Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Mack "The Virus" Brush

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mack "The Virus" Brush
Mike Contreras
Visitor
Member # 1571

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mike Contreras   Email Mike Contreras       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Just got back from the Muster and was Tryin out My new Mack Virus brush..... Anyone have any good luck with it. It is nice for doing straight lines, But for the twisty stuff... We will be gettin out the Razor blade for sure with this sucker....

I Cleaned it out, Oiled it up and hope tomorrow is gonna be better... Or Else...

Do you Know what they Call a Brush without Hair? A Stick....lol

--------------------
Mike Contreras
MAX Sign & Design
Gladstone , Michigan

Posts: 84 | From: Gladstone , Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Contreras
Visitor
Member # 1571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Contreras   Email Mike Contreras       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeh By the Way .. The Jensen JS-1 Swirly Q... Rox!!!! gotta try one of them... I was readin the Mack Brush hall of fame stuff. I didn't know they put a Waterproof size on the Brush for shipping.. I always took a new brush , attempted to wash it out in thinner and go... Water size with Oilbase thinners...hmmm.. we know what won't get cleaned out with thinner.. here is wha they say.....

http://www.mackbrush.com/Pages/brushcare.html

Because a water-soluble sizing is used to keep brushes stiff during shipping, they need to be cleaned right out of the package. " A lot of people don't know what to do with sizing, so they throw the brush into a bucket of water and let it soak until the hair floats free, and it starts losing hair when they take it out," says Glawson. Instead of soaking it, he suggests holding the brush under a stream of water, putting a dab of dish soap in, washing it out, and then drying and oiling it.

After the sizing is rinsed out, the brush is ready to be shaped.

I tried...I like.... Maybee we can get some good stuff outa the virus... But The Swirly-q...Oh yeh!!!! go get some....

Purple Pants out..(or the dude with spiderman at the Muster.. LOL )

--------------------
Mike Contreras
MAX Sign & Design
Gladstone , Michigan

Posts: 84 | From: Gladstone , Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan E Young
Visitor
Member # 2325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan E Young   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan E Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Virus. It does great curves for me. I also think it works great with urathane

--------------------
Ryan Young
Indocil Art & Design
indocil@comporium.net
803-980-6765

I highjacked Letterville!!
Winter Muster 2004

Posts: 904 | From: Rock Hill, SC | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hold all my new brushes under the tap of warm water with my fingers cradling the hair until the sizing is washed out without using soap. After which I lay the brush in Neatsfoot oil, turn it upside down, shape it and store it, even for usage during that day. To remove the oil I dip the brush in Rapid Remover. As far as the Virus, its good for thin cross-overs, BTW what animal does Taklon come from ?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeWayne Connot
Visitor
Member # 4417

Icon 15 posted      Profile for DeWayne Connot   Email DeWayne Connot       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may not know what I'm talking about, however I take my brushes out of the package and use them with oil based paint right away I don't have time to let the brush dry out from it's day at the beauty parlor (shampoo and cut)
Take a stabilo pencil or a good old fashioned #2 Ticondaroga, lay your brush on a hard flat surface---a table works nicely, but you manly types may choose to use your six pack abbs, gently hold your new brush with it's protective size, by its handle, with one hand as you roll the pencil over the brush hair with your other hand, roll in the same direction as the hair, ferrel towards the tip of the brush works the best, the pencil works as a grinder and very quickly loosens the size, which then can be shaken out with no residue left in the brush, your DRY brush is now ready for it's hot oil treatment before you use it for the first time. PS ------I added the word HOT, room temperature oil is just fine.

I also never cut a brush, I just buy the right brush for the right job, love both the Jenson brush and the Virus but each does a different job on this man's ranch.

