Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Frozen 1-Shot ? Is It Still OK?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frozen 1-Shot ? Is It Still OK?
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been around this biz since 1975, so I feel just a bit dumb asking this question.

We don't get to do much lettering these days. Our supply of 1-Shot has always been stored in a heated shop. About a month ago, the trusty shop furnace gave up the ghost. We're in the process of replacing it, but it hasn't been a #1 priority.

I still like to do my Cousin's signs for him. He's a master mechanic and always manages to keep our vehicles on the road. Due to a minor accident, the lettering on his truck needs to be redone. That brings up a couple questions.

1. What is the shelf life on unopened 1-Shot?

2. Is the paint affected by freezing temps?

Can I use the old stuff I have in stock or do I have to crawl into the car and drive 15 miles thru a blizzard to get new stuff fast? We used to walk that far to school naked as kids, but I'm old and my butt still hurts.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 10 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old One Shot never dies...it dries!

John Byrd Signs

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it Steve!
I use 1-Shot outta the same can for years. Just pull off the skin & stir. On an unopened can, you may have to stir A LOT. But it is certainly worth a try!
You know from personal experience how cold my garage is. I have had no troubles painting with 1-Shot stored therein.
In fact, it might be to your benefit that yer 1-Shot is older. It probably still has enuff lead in it to keep it slick!
Love-JILL
PS
Hope yer bum is on the mend!
 -

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delzell
Visitor
Member # 1965

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Delzell         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad it is too cold for the red thong! [Big Grin]

But it does look like RED is Steve's color.

Hope you feel better soon! At least you are not a car in the shop [Frown]

--------------------
Debbie

Posts: 674 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Mathel
Visitor
Member # 526

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jerry Mathel   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Mathel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I suppose there is a shelf life to 1-Shot, but I've used some that had been around for quite a while and it still seemed to work fine. In fact I recently found a can of Sherwin-Williams lime green that had to have been laying around the shop since the early 70's, and it was still good as new. Jill is right however, that it takes a lot of stirring.

I've never found that cold weather hurts oil based paint. It does however, make it awfully thick if it's still cold. A trick I have used is to set the paint can in a pan of hot water for a while to warm it up, rather than add extra thinner.

--------------------
Jerry Mathel
Retired
Grants Pass, Oregon
signs@grantspass.com

Posts: 916 | From: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Manning Jr.
Visitor
Member # 2699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Manning Jr.   Email Frank Manning Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey boys and girls....1Shot paint will last a long time, especially if un-opened. For warranty purposes, we do not accept returns if over a year old. I've known a number "Ole Time Sign Painters" who have found old paint at the back of a dusty old shelf. With thorough mixing the paint should be fine. Just watch for lumps of pigment....Pigments sometimes get rock hard when left untouched for long periods. As far as using after being left in frozen temps...it should be fine when warmed up and mixed very well. Paint acts like us when cold...we get stiff and find it hard to move around.

--------------------
Frank Manning
Manning Enterprises Unlimited
24832 John J. Williams Hwy., Unit 1, PMB 10
Millsboro, DE., 19966

Posts: 32 | From: Longneck, DE | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your replies. I sure wish I had a tool like this BB back in 1975. That Frank Manning is one handsome looking guy. I just know I've seen him before somewhere.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trick is to store paint tins upside down on the shelf! Then when the skin forms over time it's on the bottom when you reopen the tin. Just make sure the lid is on tight [Eek!]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve,

I been given a few can of OS paint that were up to 10 years old and still got use from them. They'd never been opened. (there was plenty of rust on the lids, though...)

I've used OS paints that have been frozen and if the lumps are there, I add a little thinner and run it though a paper auto paint strainer.

Hope this helps...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy Hill
Visitor
Member # 4413

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jimmy Hill   Author's Homepage   Email Jimmy Hill       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always just put a few drops of Paint Sav in the One Shot paint and that seems to work just great at stopping the skin problems.

Many of my cans of One Shot are around five years old and I have not had a problem but then again it never gets that cold in sunny Florida.

When I lived in Connecticut it was a pain in the neck to always have to move the cans inside out of my truck in the winter time and thank god I moved to Florida about 10 years ago.

I always thought the birds up north were smarter then the people because even they went south each winter.
Just My Opinion. Jimmy Hill

--------------------
Jim Hill
Nostalgic Racing Decals Inc.
637 Sedgewick Way
Palm Harbor, Florida. 34683
jimbo1734683@yahoo.com

Posts: 22 | From: Palm Harbor, Florida | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used some screen enamel once that had been frozen, printed on some plexi pieces, it chipped off bad. Redid job with new ink, no problem.

John Lennig / SignRider

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!