Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Old Chromatic paint - should i take a chance?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old Chromatic paint - should i take a chance?
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some Chromatic paint (ivory), probably from the mid 90s. It seems OK, only had a slight skin on top.

Do you think it's OK to use this paint? The substrate is MDO already primered from supplier. I plan on putting 2 coats of ivory, then some vinyl letters, then one shot clear acrylic.

Thanks,
Steve
P.S. I think I know Si's answer... [Wink]

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . . go ahead . . .live on the wild side (giggle)

Seriously, I'm sure it could be fine.
SKIN IT AND COOK IT UP!!

Actually, you'll know when you get it opened and stirred and thinned a lil'.

But heck!! Whadda I kno? I think Tylenol's ok when it's been sittin 14 years too, lol

Are you going to spray or roll??
Always strain thru something to get any lil' clumps or anything that may be lurking.

Gee man, are you that hard-up you can only buy paint every decade? LOL

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sheila,

LOL - buy paint every decade... (just not much call for ivory - he he he)... [Big Grin]

Problem is, getting into the vinyl side is keeeling me on expenses. Every new sign is a new roll(s) of a different color vinyl. Not much inventory built up yet...

It's funny, when i was doing signs part time and had more money from my full time job, i wouldn't think twice about buying stuff. Now i'm much more cautious.

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 14 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure you cn, most likely you have some good stuff (with lead) I would have it shaken, then use it. I would also use Sheila's advice with the strainer, you'll get a better finish.

Why clear vinyl letters?

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cisco,

Good question about why clearing vinyl letters. Actually I was going to clear to protect the paint (thought it would give it more durability / less fade).

So maybe i should nix the clear?

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STOP!!

Back away from the old paint - don't even try to use it --
send it to me, and I'll -- uh...properly dispose of it.
[Wink]

Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely! I agree it's probably the good stuff.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Man! Old 1Shot don't need no stinkin cleer kote!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [FYI]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve I have been painting since 1990 and haven't cleared yet with no problems. [Dunno]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be afraid of the chromatic...in fact I'd buy it from you if you weren't so far away [Smile]

I've had lots of old chromatic and used it all the time...never regretted it.

But forget the clear...I've regretted everytime I've cleared something for out doors...now indoors ...thats another matter!

Good Luck!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hey Steve won't you take a cha-hance
C'mon Stevie let me have this dance~
I might have a skin, but that's okay~
Scrape it off and use me anyway
LET'S PAINT!"
-sung by the can of Chromatic in its best Lou Christie voice!
[Razz]
(I hope that's who sang that old song...before my time)

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeWayne Connot
Visitor
Member # 4417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeWayne Connot   Email DeWayne Connot       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would and have used old paint, However the one-shot Rep. told me that the older paint can have problems because of the dryers in the paint will "bind up" with the pigments and cause very slow dry times. I asked him because I did have some wierd dry times with of my paint. Just passing on what I was told, (still using some old paint I had on the shelves, Too damn cheap to throw it away when someone will pay to take it away a little at a time! LOL )
DeWayne

--------------------
DeWayne Connot
DOA Flatliners
Pinstriping To Die For!
Northwales, Pa
dconnot@verizon.net

Posts: 28 | From: Northwales, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol - Jill

unfortunately Lou Christie is not before my time...

loved the song! [Cool]

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have LOADS of "old paint" (one shot),use it all the time!
I also have LOADS of time to let it dry!

guess I have no where to go,and I am not in a hurry to get there.

hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Baird
Resident

Member # 3495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Baird   Email Terry Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Steve,
I've never had a problem with old 1-Shot or Chromatic, BUT..I've had several problems with "pre-primed" MDO! I always put a coat on myself.

[ March 05, 2004, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Terry Baird ]

--------------------
Terry Baird
Baird Signs
3484 West Lake Rd.
Canandaigua, NY 14424

Posts: 790 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,

Thanks for the heads up on the primed MDO.

I called my supplier this morning (Pioneer Supply in NJ) and asked what they used as a primer. They said they will get back to me... [Wink]

I do have a rather basic question about edge sealing and priming. I cut out the sign shape and, without thinking went ahead and edge sealed with West Systems epoxy. Then i began to wonder, should i have reprimed the edge before edge sealing?

(Believe it or not, this is my first MDO sign in 14 years - all my other signs have been redwood, mahogany, HDU or Dibond.)

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Frank Manning Jr.
Visitor
Member # 2699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Manning Jr.   Email Frank Manning Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve...As mentioned...the old paint should not be a problem....a few words of caution..pull the skin off before shaking and check the bottom of the can after shaking to make sure the pigment is all off the bottom of the can. Any colors with heavy pigments tend to settle and get rock hard in the bottom of the can. If your concerned with dry time....use 5% by volume #4007 Hardner (20 parts paint to 1 part 4007 Hardner). This should give you a nice glossy, tough surface. I would also suggest NOT clearing unless you feel the vinyl won't hold up. The paint will be fine. Last note....definately strain the paint....just to be sure.

--------------------
Frank Manning
Manning Enterprises Unlimited
24832 John J. Williams Hwy., Unit 1, PMB 10
Millsboro, DE., 19966

Posts: 32 | From: Longneck, DE | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve

We have been making MDO signs for 10 years- an never have had a paint failure. We seal the edges with /West Systems Epoxy mixed with their fairing compound ( powdery filler). We mix a lot of filler in so that it is very thick. Then we spread it on the edge , let it dry for at least 7 hours, then sand it. Each time we prime the front and the back we prime the edges. Currently we use Jay Cooke's primer. Our oldest MDo sign is 10 years old and we use Zinnser 1-2-3 Bullseye primer - 3 coats, followed by 2 coats of ONe Shot lettering enamel.

Diane Balch
Balch Signs

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1701 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank and Diane - Thank you for the info.

I put the first coat of ivory on the sign today. Boy i sure miss the smell of leaded one shot / chromatic ... [Wink]

I bought a gallon of Sign Prime because i'm doing some HDU signs so that's what i used for my primer coats.

I do need to get the filler from West Systems. I just put two heavy coats of epoxy without the filler on the edges. Previously i had only used the West Systems as a glue and had no need for the filler.

Thanks again for your help! [Thanks]
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!