Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Recommendations for Vinyl cutter (beginning shop)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recommendations for Vinyl cutter (beginning shop)
Richard Mercer
Visitor
Member # 4574

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Richard Mercer   Email Richard Mercer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting up my sign business and have very, very little money to spend on a vinyl cutter machine. I would like recommendations for vinyl cutters and anyone's experience with their own. I'm looking for a machine that will cut vinyl letters (probably no bigger than 12") and that will also create pounce patterns as well. Ideally, it will be able to import graphics by interfacing with a Windows PC, but that's not a necessity right now. I can't afford $3,000.00 for a machine, I'm looking closer to around $1,000.00 or cheaper until the business can get going. Thank you in advance!!!

--------------------
Rick Mercer
Sign Wizard
218 Salem St.
Wakefield, MA 01880
skyyman@hotmail.com

Posts: 9 | From: Wakefield, MA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HiYa Richard;
Your FIRST post here,reminds me of my FIRST customer!Hope your business doesn't go downhill as fast as his did!
You can ALWAYS "hand cut" with exacto knife, any and all vinyl needed to produce signs.
To purchase the needed(machine of your choice!

Sorry..no brand names

GOOD LUCK

hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a gerber 4b I would sell you [Smile]

drop me an email if interested...

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iam a corel user and when i started this i went to a ROLAND. i can and still do cut right from corle draw for 90% of what i cut. and i just bought another roland PNC-1100 ON EBAY FOR $1125.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Thomas
Visitor
Member # 1356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Thomas   Email Robert Thomas       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry, Gerber4-B,
Good machine to interface with a PC.
I wouldn't like to learn all of the x-y moves again.

I like my 24" friction feed plotter.

[ March 18, 2004, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Robert Thomas ]

--------------------
Rob Thomas
3410 Ketcham Ct
Beautiful Springs FL 34134

Posts: 965 | From: Bonita Springs, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harvie Loomis
Resident

Member # 1635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harvie Loomis   Email Harvie Loomis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Richard,

Check out www.signwarehouse.com Great people, products, and service. When I started out this is where I was advised to go. Best advise I was ever given. Good luck!

Harvie Loomis

--------------------
Harvie Loomis
Loomis Signs
76 Cortright Hill Road
Newark Valley, NY 13811
(607)642-8616
tozrox@frontiernet.net

Posts: 47 | From: Newark Valley, NY 13811 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Weber

Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Weber   Author's Homepage   Email John Weber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can hardly believe the replies this newbee has received with his first post looking for help. Woops, I forgot, I’M AT LETTERVILL…

Richard, I don’t know what to recommend but I know where to get the info. you are looking for. Contact: www.signwarehouse.com or phone 800-699-5512. They will be able to help you and get you going in the right direction. They “use to be” a merchant here. Heavy on the “use to be”. I’m sure you can figure out the why they “use to be…” I wish you the best in your new business.
John Weber

--------------------
John Weber
3863 Buckskin Rd. NE
Carlos, MN 56319
800-853-7051

WEBERmade
weber@webermade.com

Posts: 29 | From: Carlos, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For about ~1k you you will be able to pick up a used 24" roland, good machines for the price. There a quite a number of us here who cut directly from corel, and quite a few more who cut with corel and a plug-in. Don't get pushed into a pricy sign software pkg it isn't necessary...
I own both signlab (came with engraver), and Flexisign (came with Matan printer) but I cut vinyl directly from Coreldraw as a matter of choice. Neither Flexi nor Signlab can hold a torch to Coreldraw when it comes to design features. and corel is a complete suite including trace, photopaint, and rave (animation). It also includes over 1000 fonts (both TT and Type One) and a ton of vector clipart. I'd recommend any of the later versions 9,10,11 (12 is current), all work quite well and are easy to find on Ebay

Use the BB search and you'll find lots of info on the subject.

... Oh ... Welcome aboard [Smile]

edit .. (spelling)

[ March 18, 2004, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: TransLab ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey

Welcome to Letterville!

I have a Gerber matched system, Edge, Envision plotter and Omega software. I have never had an issue that could'nt be resolved with a single phone call. Never have I waited more than 15 minutes for a live human being to help me.

Just as important as the brand of plotter, is the customer service and tech support, which is where sign warehouse lacks. They are noted for a good price, but you have to look beyond the price.

I have had excellent support from Advantage Sign Supply. I have tried others, but never has anyone equalled them. (800-522-3698) They have several locations nationwide.

Hope this helps, feel free to email or call. Ultimatly, your decision will set the tone for the early years of business. There is nothing worse than down time when you are trying to build a new business.

Warm regards,

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3488 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Mercer
Visitor
Member # 4574

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Richard Mercer   Email Richard Mercer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I really didn't expect anyone to reply for a week or so. I'll be coming back here with all my questions from now on.