DeWayne Connot

[ February 12, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: DeWayne Connot ]

--------------------
DeWayne Connot
DOA Flatliners
Pinstriping To Die For!
Northwales, Pa
dconnot@verizon.net

Posts: 28 | From: Northwales, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, well, it's Mrs.Connot's wild man for a son, DeWayne, man, they ain't caught you yet? Oops, I guess it's me they're chasing, remember Salt Lake and your missing panels? Sorry, it was funny at first, then, I guess mean, hope you survived.....hey, good thread, haven't heard that trick for a while, Izzie Posner taught me that for emergency's. How ya been? Great flames, welcome aboard, enjoy you here, hope you enjoy us, knowing a little about you says , you will.

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I am a big Swirly-Q fan myself. Even I can use it! Gotta get me the other size too. I heard it's the only kind Spiderman likes. The Virus one makes him itchy. Luv- JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brush "sizing" is a sugar & water mixture

BOTH removal processes will work!
wet...dissolves
dry...crushes

Got my "set" of 3 from Lazer Lines

I LIKE THEM [Applause]

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank mentions Izzie Posner....

How about folks reminisces sp? of that man??

I only met him once, had taken the Train down to SD/LA, heard about him from a shop I did a days work in, took train up to LA station, he's got a Huge Buick with a trunk you could live in, filled with wood cases full of drawers, full of Brushes!I bought 100.00 worth(1977), still got a few working, he was an old-fashioned Gentleman, took me to lunch in nearby "Spanishtown"??

Anyway, said he did a route, up and down the Coast.

Memories??

John Lennig / SignRider

is there a travelling font guy??

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Contreras
Visitor
Member # 1571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Contreras   Email Mike Contreras       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We need a site posting area , where people could post comments that have nothing to do with a post...that would be cool.... Mine here could be the first.... So how about those twin 125 Nascar Races today.....

--------------------
Mike Contreras
MAX Sign & Design
Gladstone , Michigan

PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 5 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a Race??? [Off Topic]

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stewart McLaren
Visitor
Member # 2737

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Stewart McLaren   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart McLaren       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey pimp daddy
just to add to your topic the two lesbians down the street from us were fighting out in the road last night ,,what a giggle

--------------------
stewart mclaren
mclaren signs
59 Gean Rd,
ALLOA SCOTLAND
FK10 2JP

Posts: 133 | From: stirling. scotland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianTheBrush
Visitor
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianTheBrush         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike...

If you've ever met that mis-wired freak of nature that Mack named the "virus" brush after...you certainly understand the limitations in it's applications.

Haaaaaaaa

As forementioned...I use my virus brush for everything from lines to curves to fast& light scripts.

Keep on keepin' on,

Brian Briskie

Posts: 465 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Contreras
Visitor
Member # 1571

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Mike Contreras   Email Mike Contreras       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta say that I truly don't like that brush... I don't like how it does corners... out lining its nice.

Script.... no way... wants to slide out. don't like to different length hairs.

Compared to the Swirly-q.... No comparison...

Virus...was a good name for the brush... had to Reformat my stripin kit, Washout all of the Brushes that came into contact with the "Purple Brush".... Situation normal in the Kit...

Oh yeh quick question.... Can that brush be trimmed... I May have gotten 3 bad ones... I hate to waste them seriously...

--------------------
Mike Contreras
MAX Sign & Design
Gladstone , Michigan

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John....yes Izzy was a 'character"!!!
The trunk on that Buick could have been subdivided into 2 apartments, and rented out!

I remember wads of brushes with a rubber band around them like asparagras....about every type and size that you could think of!

[Smile]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah!! Izzie; what a gentleman!! True Si, his trunk was always full of brushes and such. Left some very big foot prints to follow, no-one like him since.

My favorite memories of him, are with him at his apartment, making music. He was an accomplished concert violaist. He and I would spend hours just playing, time never traveled as fast as then, all over too soon. I really miss Izzie, miss his integrity, his compasion, his humor(man was king of the practical joke), his kindness(many ppl. owed him money when he died, because not having money never meant not having a brush, he'd give ya instant credit),his knowledge(his family introduced gold leaf to this country),and most of all, I miss Izzie.

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!