Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » My scanner is making pin stripes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My scanner is making pin stripes
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My scanner is suddenly making colored pin stripes on color scans only. In grey scale its fine. I've tried playing with adjustments and tried auto adjust and nothing gets rid of them. Any ideas?

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
My late scanner did this very thing a few months before its demise.
I was able to preserve it for a short time by blowing it out with compressed air.
Hope this helps!
Love-JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fayette pivoda
Visitor
Member # 4339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fayette pivoda   Email fayette pivoda   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If just one or a couple stripes oddly spaced, then I say the reader bar on the carraige inside is dirty, carefully get to it for a quick wipe with some glass cleaner on soft rag, while you got the scanner apart wipe down the underside of the glass face too.

If they're regularly spaced and the scanner is parallel ported to your computer, then check your port settings in the BIOS, some driver installations have been know to change these, especially if you connected a printer through the scanner.

If the scanner is one of these newer USB connected things, then I'd say chuck it, the last one I got cost $60 and I'll not spend time fixing it should it bug out.

It's almost to where I'd like to keep a 2nd new one around simply as a late night back up, they're that cheap anymore.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
fayette pivoda
signizmz
Denver Colorado

Posts: 77 | From: englewood, colorado | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a older plustek scanner that needed a updated driver to fix that same problem. So first try looking for a update but if this is a problem that just started it might be the way the scanning bar moves on the track it might need greasing with some white lithium grease. And like others have said if this does not fix the problem well scanners are very cheap it might be time for a new one.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave..With all the money you make [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ...just go buy a new scanner...$79 max...throw it away when it heads south!!!!!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8878 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I wish. I'm in the biggest cash crunch since I've been in business. It has to be a mechanical problem since no new software or any other additions have been installed.

I might have to pull out my old grey scale scanner as a stop gap.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, if I remember correctly you're a mac guy. Being that mac's were scsi by and large, I'm guessing your scanner is scsi or possibly usb/firewire? First thing I'd do is reinstall the software, as the 'layer' of data travel can sometimes corrupt a driver. (in Windows, it's called the aspi layer) Before you reinstall the driver on the CD that came with your scanner, try the website of the manufacturer for a newer version.

It's very rare for a scanner to go ape across the entire scan area, and still work. I'm betting it's a driver/software issue.

If nothing else works, I'm sure you can go buy a scanner, use it for your immediate need, return it for a refund. I once did this with a torque wrench from sears to change a blown head gasket!

--------------------
Robb Lowe

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i knew a guy in sarasota....hada LAWN CARE/HANDY MAN business. used to do that kinda crap all the time.....he needed a big chain saw for one job....went to sears got a big mutaha...did the tree work..cleaned up the saw and took it back...he called SEARS RENTALS!!!! i never thought much of him, for that....but he thought it was funny...
iam one of those guys....i buy tools/equip if i find a good deal on something, and i think i will use it one time...i buy it!!!
i do most of my own car repairs...was in BIG LOTS one day.....they had a 36", 3/8 drive rachet, EXTENTION..yea 36 INCHES!!!!! well it wasnt a MAC/SNAP-ON/PROTO.....but i knew that sometime, someplace i WOULD need that!!!!!!! hehehehehe this is me.....hehehhe

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dave,
You could always sell it to Milwaukee Iron!
That way their "graphics" could have an outline!
Baddabing! [Eek!]
Luv
Silly Jilly

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,
Are you scanning a photograph or a process printed piece?
Evenly spaced "pinstripes" from a process printed scan are not unusual and can be minimized by slanting the original on the scanner bed and applying some of the descreening filters.

If you have a few random streaks across the whole scan I'd attribute it to dust. I had that problem and out of frustration, I pulled the thing apart, cleaned the glass inside and out and blew a little compressed air, VERY lightly. There was no visible dust or dirt anywhere before or after this process but when it was put back together the streaks were gone.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!