I took a hiatis from the sign business for about 8 years and I'm taking another shot at running it part time and it looks like I made a good decision to join this site. When I graduated from Butera School of Art, vinyl was just starting to gain speed and after recently checking Signcraft's web site and this site and others, it appears vinyl and computers are a mainstream tool now. It seems everyone using them for stencils, masks, etc.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well.

--------------------
Rick Mercer
Sign Wizard
218 Salem St.
Wakefield, MA 01880
skyyman@hotmail.com

Posts: 9 | From: Wakefield, MA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Mercer
Visitor
Member # 4574

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Richard Mercer   Email Richard Mercer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again for all the advice. I was wondering if these machines come with a pounce wheel attachment like the old Gerber machines had so you can make pounce patterns with them. I would like this feature to save time on pattern making. I do alot of airbrushed hand-lettering and saving time making patters would be huge.

--------------------
Rick Mercer
Sign Wizard
218 Salem St.
Wakefield, MA 01880
skyyman@hotmail.com

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,

Most new plotters have pounce options which act like a sewing machine. The good ole 4B's still have plenty of use to them and have pounce wheels.

Having the experience you have amd skills after butera I would recommend the 4B. Yes you can buy a new fangled high speed plotter for cheap money today but the 4B is still a work horse and was designed to be in a work shop rather than an office.

I personally would not recommend any supplier who "used" to be a merchant here and would not do business with them either. This site still rocks but sometimes you just have to weed through the Bull ****!

Just curious what led you away from the sign biz? and what brought you back?

If you dont want to answer that publicly I understand.

Oh and I forgot, welcome to letterville

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Roland and cutting straight from Corel.

The great thing is if you don't have Corel you can get Corel 9 for under $20.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some very encouraging posts here for Rick?! Use an xacto knife?

Rick, Here are a couple of links that may help you out. The "Lynx" cutters aren't some of the higher end names like Roland, Graphtec, Summa, Ioline, etc. But you can get a new 24" for only $1,200. There have been good and bad stories about these plotters...but I gotta believe it would be decent to get you going.

I gotta tell you, I sold a Roland PNC 950 to a gentlemen that pops in and out of here and wish I would have kept it.(I hope it's worked out for you Dennis!) The Summa I bought is tougher to use in that their control panel must have been designed by aliens...nothing makes sense. It's like you have to learn an ancient heiroglyphic code...Rolands are straight forward and do the job. MHO.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/cutters/ve/lynx24.htm

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/cutters/desktop/default.asp

Hope these links help you out and like some suggested...you might try checking out ebay.

Good luck Rick, and much success to you and your new business. [Smile]

[ March 19, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to the classified section and read what i posted in the PNC-1100 post.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Colclough
Visitor
Member # 4582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Colclough   Author's Homepage   Email Diane Colclough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of good replies here...check out e-bay!! It's your best bet to get equipment under $1000.00 but seeing as you do a lot of airbrushed hand lettering why not see about a printer cutter? It prints full color, contour cuts, works as a stand alone cutter...ecol-solvent ink is the way to go...This route saves time, materials, fumes, you don't have to keep a lot of vinyl in stock...
PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT!!! This will quickly make your business grow,...Keep watching E-Bay for great deals!! Good luck!

--------------------
Diane Colclough
Disigns
114 Downie St.
Stratford, Ontario
disigns1@execulink.com

Posts: 2 | From: Stratford, Ontario | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Mercer
Visitor
Member # 4574

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Richard Mercer   Email Richard Mercer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Bob,

To be brutally honest, I never really dedicated myself to my sign business and I never gave myself enough credit to charge what I deserved, so I ended up doing good sign jobs for cheap money and always ended up complaining that there was no money in this business.

I ended up going back to school and got into computers, which is what I'm doing now-I'm a computer analayst for a law firm.

I work nights so my days are free, so I'm going to try and start up the business again, but I'm going to make damn sure that I charge enough for my jobs. I've learned that you can't please everyone and also that if someone says they can get it cheaper, I'll try to convince them to get better with me and pay more otherwise I have to let them go... that's one of the only good things about aging... you do get wiser!

I'm sure this bulletin board is going to help me out a lot and will be back frequently.

--------------------
Rick Mercer
Sign Wizard
218 Salem St.
Wakefield, MA 01880
skyyman@hotmail.com

Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Letterville Rick! Gerber 4B's are workhorses but you need a fast card in order to design and cut from your computer. Otherwise you have to deal with X Y moves and a tiny LED window on the machine.
Good luck in your endeavor whatever plotter you end up with!
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the set-up that was mentioned here, a Lynx plotter (they're cheap in comparison) and cutting directly from Corel. But there is no pounce feature. Do you really want to go smaller than 24"?
I bought Corel 9 from e-bay, and have Corel 10 Upgrade, but 9 works just fine.
Congratulations on your attitude about pricing. Try the search feature (top right of this page) to find tons of great information on this and other topics.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!