Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » "WATER JET CUTTING" Using it for a Glass/Art Project........What do you think??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "WATER JET CUTTING" Using it for a Glass/Art Project........What do you think??
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this idea to do this project for about 5 years, but never had a way to cut the glass! I found it!! A "water Jet cutter". It is amazing! It can cut anything from Titanium to wood!This machine can cut 12" steel to .00001" accuracy! .003" diameter stream of water at 2000 mph, 56,000 psi!!
Here is my project, what do you think? It will incorporate modern technology (Water Jet Cutting, LED Lighting) with "OLd Age methods (Gold Leaf, Sand Carving and Glue Chipping).

Oh, I forgot, you can have one of these for about $355,000.00

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a truly beautiful project. I'm sure the water jet makes a really clean cut but with my co-ordination I would pass. You cut cut your hand off in a heart beat [Wink] Then you could replace it with a titanium one and cut it off again!

On the serious side, isn't there a cheaper and less powerful one on the market? I know they use them in plants where flames are prohibited. A smooth cut like that would be a dream come true.

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony:

That is WAY COOL.

Hard to tell from your post if you're dreaming or if you indeed do plan to market the product. $355,000 for one probably isn't a price the market will bear. But I'll bet you could be really successful selling 1000 for $400 each.

Let me know if you want some help.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading that the machinery is $355,000, not the glass piece. Sure to be one helluva beautiful final product!

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don:

I was being playful about putting that big $355,000 price tag (yes...for the equipment) into perspective.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All he's gotta do is sell one piece at that price and he could buy his own equipment. [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Mackle
Visitor
Member # 3708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Mackle   Email Pat Mackle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony,
The water jet cutting is perfect for custom trophy designing. Gold leaf, chipping, air brush, glass bending and fusing are just some of the processes you can draw upon. You can see some of the trophies and other glass treatments that can be done if you care to check out some photos at www.decoglasspro.com
I've spent about twenty five years accumulating various ways to etch and decorate glass, stone & metal.
If you have any questions on your project, feel free to contact me.
One tip about waterjet cutting is that it cuts on a slight angle, so keep that in mind especially when separately formed parts are going to be joined together.
Pat

--------------------
Pat Mackle
Decorative Glass Processes
239 W. Maple Ave. Monrovia, Ca. 91016
626-359-0300
decoglasspro@earthlink.net

Posts: 13 | From: Monrovia, Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Mackle
Visitor
Member # 3708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Mackle   Email Pat Mackle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony,
The water jet cutting is perfect for custom trophy designing. Gold leaf, chipping, air brush, glass bending and fusing are just some of the processes you can draw upon. You can see some of the trophies and other glass treatments that can be done if you care to check out some photos at www.decoglasspro.com
I've spent about twenty five years accumulating various ways to etch and decorate glass, stone & metal.
If you have any questions on your project, feel free to contact me.
One tip about waterjet cutting is that it cuts on a slight angle, so keep that in mind especially when separately formed parts are going to be joined together.
Pat

--------------------
Pat Mackle
Decorative Glass Processes
239 W. Maple Ave. Monrovia, Ca. 91016
626-359-0300
decoglasspro@earthlink.net

Posts: 13 | From: Monrovia, Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a company on the same industrial estate as me with waterjet cutting, they did all sorts from signs to bullet proof glass (their main customer)....but went bankrupt...I guess this country is full of moose loving naturists...so bullet proof glass was not a priority [Smile]

Seriously there is another guy about 10 mins away who also has a 4x8 waterjet cutting set up and is doing really well, he has done a few jobs for me including Forex, HDU and aluminium and steel. Water and mdf don't seem to work so well [Smile]

There are some major construction companies here using it for cutting up concrete motorways

I have just bought an AXYz router so I can do more myself but will still use him for stainless steel and now glass maybe in the future [Smile]

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tony, Nice project... I live in the home that was owned by the inventing engineer of the waterjet. It was developed by Ingersol Rand. We purchased it from him in 90, when he moved to the Detroit area.

--------------------
"Don't change horses in midstream, unless you spot one with longer legs" bronzeo oti
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
www.imagemakerart.com
jack@imagemakerart.com

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my specs call out waterjet cutting, especially for push-thru letters, about 5 years ago we did green glass address numbers, waterjet cut, subsurface painted with a backer applied, they were beutiful.....exciting to find a new way, it opens up more possibilities

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1539 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!