Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Which vinyl cling the best on rear winshields

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which vinyl cling the best on rear winshields
Desire Rusovsky
Visitor
Member # 2876

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Desire Rusovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Desire Rusovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is the best vinyl for decals on a rear windshield?
Had several bad experiences, specially when snow is in the mix.

Some vinyls cling perfectly on some windshield and stay 2-3 years without problem. Some vinyls don't ... [Dunno]
Recently I make a vinyl decal on a rear windshield, it cling perfectly during weeks, until the snow! With the snow, the Scotchcal just left all adhesion, almost falling with the weight of the snow. Some days after, the vinyl was sticking anew. Tried with Oracal 851, same results.
Any ideas?

thank you!

[ January 16, 2004, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Desire Rusovsky ]

--------------------
Desire Rusovsky
SDG Signs
rue du Lac 24
1342 Le Pont
Switzerland
desire@sdgsigns.com
http://www.sdgsigns.com

Posts: 218 | From: Le Pont / Switzerland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny Bussell
Deceased

Member # 3746

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Danny Bussell   Email Danny Bussell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have run into cold and Ice makes windows slippery.I have used hair driers to preheat the area. And Hair Spray, sprayed on clean rag then wiped.then vinyl applied. make a test. see if it works for you. [Cool]

--------------------
Danny Bussell
Tujunga, California

Bootleg on Chat

"Keep The Rubber Side Down"

Posts: 213 | From: Tujunga, California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desire Rusovsky
Visitor
Member # 2876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desire Rusovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Desire Rusovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Busselle:
I have run into cold and Ice makes windows slippery.I have used hair driers to preheat the area. And Hair Spray, sprayed on clean rag then wiped.then vinyl applied. make a test. see if it works for you. [Cool]

[Thanks]
I could try since the last one was for an hairdresser [Big Grin]

--------------------
Desire Rusovsky
SDG Signs
rue du Lac 24
1342 Le Pont
Switzerland
desire@sdgsigns.com
http://www.sdgsigns.com

Posts: 218 | From: Le Pont / Switzerland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did a hyhundi tibiron whole rear window with red avery A-6 and made a JL AUDIO logo in the middle with etch vinyl...and it stayed on the car till a state cop pulled him over and said clean it off or tow it!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Joiner
Visitor
Member # 1814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Joiner   Email Kathy Joiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, State Cop? Was he the Sign Police? [Wink]

[ January 17, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Kathy Joiner ]

--------------------
Kathy Joiner
River Road Graphics
41628 River Road
Ponchatoula, La.70454

Old enough to know better...Too young to resist.

Posts: 1891 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I GUESS...

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hammond
Visitor
Member # 4394

Icon 6 posted      Profile for John Hammond   Email John Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been applying to auto windows for years...
normally the vinyls aren't as critical as the window prep and application temperature. As long
as you stick with a premium cast and do proper
prep time and temp shouldn't be a factor. Clean the window with a good solvent and push a single-
edge razor blade across the wet glass like a tint
guy would do before film application...working from top to bottom of the application area. Hope-
fully you're applying in a heated shop...even so if the glass is cold to the touch use the car's
front or rear defrosters to speed up heating even
with a heatgun or hair dryer. You want the glass
at a decent application temp. 60-70, room temp but not hot or warm to the touch. If you wet mount, alchol-based is a good choice since it evaporates quickly. And also if you wet-mount always resqueegee after premask removal and lightly dry with hair dryer prior to sending the
vehicle back out into the cold. Trick is to get
a good grab of the adhesive prior to sending it into the elements where it doesn't have a chance
to set into full tack. Every time I do a glass
application I tell the client to give it 24hrs.
before washing the vehicle. Winter or Summer. I've only had three returns in 15 years.

--------------------
John Hammond
Hammond Signs
P.O.Box 1433 Athens,TN
423-745-2310
426wedge@bellsouth.net

Posts: 4 | From: Athens, TN | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!