bite.

hope this is helpful, j.

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
- H. G. Wells

--------------------
Jefferson Howery
Firebrand Fabrication
1029 Western Ave.
Vallejo, CA
-------------------------------------
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
- H. G. Wells

Posts: 8 | From: Vallejo, ca | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda..I held back on posting anything on this tread to see what others would recommend. Some say "try this" and others say what I would consider the correct thing.

When dealing with automotive paints on bike tanks or cars or whatever....stick to automotive paints for the graphics.

Just my 2 cents, trying to help you prevent a potential disaster.

I know I sure wouldn't use sign enamels, even with their hardener, in between automotive base and clear.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Linda,
Just my 2 cents worth... I just finished a bike tank and fenders all flamed with 1Shot and cleared it, no problem. This is not the first time I've done this either with no problems, as I use 1Shot all the time (I also use automotive paints as well) but have not had problems with clearing ove 1Shot.

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!